• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Cree XP-G2 added to the line - 2014

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
Sorry if I missed that part, but can the XR-U Sundrop be ordered with the XP-G2 option ?
If yes, what are the current settings of the 3S converter
Thanks

As far as I know, yes, you can order the XPG2 with XRU. Would be a good combo. I don't know the current settings on the 3S, but I did find the low was not as low as I like. I believe the top end is about 650 mA.

eala

dbla

Newly Enlightened
Email sent for an XPG2 Haiku today Don! Looking forward to hearing back!

-a

Bkkrs

Newly Enlightened
After weeks of research I finally pulled the trigger on a Haiku XP-G2.

jkid1911

Enlightened
LED____lumens (low) __lumens (med)__lumens (high)___lux (1 meter)__CCT (kelvin)__CRI (average)

XM-L________12________50___________240___________1400__________6300________65

XP-G2________10_______42___________195___________2780__________4500________80

119___________7_______31___________125___________2200__________4500________92

Could anyone add the specs for the earlier XRE and XPG to this list? It would be great to have this all in one place for the Haiku, my favorite new light! By the way, I apologize if this should be a new thread for my inquiry. Please let me know if that is the case, thanks!

Last edited:

qmtu

Enlightened
Email sent for Haiku XP-G2 1x123 with diamond etched clip and 1/4 hole. Thanks

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I have a Haiku from when they came with the XPG R5, with the green PCB, and it is a cool color temp. about 6500K, as a close guess, and I love it . Now I also have a Makai with the XPG2, and it is warmer, like 4000-4500K love it too. I have the 119 on my Mule, and it is hard to tell it apart from the XPG2.

My question is can you get the XPG2 in a cooler color temp, like 6500 K, or is Don only working with cooler color Temp in the XMLs. I have an the previous version 6300-6500 XML. In another Haiku, and love that, too. Not sure it is worth an upgrade?

I will be going to get an an additional Sun Drop for a UV and I would also, like a warm XPG2, I would really love 5000K which is daylight balanced, and some people complain of a blue tint. However, I would not really worry about that in a flashlight too much.

That is why in photography you use a Sky1A filter for the just before and right after noon you can get a blue tint from the sun, and the very pale rose color of the Sky 1A color corrects that blue out. I would like a Sun Drop in 5000K since that is what I work in. Also, don't for get your strobes put out that blue tint all the time, so don't take off the Sky 1A the sun warms up on us, and the filter will not make any noticeable difference at that the hours before and after noon.

I must admit 4000-4500K makes for fantastic skin tone shots. I shot some fantastic work, of my wife with 4000-4500K and they were stunning with just a flashlight, no hours of rigging a thousand things with large gels to get everything right in the camera at the shoot.

Back to the LEDs. Is this where the bin selection of the LED comes in, on the XPG and XML color Temperatures? I still really like cooler LEDs for many flashlight applications, mostly general purpose, routine kinda things, I like the cooler color.

Thanks,

RL

Much too late for any typing errors, sorry.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Haiku from when they came with the XPG R5, with the green PCB, and it is a cool color temp. about 6500K, as a close guess, and I love it . Now I also have a Makai with the XPG2, and it is warmer, like 4000-4500K love it too. I have the 119 on my Mule, and it is hard to tell it apart from the XPG2.

My question is can you get the XPG2 in a cooler color temp, like 6500 K, or is Don only working with cooler color Temp in the XMLs. I have an the previous version 6300-6500 XML. In another Haiku, and love that, too. Not sure it is worth an upgrade?

I will be going to get an an additional Sun Drop for a UV and I would also, like a warm XPG2, I would really love 5000K which is daylight balanced, and some people complain of a blue tint. However, I would not really worry about that in a flashlight too much.

That is why in photography you use a Sky1A filter for the just before and right after noon you can get a blue tint from the sun, and the very pale rose color of the Sky 1A color corrects that blue out. I would like a Sun Drop in 5000K since that is what I work in. Also, don't for get your strobes put out that blue tint all the time, so don't take off the Sky 1A the sun warms up on us, and the filter will not make any noticeable difference at that the hours before and after noon.

I must admit 4000-4500K makes for fantastic skin tone shots. I shot some fantastic work, of my wife with 4000-4500K and they were stunning with just a flashlight, no hours of rigging a thousand things with large gels to get everything right in the camera at the shoot.

