CR2 light revisited (long)

d'mo

Enlightened
Hey, Larry,

How can I get on this list of friends you keep giving these amazing flashlights to?!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Bart and kiessling,

I remember the episode well. (My all time favorite "space opera!")

Everybody,

Thanks again. I've talked to a couple of shops informally about getting them produced, and they would just be too expensive. The true killer is the infamous "Luxeon Lottery." Then there's that eternal optimist, Murphy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
As long as I have an honest paycheck coming, I don't have the stones to attempt it.

Larry

paulr

Flashaholic
Larry, how long does the CR2 DD run with the R2H before it reaches the brightness of, say, an Arc AAA with a fresh AAA? Do you think it's reasonable to DD an R2H Luxeon Star (i.e. with the Star PCB) with a CR2 and no heat sink? Thanks.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it is never reasonable to run a luxeon without a heatsink! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif (well, yes it is, but not in my mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

dd from 3v is still driving the r2h luxeon at, or close to specs, which means ample heatsinking should still be used.
i believe the figure was if the current was less than 100ma, additional heatsinking wouldn't be required?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
paulr,

I didn't take notes when I ran the thing all night for 4 nights. That one started at abt 160mA on a fresh CR2. The current draw drops steeply as the battery depletes, so it just keeps going and going and.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My EDC one pulls 200+ at start, and probably wont run as long. Those lucky enough to have gotten one correctly binned for Vf should treasure it!

Larry

Larry

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, one of these little monsters and something like an amber HD would be pretty nice (since the R2H's seem to be all gone now). The 3v should drive it right at spec too.

Stop making cool stuff like this and then not doing a run for us CPF'ers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Green,

When I have gone though the archive I never find what I am looking for. You seem to have mastered it or is it alot of heavy lifting?

Good job Green.

greenLED

Flashaholic
JonSidneyB said:
When I have gone though the archive I never find what I am looking for. You seem to have mastered it or is it alot of heavy lifting?

Both... sort of. :green: Well, not quite. I had a vague recollection of what the thread titles were and what I was looking for - that helped.

I'm using a two-step approach:

1. Google search terms and hope the links show up on its cache
2. Take note of the title thread, posting date, and CPF section where it was posted
3. Head to the archive and start browsing
4. Bring up the "full version" of the thread

- you *might* be able to stop here -
5. Make a post to bump the thread.
6. This loads the thread, but the link is still not valid :green:
7. Open the last post (loads in a separate window)
8. Click on the link to "full thread" (top right corner)
9. Grab that link - that'll work.

I haven't figured out why, but sometimes bringing up the "full version" was enough. In a few cases I had to follow steps 5-9. Once you bump the thread, the "new" link works. :confused:

If you just browse the archives... :green:

[rant mode]I noticed today the CPF search doesn't accept search terms shorter than 4 letters! :mad:[/rant mode]

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF search is really annoying. I've resorted to using GOOGLE to search for CPF archives. Anyways, nice to see this bumped. The Larry light is awesome!