Flashlight Enthusiast
-MC-E
-Stellite-lined, finned brass for the head area around the pill
-Stellite-lined D2 body/head
-Stellite-lined Ti clip
-Optional 2AA tube
-Kitchen sink
-Pony

No MC-E! It has awful beam (even harder to focus than P7)!

rocled

Newly Enlightened
4Sevens leaked that there will be an EX20 by the end of the year. Who knows it may take a 18650.

PurpleDrazi

Newly Enlightened
As you have probably already read in some of the D10, EX10 threads, they are run by a boost driver, so using a Li-Ion will over drive the circuit and the LED will run in direct drive, so not regulated. Using an 18650 would mean that the DX/EX10 would be running in overdrive on high for quite awhile, and the other levels will be affected too. Personally I like to run a regulated light the way it is supposed to be run, in regulation.

Bill

Unless I'm missing something, both the D10 and EX10 happily accept li-ion batteries -- so there really wouldn't be any difference from a 18650

Francis

PurpleDrazi

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you are missing something. You missed out on this thread? https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202901

Bill

Actually, I did (miss it). Gave it a quick skim, but it got a bit technical for me :)

I think I mis-interpreted the implications. I'm guessing that the issue is not that an 18650 wouldn't work, but that it would be running out of regulation for such a longer time?

Francis

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Actually, I did (miss it). Gave it a quick skim, but it got a bit technical for me :)

I think I mis-interpreted the implications. I'm guessing that the issue is not that an 18650 wouldn't work, but that it would be running out of regulation for such a longer time?

Francis

Yes, that is one conclusion that can be reached. If you want to run it with an 18650 change out the resistors so it will run at a higher bias with attendant higher light output. Running higher current to the LED via the circuit, the vf of the LED will increase and the 18650 will maybe allow the D10/EX10 to run in regulation.

Bill

artec540

Enlightened
Re: Wanted-an EDC pocketable 18650 (like D10)

My L2D Q5 is a great light, but a little tall in my pocket, and it moves around making sitting down without repositioning it uncomfortable. My D10 is awesome, it's like not even carrying it, but the light output is not quite in the "pocket rocket" arena. My Olight M20 rocks when it comes to output, but it's a little too big to carry in a pocket easily, especially due to it's large bezel size, grip ring (which is removable), and the clip. I was leaning towards the Jetbeam JET-III PRO ST, but I got talked out of it by fellow CPFers, due to the fact that it was not much smaller than the M20.

I think a perfect solution to this problem would be for Nitecore to develop basically another D10, that uses an 18650. This would totally rock! The D10 design is very small and tight to the battery, eliminating any unnecessary bulk from the total package. Unlike all the bulk of the M20, the Nitecore design would keep everything close and tight, making it more pocketable. They should also optimize it for strictly 18650 batteries, and not for CR and RCR123's

An EX 10 with a 123 is 3 inches long. If its innards remained the same but it had an 18650 instead, 4.3 inches long.

The shortest 18650 light I've got is a Fenix TK11 and it's 5.2 inches long. Can Nitecore save 0.9 inches or would the guts have to be longer? Are there shorter 18650 lights shorter than the T11? At 5.2 inches, it's too long and too heavy to carry all day so I alternate between the EX 10 and an ITP C9, which is 3.6 incles long, and fatter than the EX 10 by about 0.2 inches.

If there were a 4.3 inch long version of the EX 10, or even a 4.5 inch version, there'd be no competition as far as I'd be concerned.

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
Re: Wanted-an EDC pocketable 18650 (like D10)

Are there shorter 18650 lights shorter than the T11?

Yes, this one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15334

it's the same lenght as the Fenix P3D, just merely wider, and it fits the P3D-holster perfectly :D

Beam is like that of the JET-III PRO ST, but the light itself is much smaller.
Adding the mode memory feature makes it a very nice EDC-18650 light.
Only backdraw is that some longer 18650 batteries may not fit.

MiniLux

NetGod3Com

Newly Enlightened
I have been asking for this for quite a while as well, If 4Sevens / NiteCore would produce a 18650 Smart PD, I would purchase at least 2, maybe more.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Personally I like to run a regulated light the way it is supposed to be run, in regulation.

Bill

I'm with you on that one. It removes any dependencies on Vf and to some extent, the quality of the Li-Ion cell itself (internal resistance) Unfortunately, I have not really seen a good, compact, efficient buck boost driver except the one that dat2zip makes.

Unless I'm missing something, both the D10 and EX10 happily accept li-ion batteries -- so there really wouldn't be any difference from a 18650

Francis

You are missing something. These lights, as Bill pointed out, are boost only. You get one with a low Vf and boy will it be bright. You get one with a higher Vf and you would probably not know the difference. It's the luck of the draw.

Last edited: