d-mini arrived today updated with pic's and a review

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: d-mini arrived today

Mudd Magnet said:
And longer runtime too. Any more info on this two stage switch? sounds like it would make this light even better.
A VINET tailcap is a quick way to get a lower light output from the D-Mini. But you really take a beating in efficiency -- the low setting reduces the light output by about a factor of 6 but lengthens the run time by less than a factor of 2. (These were measured with a 3.7 volt rechargeable -- you'd get different results with a 3.0 volt cell.)

The VINET tailcap just switches a 6 ohm resistor in series for the low position. This is a viable way to reduce the output of a direct drive light light like the VINET, and in many cases doesn't have too bad an effect on efficiency. But it's a lousy way to dim a regulated light like the D-Mini, as this example shows. Unfortunately, it's about the only way you can do it without messing with the regulator.

c_c

warpdrive

Enlightened

Just got mine today too!

This thing rocks. I'm a Cree believer.

Nice flashlight....like the extras (case, rings, clicky, gid button)

This thing throws like no minilight should. I thought I might hate the ringy beam with the smooth reflector but it don't bother me.

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened

Too bad it doesn't provide a better runtime ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok went out for a little trek in the bush my trusty mini mag incan and 2-aa led alongside my new d-mini :) the incan is of course terrible in a dense bush area and to think I got along so well with this for a couple years :ohgeez:The led mini mag is pretty good it is more floody then the d-mini and lights up the immediate area nicly without blinding you'rself reflecting off of the snow. Throw is not the best mayby 20 feet past that it is not much help. The d-mini is way to bright for close up's with snow on the ground looking at animal tracks five feet away you will blind youre'self and it is even worse trying to look near you're feet. It throws alot of light out and I could make out a barbed wire fence at around 35-40 feet and I can put light on tree's that are around 65-75 feet out. Due to the blowing snow that is as far as I can see the light there was alot of ambiant light around too.

Inside the house my only comparible light is my 3-d mag with the mag led in it. The d-mini put's out a smaller hotspot then the mag and the big mag also seems to put out more light again most likely due to the large reflecter. I think these two would be abought even if I was running the 3.7v cell in the d-mini as I hear it makes the light noticably brighter. The one thing I have noticed inside is their is a brown ring around the hotspot? It is making me a bit unhappy lol but that is the only thing I don't like abought this light and I imagine it would go away with the orange peel reflecter.

The d-mini is a awsome light it put's out a hell of alot of light for it's size so much I'm going to put getting a new charger and a set of 3.7 volt cells off for a while and just pick up some more 3 volt rechargebles. I was sort of expecting more light from peoples reviews but up against my giant mag this thing is amazing for it's size This is my first good light and my first non maglite well besides lower quality lights then the mags up untill a few months ago I thought mags were the greatest thing in the world and I would never have thought of paying 65$ for a flashlight now I am drooling over all these sweet lights :rant: The light is very high quality the finish is excellent and the clicky switch is amazing I don't think I'll be able to go back to my mini mag's twist action. I'll post back with some pics when it isn't blowing snow outside and I'll try to get my beamshots hosted tonight I promise. The D-mini has found a permenant home on my belt now to find a good spare battery holder :rock:

Focal

Newly Enlightened

The Vinet tailcap is available from DealXtreme for $5 including shipping to Australia. :)

Hard to pass up as a quick mod. Bit of fun if nothing else. :)

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened

here are some pic's for you guy's

tool001.jpg

tool004.jpg

D-mini 3 feet from roof in my room mid-day with blinds open

tool005.jpg

Magled 3d 3 feet from roof miday with blinds open

hope ya'll like the pic's I'll try and do some beamshots tonite when it is dark im going to promise my camera will take them though lol

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened

ok here is my first ever attempt at beamshots :laughing: Up first is the magled 3-d second is the d-mini and last is my mini mag on reletivly new batteries. The first pics are from abought three feet onto my roof and the second pic is around 3 feet to the wall behind my desk to show side spill. the roof is stucco and the wall is wall-paper top white trim and blue bottum. hope ya'll like em and give me some pointers besides a new camera :whistle: I'll try and get some outside throw shots up when it is not zero deg and blowing snow :)

tool012.jpg

tool013.jpg

tool014.jpg

tool015.jpg

tool016.jpg

tool017.jpg

luminata

Enlightened
Dmini is a good flashlight. only problem is the short runtime. I opted to also get the orangepeel reflector. it cuts throw a bit but beam is perfect with it if a bit tight (it is a deep reflector) I tried the batery station 900ma rechargers and got 36 mins runtime. I have AW 750ma also and they give about 31 mins. so the 900ma are a bit of hype . If you ordered the dmini from lumapower they will be closed for 2 weeks for new year starting on the 12th I beleive. supposedly a 2stage d-flood coming but who knows.

