Confusing Terminology

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date

recercare

Enlightened
What should i look for when measuring lightperformance. It's common to use Candlepower, but this is misleading.
I have a flashlight(6000 candlepower) and i have metal halid headlight(3500 candlepower). The headlight(Cateye Stadium 3)is much much brighter and stronger in spite og its lower candlepower.
I have also a Sigma Mirage X, where the lightperformance is measured in LUX and a Energizer Double Barrel flashlight that is measured in Lumen.
So, which one (of the above) should i look for when when buying a light with narrow strong beem, and which one when buying a light with wide flow beam.
.lars

recercare

Enlightened
Well, i hoped to get a clear answer. Instead i got many confusing ones. However, i am a bit more enlightened now, so thanks
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, the reason for the confusion is that the flashlight companies do not want you to be able to perform meaningful comparisions. Sorry to disappoint you, but it is the truth. Walt

PS: that is why there are member's sites here which depict different beams at the same distance. Do a search, and you will find a lot of good information. Walt

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:
What should i look for when measuring lightperformance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By far the best thing is when you get the light distribution diagram and the flux in Lumen. Actually you do not really need the latter one, but it is nice to have.
And even when manufacturers give you the beam candela and the beam's half width, two lights with the same data can bequite different. A light distribution diagram says all. And the companies also have different point's of view: Some think, beam candela are the most important thing, others may think it is the luminous flux. And several companies (I'm shure) don't have even the equipment to give you the luminous flux. Peak candela measurements are very easy and cheap.
For some few companies it may also be true that they prefer the higher number for marketing reasons.