Darell and EVs

Saaby

Flashaholic
This place is great, this is my second day of membership and I'm just loving it...anyway Darell, if you find this (Hmmm...you moderate The Cafe, wonder if you'll find it) we'd (And by us I mean I) like to hear about your EV. Pictures? SURE they don't add to the bandwidth problem, anything you'd like to tell us...tell us

Darell

Flashaholic
That's an easy one. Time to take the search function for a test-drive.
smile.gif

Darell's EV thread

Saaby

Flashaholic
Oh sorry, heh heh heh, I use Google Groups alot (News Group) and when you are there, there is the all knowing google search box at the top of the page...There is no google logo screaming at me here so...

I can do it though
wink.gif
(There I go with an emoticon)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hmmm, don't know if I should put this here or over in your topic, oh well I'll put it here, how about some shots of the controls, the keypad on the door and the radio and all those buttons around the shifter look interesting...Did I mention I want to engineer cars some day? No seriously! Maybe if I work for GM some day I can sneak an EV1 out of the GM museum (Not in any way assosiated with the LED museum) and let you relive old memories...hope the batteries will still hold a charge!

Hmmmm, upon further thought, don't know how I'd get an ELECTRIC vehicle from Michigan to California so...

Darell

Flashaholic
I can do that. The keypad on the outside is a stock GM part that is used on high-end SUVs to this day. Nothing really exciting about the console buttons except that there's so darn many of them. Much of it is for the HVAC. Others are for the keycode to start the car, and various fancy "precondition" functions. I'll take some better shots some day soon when they car is next clean again. Seems I just clean it for parades these days.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ummmmm, GM doesn't put keypads on their cars (Besides the EV) thats Ford...Nissan did it for a bit too (Most notibly in the 89-96 Maximas that were not SEs)

Anyhew I am like 4 pages into the other post and just thought I'd say the reason that they don't want higher MPG requirements is mainly a money thing...it costs a lot to get weight down and efficientcy up and that cuts costs, it's a constant battle in Detroit the Engineers make something that functions beautifully and reliably and is durrable and the corporate bean counters say "Make it 10 cents cheaper because 10 cents times a billion cars is a lot of money" so...yeah

Not saying it is right, just saying that it's GM corporate thats the problem, not the engineers
tongue.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Hmmm. Well, the keybad is a stock part of of *something*. My guess was SUV since I've seen them (you're right) on an Explorer.

Trust me - I know that it isn't the GM engineers suing CA for the ZEV mandate. It was the engineers that got this car build in the first place - against the wishes of corporate.

The bottom line isn't just money. It is money and oil. But since money=oil, I guess it really is all the same thing...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Maybe they bought it off Ford...I think the system Nissan used was actually from Ford OR and this is much more likely, the keypad is from an outside supplier and Ford is the only company that really uses them but then if GM needs one they can get one...I should be able to tell ya from the picture if it looks similar (And more importantly...HOW similar) to Fords or Nissans

Latest posts