dirobesh

Enlightened
luminata said:
I tried the batery station 900ma rechargers and got 36 mins runtime. I have AW 750ma also and they give about 31 mins. so the 900ma are a bit of hype . If you ordered the dmini from lumapower they will be closed for 2 weeks for new year starting on the 12th I beleive. supposedly a 2stage d-flood coming but who knows.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but taking your AW 750ma results as a baseline and doing a quick calculation, the actual capacity of your 900ma batteries are approx. 870ma, which isn't too bad I feel. Of course, this is assuming that your AW 750ma batts are in fact the stated capacity.

Anyway, it kept me amused for a few minutes. :)

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
Mine came today. Silver finish, smooth reflector. This thing IS the throw monster everyone says it is. In white wall tests it beats a Surefire G2 with a whiter and much brighter hotspot and brighter though smaller spill beam. Ceiling bounce test, which is a crude method of comparing overall output also goes to the D-Mini. I will try it in the woods tonight and report back. The short runtime with rechargeables does not seem like a big deal to me. Again comparing it to the Surefire G2. The D-Mini makes more light and uses up two rechargeable cells one after the other in about the same time the G2 uses up it's two 123 primary cells. You have to also consider that as the G2 runs it's output will be steadily decreasing.
JC

LightScene

Enlightened
"as the G2 runs it's output will be steadily decreasing." Same thing for the D-Mini, although the use of re-chargeables can ameliorate the problem.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
LightScene said:
"as the G2 runs it's output will be steadily decreasing." Same thing for the D-Mini, although the use of re-chargeables can ameliorate the problem.

LightScene,
...Rechargeables is exactly what I was talking about and I said that in my post. The amount of decrease in output during the 30 minutes the rechargeable cell runs in the D-Mini would not be enough to discern with the human eye.
JC

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine on Friday and like the rest of you have been very impressed with this light. I am using my rechargeable RCR123 cells from Battery Station. Runtime will not be an issue for me as I typically wear jeans and have found that a spare fits nicely in the watch/coin pocket. However, it would be nice to have a body that would accomodate a 168s when longer runtimes are needed.
I also noticed that the reverse clickie switch sticks out just a little bit when trying to use it in candle mode. A mini mag filter holder fits nicely over the tailcap solving this problem and because of its hexagonal shape also keeps the light from rolling when laying flat.

:rock:

Paul

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
OK I was out playing with the light again tonite I went for a walk to start my truck up, It is sitting in my buddies back yard and the access is around a 500 foot+ gravel lane And it runs on for around another 500 feet after his yard. The first 300 feet or so are lit up fairly well the area behind his house is rather dark and the rest is very dark.

from the bottom I could light up a fair distance before it was washed out but the area after his house I could light up like daylight :rock: I mean I could make out a telphone/cable box ( rectangular 6"x4' tall) and tell what it was at the end of the lane from where I was I would estamate it to be a good 200 feet. I find I am reaching for this light alot but it is simply too bright so I have been hauling around the d-mini in it's pouch with my spare cell in the watch pocket on my jeans along side my ipod. I have been keeping my 2-aa magled in my coat pocket along with two spare aa batteries for up close/greasy work (don't want to subject the d-mini to that yet I have'nt even got a scratch) YOU GUY'S are bad bad bad I don't know how I ever managed with my mini mag incan now I am looking for my next purchase I am thinking the aa cree fenix to hang on my keychain :naughty: I won't mind it hanging there as I have a lil piston from a weedwhacker for a key chain lol I think I would like the bright bright light but have a low longer runtime setting too ha-ha you guy's are terrible draining my wallet like this :whistle:

How do you guy's like my beamshot's I don't mind constructive critisism If ya'll think they are terrible let me know how to fix them so I can try again Thanks

Latest posts