Cr123 kaboom likely? Golston

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking about buying bulk Golston batteries from china, but i want to see if i will get a kaboom from my 2 cell lights. What is the chance i will ever have a kaboom from using golston?
Thanks

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC most of the venting with flame incidences have occurred with non name brand batteries. It might be safer to stick with the more mainstream "name brands" like Duracell, Energizer, Surefire etc. Safety is worth the extra cents per cell IMO. I could be wrong so I hope someone will correct me if I am.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking about buying bulk Golston batteries from china, but i want to see if i will get a kaboom from my 2 cell lights. What is the chance i will ever have a kaboom from using golston?
Thanks

slightly greater than your chance of winning the lottery this week. :laughing:

probabilty says, greater than using some battery that gets herassed by american safety laws, and osha, and customs, and all the other laws and lawsuits that make it hard to do things in america.

there are not a LOT of kabooms happening, vrses the total number of this stuff being used, do we include Fissles.
what kind of light?
what is its regulation type?
how does it react when one cell is depleated?
does it put undue pressure on the cell?
what temperatures will it be in?
how do you use the light? does it get hot?
how much current does the light use?
will your wifey turn it on, see no light and stuff some mismatched cell in?
do you aim it at your face?
does the light cost a lot?
if it started failing badly, do you have a plan, would it effect others?
will you baby the cells?
does the manufacture replace or repair lights or HOUSES damaged by thier batteries?
will you have an unessisary amount of them parked?
will they get aged before you use them?

questions you can ask Yourself. variables like the above might be important.

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its generally safe, i would rather buy bulk Golston from china on ebay, than buy a few brand name batteries from the uk.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old Golston batteries had very poor runtime (50-60% of brand name batteries), don't know about the new ones...
Here's a thread I started about cheap CR123A batteries for people that are not from US.
You can get Energizers from Fenix-store for 1.75$ including shipping to UK, if you buy 16 batteries. But they have an expiration date of 2012...

I recently got 20 Energizers for $20, +$5 shipping from seriouslights.com, they are going out of business and selling all their stock. (sorry but everything is already sold out)

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy some name brand name cells for around $2.00 per cell from some online sources. I bought 16 Energizer CR123's from the Fenix Store for less than $2.00 per cell. With the CPF discount and free shipping worldwide it cost me $28.52 USD.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
They came in four small thin cardboard boxes with four cells to a box. They were very snug in the box (cell were side by side) so there was no way of the cells +ve's and -ve's interacting. All four boxes were put into a bubble manila envelope.

greenLED

Flashaholic
If its generally safe, i would rather buy bulk Golston from china on ebay, than buy a few brand name batteries from the uk.
I can't think of how else to say this, so here it goes:

You are setting yourself up for some pretty bad ju-ju following that train of thought. What little you think you're gaining in monetary savings is being offset by the potential of these cells to go :poof:

Check SilverFox's 123 battery shootout (sticky in batts forum) - Golston are among the bottom of the pack.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot thinking you're saving money buying cheap batteries.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have decided i will buy my CR123 from Fenix store usa.. much cheaper than uk and should be as reliable. Thanks for the help.