CPF Only Pre-order: Arc-AAA Ultraviolet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
As some of you already know, we plan to ship the new Arc-AAA ultraviolet soon (next week?). Ultraviolet is above the visible spectrum. It is sometimes called a "black light" and is used to make material fluoresce. There are hundreds of uses for ultraviolet light.

This new UV flashlight is made possible by the just released NSPU510CS LED from Nichia that is one of the nicest 5mm UV LEDs I have seen in awhile. This LED just started shipping this month from Nichia and we received one of the first lots.

This unit has all the Arc-AAA advantages including drop resistance, 100ft water proof, partial current regulation, 5hrs to 50% brightness runtime, uses a common AAA cell, Hard Anodize finish, etc. Cost is $44.95 each. Each unit is laser marked, "Arc-U".

The UV LED is rated at over 10mw and produces a 40 degree beam. I expect lifespan is about 1000hrs (typical for uv LEDs). We warranty the entire light for 1 year.

I took some a few pictures demonstrating the effect this light has on various materials.

I got a free pen awhile back that fluoresces quite nicely.
Img_5237.jpg

Counterfeit currency detection. Here is a $20 US bill. Notice the green strip shows up nice and strong.
Img_5282.jpg

$50 bill, the strip is defined but the color is not as strong.
Img_5285.jpg

same with the $100 bill
Img_5287.jpg

The blue strip in the $5 bill is nice and strong.
Img_5216.jpg

This easter egg contains material that can be charged up with uv.
Img_5305.jpg

This is leak detection dye that evaporates after an hour or so. It is for AC systems. You can see the beam distribution (40 degrees for this LED) in this shot. After the dye dried, the writing disappeared.
Img_5315.jpg

Stain on the carpet revealed with UV. The light is about 1 foot from the stain. The carpet has been steam cleaned several times. I suspect the stain was a result of one of the animals throwing up.
Img_5317.jpg

Here's a video of the same stain. You tube

Found this scorpion at a friend's house. I have found about a dozen scorpions with one of the new Arc-AAA uv I have been carrying. After dark, scorpions show up from about 2-3 feet away and are much easier to find with a uv light than with a normal flashlight.
scorpion2.jpg

Like I said, we expect to start shipping next week and taking orders from our website at the same time.

But since you heard about this on the CPF, CPF members can pre-order this light from our site by using the special link below:

Pre-order the Arc-AAA ultraviolet now for $44.95/ea

There is no other way to get your order in the system except through the link above. I plan on adding the product to the website for our other visitors next week.

Some uses for the Arc-AAA Ultraviolet

- Entry control at events (pass mark on people's hands)
- Forensics (using "Luminol", etc to show blood, semen, etc)
- Leak detection using fluorescent dyes (automotive, etc)
- Curing UV adhesives
- Detecting repairs in pottery, china, etc
- Stamp collecting
- Scorpion/insect hunting
- Law enforcement (detecting UV strip or insignia on ID)
- Product QA (detect authentic strips on product)
- Counterfeit bill detection
- Credit car counterfeit detection (various UV marks are used on cards)
- Geology/mineralogy (identify minerals)
- Parties
- Hotel cleanliness (detect substances on the sheets - requires regent)
- Carpet stain detection
- Pest control (detect rodent/animal urine)
- Electronics (erase EPROM's, test sensors, etc)
- Military (test UV signature of uniform as a result of detergent residue, test night vision equipment, light up scenes for starlight goggles)
- Lab/science experiments

Please note: This is a pre-order. This means we will ship once the product is ready. I expect this to be next week, but delays could happen. Of course, we don't charge your card until we ship your order. Also, supply is limited, if we cannot fill you order, we will cancel it.

peter

Last edited:

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dealers will be able to order later. stock will be limited for awhile until we can ramp up inventory.

I just talked to Maria and she says that we should be able to have some units ready to ship by the end of next week. First priority will go to these pre-orders of course.

peter

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wavelength wasn't listed. It's 375nm (min 370, max 380). Nice! Lots better than the 395-405nm purple UV leds.

IHA

Newly Enlightened
I will order one soon :)

One suggestion: Arc-UV looks more cool than Arc-U IMO!

Antonio

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to see you are releasing one of your new lights! I'm not sure I need this one, but it looks great.

I hope this means we will be seeing the new Arc AAA soon. I've been waiting for that for a while. And soon thereafter the new ARC LS PD or whatever you decide to call it. I can't wait!!!

Last edited:

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Hmm...I'd like to order one, but the shipping calculator doesn't like my military APO address. Any chance you can fix that, Peter?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greg,

Send me an email with the order details and we will try an manual ship, bypassing the automatic system. Also, you should be eligible for the military discount.

peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Previous versions of the Arc-AAA UV where either the 365nm, 2mw, 10 degree Nichia or the 395nm, 12mw wilycon. The new Arc-AAA UV is a 370nm, 40 degree, 10mw nichia. So it is deeper than the 395nm and brighter than the 365nm. The end result is that you have a good combination of UV and brightness.

peter

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, do you know whether it's capable of curing, such as Norland's products? My guess is that it isn't powerful enough, but it never hurts to ask.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tested it with UV cured epoxy. I wouldn't be suprised if it worked because I have seen people use a 370nm photon and this is the same wavelength and probably a bit brighter.

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.