Cree flashlights intimidate two troublemakers

LowWorm

Enlightened
No, I want them to refrain from walking their dog down my street after 11:00PM because that causes the dogs to bark... very loudly.

Where I live (Texas) people don't do stupid things and expect to get away with them over and over again, especially when they are bothering other people.

Well you are pretty inconsiderate then. But you probably live in one of those wimp infested states like Kalifornia so nobody has said anything to you about it... I suppose.

Now don't get mad at me for telling you that you have a bugger on your face. Be mad at all those who let you wear it all day long.

Your assumptions about parnass are off-base and uncalled for.

I agree with the original poster's use of flashlights - troublemakers are a different category altogether, and a little (or a lot) of light used judiciously can make all the difference.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The houses were by the water so they were on stilts and not very sound-proof. And being elevated, you were subject to more noise going above other stuff that would normally baffle it.

OMG.. that's a worst-case scenario right there! Might as well hand the dogs a megaphone!

But if we're gonna ***** about dogs then kids aren't very far away. Especially the ones that are allowed to run up and down the aisles of restaurants screaming. I've just gotta handle this stuff... one problem at a time. :D

40 years old and no kids, here. And I feel the same way about screaming, undisciplined kids as I do about dogs allowed to bark uncontrolled! Usually can be traced back to poor training by the owners, too...

I miss those other barking dogs just a bit though, as they made very good burglar alarms. My new neighbor's pickup truck was stolen just a few weeks ago, about 3:30 in the morning.

My neighbor's dog barks at me. My neighbor's dog barks at the postman. My neighbor's dog barks at my cats when he sees them at our screen door. My neighbor's dog barks at our neighbors across the street. But when three miscreants stole our neighbors scooter right off their front porch while they were home, three feet from where their dog prefers to do most of his barking, their dog didn't utter so much as a peep! (Our neighbor across the street is the one who saw the miscreants steal the scooter, so that is how we know it was three kids.) So if one is depending on a barking dog to deter crime, think again! I think there are good, well-trained watch dogs, and then there are those who like to bark until the axe hits the grindstone, then they cower.

Drawbar

Newly Enlightened
You guys are all crazy. Why not just tell these people they are anoying you. Or..hell... maybe live with it. Because...eventually you or one of your kids will **** them off or maybe someone else. That`s why they call it a community. BTW I never bring a light to a gunfight.

If you dudes start killing off dog walkers, firecraker kids and camera dudes I would think that in all eventuality you may have to go and fight for yourselves with all those nice flashlights in a far away country. Let the firework kids grow up and save your ***..maybe give one of em a cool flashlight before they put their life on the line for you.

Gryloc

Enlightened
I think that you guys can draw this thread to a close. It is going way off topic and it seems like it is getting a bit out of control. Even my original post about the odd camera man was off topic because I did not even use a Cree flashlight. I think there are better places here where stories like this can be told and our differences can be discussed. Well, I am disappointed in the CPF community because of how this thread has turned out. Some things said were disturbing and how low some have gotten to say these dark things saddens me. I am glad that there are no more threads on the CPF like this one. Now, I am not one of those "wimps", but I just know that this is not in the spirit of CPF. Hmmm...

-Tony

retrodog

Newly Enlightened
Your assumptions about parnass are off-base and uncalled for.
How so?

I'll apologize for many of the things that I said, but I still think that regularly walking through your neighborhood "late night" knowing full well that it will cause the the dogs to bark is an inconsiderate thing to do. I'm surprised that anyone would admit to it. I am also a little concerned that some on here would paint me as a bully for shining a spot light on a repetitive offender. Yes, I would have felt bad if she had actually injured herself, but this action was taken from several nights of being unecessarily awaken and then spending 1-2 hrs. trying to get back to sleep. I guess I could have just asked her to not walk down my street any more but she would have just been causing the problem for someone else. She needed a little feedback and chose the spotlight. I was a little pissed off at the time, due to the circumstances.

And remember, I merely shared a story about something that happened between myself and someone else (who is not a forum member here). I never thought that similar rude behavior by others would lead them to make rude comments to me about it. I contend that my original action was not an attack on anyone's character here, but someone got defensive about it due to similar activities to the lady in my story. I didn't kill a puppy or a kitten. So what's up with that?

