Curious: why is "tactical" defined as focused beam?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not even really tactical anymore, everyone just is going for tacti-cool with assault crowns, all sorts of crazy razor sharp machining, fins, crenelations, 10 different knurling patterns and other gimmicks. Yet when my friend was in Iraq he got a surefire, and put it away in favor of a AA powered rayovac. All the tacti-coolness in the world is useless when you can't get special batteries out in the field. He was inspecting houses for terrorists and bombs so high powered super lights weren't very useful. So a cheapo rayovac was as tactical as any light, when it ran out of power they simply "inspected" a nearby shop for AA batteries. Of course the Iraqi team forces would lead the inspections and store "inspections", they would immediately come out with the cigarrettes and sell them to our forces for 5 bucks a pack lol.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'm still searching for my Dream Flashlight . . . .

a Tactical flashlight, which is Humanized.

:candle:
_

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion the key of a "tactical" light is the switch, which have to have the "click" function, that's to say you can turn on the light by slightly pressing down the switch but not fully, so one can let the light to blink as they want ---- maybe sending Morse Code? I'm not sure.

But what if the switch gets engaged in a firefight or other stressful low-light confrontation? Now you've given away your position to the enemy! Best to stick to a momentary twisty, preferably black and pointy.