Back to the LEDs. Is this where the bin selection of the LED comes in, on the XPG and XML color Temperatures? I still really like cooler LEDs for many flashlight applications, mostly general purpose, routine kinda if things, I like the cooler color.

Thanks,

RL

Much too late for any typing errors, sorry.

Hi RedLed.
I agree about 4000 to 4500K regarding skin tones and things in general really but CRI plays a big part in addition and that's why the 119(V) is so great.
I'm not into cool whites much or really warm whites for that matter but currently I'm favouring a Haiku with and XPG2 (S3 3A) LE in it that I built and it has a CCT of around 5000K. The tint on this LE is pretty nice and quite clean, a really nice bright white with a higher CRI than an average LED but not in 119 territory. I think you'd like something like that.
I'm not sure what flux and tint bin the XPG2 Don uses has, I know it's a bit warmer than what I'm using but I'd say you'd really like that too.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi RedLed.
I agree about 4000 to 4500K regarding skin tones and things in general really but CRI plays a bit part in addition and that's why the 119(V) is so great.
I'm not into cool whites much or really warm whites for that matter but currently I'm favouring a Haiku with and XPG2 (S3 3A) LE in it that I built and it has a CCT of around 5000K. The tint on this LE is pretty nice and quite clean, a really nice bright white with a higher CRI than an average LED but not in 119 territory. I think you'd like something like that.
I'm not sure what flux and tint bin the XPG2 Don uses has, I know it's a bit warmer than what I'm using but I'd say you'd really like that too.
I agree with you, and I personally like 5000K because that is mid-day balanced which is great for some things, and there is no better light source than the Sun - bar none.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you, and I personally like 5000K because that is mid-day balanced which is great for some things, and there is no better light source than the Sun - bar none.

My McGizmo lights can't compete with the sun but I'm really liking my 5000K XPG2 Haiku.
I'm guessing the tint of Don's XPG2 is really nice judging by his choice of 119 LED's.
I haven't seen McGizmo XML cool whites but most reports are that they are reasonable and the addition of XML2 sound interesting.
I think for what most would consider a premium tint that the 119(V) and XPG2 are the best choice. My experience with the 119V is very positive and to my taste they are the most pleasant LED in terms of tint and CRI I have ever seen.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi can anybody please post the beam profile for XPG, XML and XPG2?

I am itching to get another haiku. My 1st is with a XPG led. Would a XPG2 provide a better beam in terms of lumens, profile and tint in a 3V Haiku?

Thanks.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi can anybody please post the beam profile for XPG, XML and XPG2?

I am itching to get another haiku. My 1st is with a XPG led. Would a XPG2 provide a better beam in terms of lumens, profile and tint in a 3V Haiku?

Thanks.

Hi jumpstat,

I have two Haiku's both with the XPG reflector, both arrived with 119V LE's but I have since tried a few other LEDs in them including Nichia 219C, XPL, XPL dedomed, XPE 660nm and XPG2.
I've settled on 119V in one and my GDuP XPG2 S3 3A in the other.
For me the XPG reflector is the best choice although many like the floodier beam of the XML reflector/LED combo.
From my tests I found that the XPG reflector with an XPG2 gives the best results beam wise. I haven't seen the XPG or XPG2 Don uses in action but his current XPG2 offering sounds great with just over 80 CRI at around 4500K so I'm guessing, along with increased efficiency, that this is a nicer LED than the XPG version.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
My McGizmo lights can't compete with the sun but I'm really liking my 5000K XPG2 Haiku.
I'm guessing the tint of Don's XPG2 is really nice judging by his choice of 119 LED's.
I haven't seen McGizmo XML cool whites but most reports are that they are reasonable and the addition of XML2 sound interesting.
I think for what most would consider a premium tint that the 119(V) and XPG2 are the best choice. My experience with the 119V is very positive and to my taste they are the most pleasant LED in terms of tint and CRI I have ever seen.

All it is the color temp;Not the intensity.

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
I fried my XP-G2 Haiku head earlier in the year and finally decided to replace it. Wondering if I should stick with the G2 or go with the XPL-Hi.

Don - is the XPL-Hi in the Haiku head deeply set, like the G2 and the 119 Nichia? I find this useful when tailstanding and working close by, less likely to blind myself than when using a torch with the LED closer to the lens.

Is the G2 still competitive 5-6 years after it was introduced?