Cub Scout light

bspofford

Enlightened
I have three sons and have given them 9 LED 3XAAA lights, 1W Camo Energizer 2XAA lights ($5 on sale at WalMart), and Husky LED 3XAAA headlights. I picked up a package of two headlights (two-mode white + red), three 6 LED 3XAAA lights and 15 AAA batteries at Home Depot for $14.99 just the other day. They seem to favor the camo 2XAA lights and the headlights. BTW, none is too bright, and I don't worry about eye injury.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can wait until the day after Thanksgiving, Lowe's is selling Maglite LED flashlights for super low prices. They have the 2D and 3D MagLED's for $14.97, and the AA MagLED (# of batteries not mentioned) is only $10.97. Any of these should give decent performance, and be fairly water resistant.

I would avoid the multi-LED lights that use 3 AAA cells. The LED's burn out from over voltage, and they deplete the batteries too quickly. Those cheap lights can get expensive.

GPB

Enlightened
I have had the Princeton Tec Attitude for quite a while now and can attest to both its durability and burn time. I used it as a nightlight in my son's room for about 12 hours per night for 6 nights. It was dimmer by the end of the week,( but by then he was more comfortable in his surroundings ) but its a great light. I have a number of lights from PT and like them all.

I would keep it cheap. If he manages to keep the light for 3 months without losing it, upgrade a little if he seems interested. There is a 1 Watt LED and Switch made by Nite Ize for the minimag light ( 2 x AA Batteries ) that has 3 different modes ( kids have no trouble with complicated user interfaces ) and it has a little blinking red light so you can find it in the dark. The light is about 10 bucks and the upgrade is about another 10. ( avoid the 3 led upgrade by Nite Ize ) Its a solid dependable unit and easy to put together.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you really give a 7-10 yr old boy a $150 flashlight !!?? :faint:

I would give a boy a $150 flashlight, but it costs a lot more than that if you buy from the UK. I have tried buying Surefire products from the USA, but they said they couldn't sell it to me, as I was in based London, United Kindgom.

Our UK Distributor is Edgar Brothers who put on a very large mark up on Surefire products. We are not called rip off Britain for nothing
ooo.gif

Latest posts