I guess the thing that we need to remember, and is on topic here, is that these bright lights that we all play with and consider to be "toys" are indeed a serious tool that can have a stunning impact on someone. Back in the day, when I was in law enforcement (deputy sheriff), we didn't even have Mag lights yet. Just regular double or tripple D things that gave off about 20 lumens... on a good day, maybe less. I would have given a lot of money for some of these modern flashlights that everyone is just sticking on the shelf because something more cool just came out. The ability to instantly shine 100+ lumens into someones eyes is an incredible weapon, but still a non-lethal weapon. I guess the real story/point here is that we need to realize it and not abuse it.

So with that I'll let go of this thread and humbly apologize to parnass ( well as humbly as I can do something anyway) if I offended him/her. Sorry, Parnass.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
So with that I'll let go of this thread and humbly apologize to parnass ( well as humbly as I can do something anyway) if I offended him/her. Sorry, Parnass.

Apology accepted. We'll have to agree to disagree on late night walking.

Enjoy the forums, retrodog.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I find that younger kids in our neighborhood like to make a lot of noise at night while they play manhunt until 11:30PM (keep in mind they are like 11 year olds) so, to get them to stop I just simply whipped out my L7 one night and found a good hiding spot about 20 feet away from them and each time one of them came around I fired up the L7 and blinded them, they have not made any noise since and have decided to stop playing man hunt that late.

cv3po

Banned
I apologize for the off topic post but this (to me) is an interesting thread. My mother asked me the other day "you don't really believe that people evolved from animals (sic) do you ?". Anyone who doubts that should read this thread. It amazes me that folks live together in mass numbers as well as they do! Saying that humans act like beasts is insulting to the beasts. Anybody who would draw a firearm on teenagers acting like teenagers is just paranoid! I don't care if they break into my car and steal my stereo or make alot of noise with firecrackers or whatever (all of which I've done in my youth) if they are not threatening me physically I could not justify using deadly force. Maybe a good old fashioned asswhoopin but that's about it (and if you're thinking that would just escalate things then you watch too much TV, in my experience even thugs would rather slug it out with fists then with guns). But it still amazes me how people get so bent so quickly over things like dogs barking, drivers not using turn signals, noisy children, different ethnicities, different religions, different politics or even flashlights! In the immortal words of Rodney King..........can't we all just get along? Nope

Again I apologize for ranting, I have a couple of beverages and all of a sudden I'm a freakin' psychotherapist! :drunk::shrug:

Gaffle

Enlightened
Uh, excuse me. Those are light sabers, and I keep them with my collection of "action figures".

:D

*Talks in a "geeky" voice*

So, how many amps are you pulling with your sabers? I especially like the blue beamed saber, it seems to cut through metal much faster, but the red beamed saber does not destroy my night vision...

(I had to get this in before this thread was closed, mission accomplished.):nana:

turkdc

Newly Enlightened
*Talks in a "geeky" voice*

So, how many amps are you pulling with your sabers? I especially like the blue beamed saber, it seems to cut through metal much faster, but the red beamed saber does not destroy my night vision...

(I had to get this in before this thread was closed, mission accomplished.):nana:

"Now the circle is complete..."

trivergata

Enlightened
Anybody who would draw a firearm on teenagers acting like teenagers is just paranoid! I don't care if they break into my car and steal my stereo or make alot of noise with firecrackers or whatever (all of which I've done in my youth)

As someone who has been assaulted and robbed repeatedly by people in the 16-22 age range, I'm going to have to disagree with you on all counts. I have done a fair amount of mischeif making in my day, but never a random crime against someone's property. While I don't feel deadly force is justified to prevent property crimes, I DO want the person on the other end of my shotgun to THINK I do - BTW, the shotgun has 4 shells with less-than-lethal rounds in it for the "troublemakers" (which I HAVE been shot with to see how they feel - they suck.) followed by 4 shells of 00 buck for the real bad guys.

