Dad's Birthday! Need an impressive throw, in a 1" or less diameter light.

secutores

Newly Enlightened
My dad wants his first nice flashlight for his birthday. Please recommend one:

I think he's mostly going to use it to show off, and maybe read side street signs while driving once in awhile. It needs to have a more useful 30-70 lumen setting too.
More than anything, He really likes my Streamlight ProTac 2L, because the bezel is not much bigger than the diameter of a cr123 battery. I am looking for something like that but with more throw. Does anyone make a small diameter light with a really long reflector or an aspheric lens or something? I've gathered that XML might be the brightest but will definitely not be a a focused beam.
Ideally, it would also be somewhat simple to use... Keep pushing the button for different modes or something. Definitely not something he has to program.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Less than $100.

3) Format:
____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
__IF THIS IS EVEN POSSIBLE OUT OF A 1" LENSE__150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any advise.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Nice gift and :welcome:

I got my Dad a light for his recent birthday. He is a triathelete (hobby) and rides his bike at 4 AM. Out of the hundreds of lights one can go with I ended up getting him the SC51 by Zebra. And I'm glad I did. It does not quite meet your throw requirements, but when 4 eneloops and a charger are $19 on Amazon it's hard not to recommend this light. Plus it can run off store bought AA alkalines or energizer lithiums. Definitely take a look at this light. You'll receive many suggestions... good hunting!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
>maximum throw possible
>1" dia

2-cr123 TIR SureFire's: LX2, E2DL, KX2C etc.

(sc600: 5,200; p20a2: 6,700; lx2, e2dl, p20c2: 9k)

Last edited:

secutores

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far!
It looks like the p20c2 is in the lead because it comes in at 1/2 the cost of the surefires.
I'm having a tough time figuring out the power on the Eagletac; their website says 390 amazon says 300... How many lumens is it?
If there are any others you guys want to recommend keep 'em coming!

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC600 750 Lumen XM-L LED Flashlight

Great flashlight but not what I'd consider a good suggestion given the stated criteria of running on primaries, ready to go out of the box, and wanting a throw light. He'd need to purchase rechargeable 18650 batteries separately and get a charger for those batteries..and even though the SC600 has good throw it's not really a throw light in a relative sense compared to quite a few others that would meet more of his criteria (even though it would sure meet the "light up and entire backyard or a campsite" need).

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far!
It looks like the p20c2 is in the lead because it comes in at 1/2 the cost of the surefires.
I'm having a tough time figuring out the power on the Eagletac; their website says 390 amazon says 300... How many lumens is it?
If there are any others you guys want to recommend keep 'em coming!

Depends on the LED in it (9 different LED modules for it). The XM-L provides the highest output of 720 lumens (for 3 minutes, then in drops to 456 lumens).
A lot of good information about them can be found here:
http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/26950.html

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think something like the Eagletac P20A2 is a good suggestion. Personally, I'd go with a flashlight that runs on two AA batteries and avoid CR123A lights unless your dad's already a fan of CR123A batteries for some reason. I say make it easy on him from the battery availability and expense standpoint. There are a number of powerful 2xAA flashlights out there to choose from (like the Eagletac).

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say the jetbeam rrt 0 R2 model - very important that last bit, the first version of this tiny light had the R2 led and it is the / one of the best throwing 1" lights out there, runs cr123 but comes with aa extender too. easy to use worth finding one......

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any specific reason for the <1" head? The P20C2 is a good choice, but you'll get significantly more throw out of a head that's a little bigger like the T100C2.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought 3 Jetbeam BC-10's for Christmas presents, including one for my Dad..... They are 3.5" x .9", have 2 settings: 1. Low-30 lumens(18 hours) 2. High-270 lumens(1.5 hours) They have a simple push button on-off switch on the tail, and then you simply twist the bezel to switch from low to high. It weighs just 1.7 oz. without battery, but it runs on 1, 123 battery which is very light. It has a good mix of throw and flood It is made of aluminum with type III anodizing and is very tough The Jetbeam BC-10 is the brightest, smallest high end light I could find for the money. It costs just $38.95 at batteryjunction.com..... I think it would be your best bet by far......

