Cree MC-E: where and when?

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your assumptions are correct. :) Dereelight is working on a new reflector for the CL1H that will work with the MC-E.

Wow... a 1S CL1H with a MC-E may just be the ultimate high output light out there :twothumbs
:popcorn:

Or, if the beam if smooth enough, I may eat my words that HO flashlights, or throwers, don't need a low mode :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soooo someone fill me in, wasnt everyone and their grandmamma dissing quad die leds because they couldnt throw light well? when did that change

So it's no good because it can't throw? Most people would probably prefer 400-600 lumens of floody light, than 200 lumens of pure throw.

The P7, or MC-E, may not throw as well as a single Cree XR-E, but it has many other useful applications, and can still be set up to throw fairly well.

What I'd really like to see is more small lights using P7's or MC-E's set up to give a floody beam, and driven at moderate power, maybe enough to produce 200-400 lumens of floody light off a single 18650, or a pair of R123's, etc.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... a 1S CL1H with a MC-E may just be the ultimate high output light out there :twothumbs
:popcorn:

Or, if the beam if smooth enough, I may eat my words that HO flashlights, or throwers, don't need a low mode :)

I'd like a 3SD MC-E in my CL1H. If the MC-E is similar to the P7 dereelight drop in I have, the low makes for a great walking light as it gives you plenty of light in a nice floody beam.

When the reflector becomes available I may have to pick up another CL1H V4 just for the MC-E drop-in. :)

clintb

Enlightened
I'd like a 3SD MC-E in my CL1H. If the MC-E is similar to the P7 dereelight drop in I have, the low makes for a great walking light as it gives you plenty of light in a nice floody beam.

When the reflector becomes available I may have to pick up another CL1H V4 just for the MC-E drop-in. :)
Exactly! I love my CL1H v4, especially with the Q3 5A pill, but I would like something that has more flood and less of a hotspot for close-up duties. I always seem to be doing the "follow the bouncing ball" when using a regular pill with OP reflector. Not saying it's bad, per se, but a nice flood of light would be really nice.

MoreLumens4Me

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I am just curious why Dereelight says that you can't use a smooth reflector with the MC-E?:thinking: I have both reflectors I was just wondering why?

Axion

Enlightened
Hey, I am just curious why Dereelight says that you can't use a smooth reflector with the MC-E?:thinking: I have both reflectors I was just wondering why?

Quad die emitters tend to create weird beam patterns due to the beams from each emitter partially overlapping. The textured reflector helps smooth things out. As soon as I get an MC-E pill I'll try it out with both reflectors and take pictures (assuming someone else hasn't already posted some by then).

Flashcrazy: Since the MC-E draws a little less then twice the current of the 3SD pill, shouldn't you get at least 1:30:00 run time on 2x18650?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashcrazy: Since the MC-E draws a little less then twice the current of the 3SD pill, shouldn't you get at least 1:30:00 run time on 2x18650?

I guessed 1:15, and I'd rather be on the conservative side. :) I don't want everone to :twak: me if I'm wrong.
Hopefully the runtime will be longer. :grin2:

gilly

Enlightened

+1

What would a reasonable emitter current be to get a balanced amount of lumens / runtime on one 18650? Any ideas?

Axion

Enlightened
+1

What would a reasonable emitter current be to get a balanced amount of lumens / runtime on one 18650? Any ideas?

That depends on what balance you want. I think the MC-E pill for the DBS will probably make 500+ lumens for 1.5 hour on 2x18650. To me that sounds like a decent balance.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will this new emitter have multiple output levels?

Any emitter can have multi-levels as long as you have a driver that is capable.

However with the MC-E... each die (4 all together) can be wire individually so that each die can light up separately. Problem is, there is no driver available that has 4 outputs to run each die so that they can be turned on/off individually.