My work takes me to some pretty iffy places, and oddly enough I've had more trouble with "kids" in a very upscale area of north Houston called "The Woodlands", which is about 45 minutes from where I live. The people in this modern Sodom are unbeliveable - there was a kid busted for stealing cars who was driving the BMW his parents bought him for his 16th B-day to get them! I personally have been hit 4 times there with break-ins, and 3 out of the 4 times, caught the kids, all of which were 16-19 and living at home with families in $200k and up houses. I have caught a 14 year old slashing my tires in the move theater parking garage at half past midnight. It was the fifth time in a month that he was caught doing this, and his parents still were dropping him off at the mall on saturday and picking him up after 1AM, and the cops did nothing about it, except call his parents. Why the hell was he allowed out this late to begin with, and after the - I don't know - first or second time, why wasn't he sent off to juvie? As we speak, I am trying to track down the little SOB that stole my radio sunday night!

My point is kids these days ARE different than they used to be, and I'm not a 80 year old fogey, I'm 30!

I think the attitude of "let kids be kids" or has allowed some to get so far out of control that we are forced to do something extreme, and no I don't mean shoot them, I mean as a society, we need to do something to stop this trend. Being a teenager does not give you the right to wreak havoc on society; being a criminal is not something you grow out of, and there needs to be a distinction between the two.

firecrackers = mischief, theft = criminal. That's called the law. It applies to everyone (ideally).

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My neighbor's dog barks at me. My neighbor's dog barks at the postman. My neighbor's dog barks at my cats when he sees them at our screen door. My neighbor's dog barks at our neighbors across the street. But when three miscreants stole our neighbors scooter right off their front porch while they were home, three feet from where their dog prefers to do most of his barking, their dog didn't utter so much as a peep! (Our neighbor across the street is the one who saw the miscreants steal the scooter, so that is how we know it was three kids.) So if one is depending on a barking dog to deter crime, think again! I think there are good, well-trained watch dogs, and then there are those who like to bark until the axe hits the grindstone, then they cower.

Barking dog does not equal guard dog. A guard dog will bark at a threat, where other dogs bark at everything.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I want them to refrain from walking their dog down my street after 11:00PM because that causes the dogs to bark... very loudly.

Where I live (Texas) people don't do stupid things and expect to get away with them over and over again, especially when they are bothering other people.

Well you are pretty inconsiderate then. But you probably live in one of those wimp infested states like Kalifornia so nobody has said anything to you about it... I suppose.

Why is the problem the person walking the dogs and not your stupid dog owner neighbors who can't control their pets? Why not shine your bright lights into your neighbors' yards to get those dogs to stop barking? Maybe you're afraid of your neighbors and their big guns? Doesn't TX have any noise ordinances?

retrodog

Newly Enlightened
Why is the problem the person walking the dogs and not your stupid dog owner neighbors who can't control their pets? Why not shine your bright lights into your neighbors' yards to get those dogs to stop barking? Maybe you're afraid of your neighbors and their big guns? Doesn't TX have any noise ordinances?
This forum is apparently meant for the discussion of the technology of flashlights and associated subject matter. I mistakenly allowed myself to be pulled off into a inappropriate discussion about theories of non-related matters (barking dogs, pedestrians, etc.). I subsequently retired from this thread in hopes to allow it to stay on topic. If you have any desire to continue a discussion on these off-topic items feel free to send them to me in a PM. Thanks.

Gryloc

Enlightened
I did not intend that this discussion should be dropped all together, it is just this specific area of the CPF does not seem like the best place. You know, this would be a good discussion for The Cafe, or maybe the Underground (if you feel as though the debate becomes more heated, or if you need to preserve the reputation of your CPF name or something like that). I will have to drop in if you guys start a thread there. Later...

-Tony

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This forum is apparently meant for the discussion of the technology of flashlights and associated subject matter. I mistakenly allowed myself to be pulled off into a inappropriate discussion about theories of non-related matters (barking dogs, pedestrians, etc.). I subsequently retired from this thread in hopes to allow it to stay on topic. If you have any desire to continue a discussion on these off-topic items feel free to send them to me in a PM. Thanks.

My post was directly relating to the thread title, involving flashlights and intimidation. I even mentioned flashlights in my post. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.