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought 3 Jetbeam BC-10's for Christmas presents, including one for my Dad.....

They are 3.5" x .9", have 2 settings: 1. Low-30 lumens(18 hours) 2. High-270 lumens(1.5 hours)

They have a simple push button on-off switch on the tail, and then you simply twist the bezel to switch from low to high.

It weighs just 1.7 oz. without battery, but it runs on 1, 123 battery which is very light.

It has a good mix of throw and flood.

It is made of aluminum with type III anodizing and is very tough.

The Jetbeam BC-10 is the brightest, smallest high end light I could find for the money. It costs just $38.95 at batteryjunction.com.....

I think it would be your best bet by far......

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I have both the P20A2 and the P20C2. They both appear about the same in amount of lumens, though the C2 is rated higher. But I would recommend the P20A2 as the 'gift', simply because it utilizes common AA batteries, whereas the P20C2 utilizes CR123 batteries, which are quite expensive (unless bought in bulk).

You can see the size difference in this pic:

-

vickers214

Enlightened
The 390 figure is the led lumens, and the 300 is the actual lumens out of the front, not the new ansi lumens spec I don't think,i have a p20c2 and its brilliant, but if you don't think your old fella wouldn't mind the extra length then go for the p20a2 for the ease of the the battery type, get the r5 or s2 not the xml if you want throw

secutores

Newly Enlightened
Any specific reason for the <1" head? The P20C2 is a good choice, but you'll get significantly more throw out of a head that's a little bigger like the T100C2.
He definitely grew up with mag lights and cheap rayovac plastic lights. He is always amazed how much light you can comfortably fit in the pocket these days. Sorta like how amazed he that you can fit a TB on a harddrive.

Who was it who said, "No matter the point in history the technology that was around when you were <25 is just the way it is. The technology that is around when you are 25-40 is new and hi tech and awesome. The technology that is around when you are >40 is dark magic and mortals have no business toying with it." That was a pretty bad butchering of the quote, but you get the idea.

Does anyone that has one of the eagletacs have something to say about the finish? In the photos the logo paint and knurling just looks so funky compared to a streamlight or a quark.

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened
Unless he wants to get into Li/Ion rechargeable batteries or he isn't put off with the price of CR123 batteries, he might be best off with a 2xAA light. Quark AA2 tactical is a good light but if he has problems programming it might be a problem. Jetbeam BA20 or Klarus P2A are only two modes and simple to use and at $40 are a bargain. He could use AA alkaline batteries or rechargeable AA NiMh batteries which are inexpensive and easy to charge and use. About the same size as a Mini Mag but much brighter.

Also if he isn't afraid of learning to use and charge 18650 batteries, and he isn't against a light that takes 2 of these batteries, the Jetbeam BC40 is a great light. Plenty of throw and spill with 830 lumens and a simple twist of the head gives him 130 lumens. I have this light and it's a great inexpensive thrower. No problem lighting things up at 200 to 300 yards or more. The light is much lighter and smaller than I thought it would be.

Last edited:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS 120?
http://hdssystems.com/?id=Edc&mType=Clicky&mName=E1S&mOut=120

ClickyS.jpg

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
He definitely grew up with mag lights and cheap rayovac plastic lights. He is always amazed how much light you can comfortably fit in the pocket these days. Sorta like how amazed he that you can fit a TB on a harddrive.

Who was it who said, "No matter the point in history the technology that was around when you were <25 is just the way it is. The technology that is around when you are 25-40 is new and hi tech and awesome. The technology that is around when you are >40 is dark magic and mortals have no business toying with it." That was a pretty bad butchering of the quote, but you get the idea.

Does anyone that has one of the eagletacs have something to say about the finish? In the photos the logo paint and knurling just looks so funky compared to a streamlight or a quark.

Yeah, who was it? Let's work on this, because I'm not having any luck with google.

Last edited: