Dark Sucks: Research Poll- what do you want to see?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love some of the designs in your prototype and custom sections, but I can't buy ANY of them, simply because they are not available. I understand they were limited run, but perhaps you could take pre-orders, and if you get a sufficient number of orders then you could turn it into a production model. If I'm spending hundreds of dollars on a light, I don't want "good enough", so that for me rules out ready made lights. As good as they are, if I bought one of those, I'd just be thinking "but there is a better version out there..."

Alpha ICE V2, Alpha Mace, and Alpha Saber are the ones I'd go for in a minute. If you don't sell many, it is only because they aren't available.

if you really want a one of a kind then you can order a bespoke model. he has a couple of newer copper bespoke lights on his site that are insane.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you really want a one of a kind then you can order a bespoke model. he has a couple of newer copper bespoke lights on his site that are insane.

I don't necessarily want one of a kind...I want the highest quality. His handcrafted lights are all amazing, and both the custom and bespoke models are the same quality as far as I can tell, made from the same parts. The Ready Made lights are a step down, if still higher than 99.9 percent of other lights. Also, the customs are expensive enough...don't need to add on another $100 or more just so I can claim mine is unique. Besides, I'm not a designer or machinist or artist, even if I could afford it, I wouldn't know how to improve on one of Jason's existing designs. So basically you're suggesting I pay considerably more for a light that wouldn't actually be better, and could be worse. I'll pass on that.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
very good. +1.

that's why I went ready made; even though the rest do look nice that ready made will really do.

I don't necessarily want one of a kind...I want the highest quality. His handcrafted lights are all amazing, and both the custom and bespoke models are the same quality as far as I can tell, made from the same parts. The Ready Made lights are a step down, if still higher than 99.9 percent of other lights. Also, the customs are expensive enough...don't need to add on another $100 or more just so I can claim mine is unique. Besides, I'm not a designer or machinist or artist, even if I could afford it, I wouldn't know how to improve on one of Jason's existing designs. So basically you're suggesting I pay considerably more for a light that wouldn't actually be better, and could be worse. I'll pass on that.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just saying "one of kind" because I thought that was what you were after. it wouldnt hurt to ask Jason for a light that looks like the ice, mace or saber if that's what your after. another suggestion would be to sign up on his email list. when a limited run of lights come up you will get an email letting you know of their availability.

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
Make a P60 host! That way we can have a high quality host. In different configurations.

A discount for the idea!

Steven

Last edited:

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
I would love to see an aluminum nickel plated 18350 host for a P-60 with a head like the Bespoke models that you made for either WR or JK with the blue fluorosilicone o-rings and blue flamed Ti clip. Just a stately piece of truly useful art in my opinion. How much to commission something like that? Seriously. PM me please. Lets talk some #'s

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
lool!. awww, im sure Jason will bring it's heartbeat back again soon.
there are so many things Jason could accomplish if only he could have someone backing him financially.
for now, he is doing everything he can, and excellently well.
i admire this guy for making flashlights look aweswowsome!

Looks like this thread died before I found it. My timing has always been poor. Shucks.

archer6817j

Enlightened
"I'm not dead yet!" Any Monty Python fans out there? :)

I try to mostly stay out of this thread because it's an "idea" thread and not a design discussion thread. Neutralwhite is right, I need a patron so I can afford some employees to make lights while I do crazy stuff!

My calculations indicate I need 250K in gross sales for each 60K in salary that I want to pay out (including myself). Divide that up any way you like, but that's a lot of sales and it's really hard to find part time skilled labor :) Last year I didn't lose any money, but didn't manage to pay myself either. We'll get there eventually (fingers crossed). :)

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about all the flesh wounds (Monty). I appreciate the response, although it dashes my fantasy of someday building a flashlight empire and retiring to a private island. Best of luck with the kick starter pen. Your work is always amazing and I look forward to what comes next. Perhaps when you come up for air from all your current projects you can review some of the ideas in this post and cook up your next piece of art. -Holy hand grenade light?

firemedic

Newly Enlightened
My 2cents. I would love to see a small, AA, angle head,programmable UI,pocket clip, magnetic bottom,high cri,zoomable beam light. Ain't nobody got that.

Kamerat

Enlightened
As a designer, I want to make lights that you will get excited about, not just exercise my own vision, so let me know what would get you excited!

AA, HiCri, spot and pure flood with the same reflector - a light I can use to read at night without any spot - and one that I can use to see stuff at a distance (with the limits that an AA battery entails though). I want the ZL51fc and HDS HiCRI in the same reflector/light.

Deep pocket clip would be nice :)

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
I would love to see a single (or double) AA light. High with good run time (2-3 hours for single AA), and low at 10 lumens (20 hours for single AA). Spot with good flood. Click switch, comes on in low, double click or double tap for high. Lanyard attachment too.

FaithinGod

jkid1911

Enlightened
Hey Jason, IMHO there is only one maker making "affordable" custom well made "small" high output EDC lights. That maker is Mac's. His lights are awesome but except for details like material, finish and engine choice, all his small EDC's are about the same. This is NOT a criticism of his lights as i think he "hit the mark" and they are great. However, if you could produce a similarly sized light but in your design and vision, finish, etc. I think it would be a great success. Since I'm a big fan of Floody Warm Tinted Triples....that would be my call on which engine you should use. A scaled down custom 18350 Alpha with a warm (not too high, maybe 400-500 Lumens) triple "with good run times" and Low1/Low2/Med/High modes with last mode memory would be an absolute winner. Of course I'm already a fan of your MCE LED with boom reflector so that would be awesome too. By the way I like the removable clip that you are currently using. Ok, now that we got that out of the way, I'll take one in your awesome Nickel finish and one Cerakoted please.....thanks. :)

persco

Enlightened
I'd really like to see a titanium Blue Label. Fat chance, I know. But that's what I'd really want from Prometheus.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would I like to see?

I am new to contemporary LED flashlights. Prior to 2010 Alkaline powered Maglites are all I had and knew about.

I break LED flashlight characteristics down into five components:

1. Size
2. Light generated
3. User interface
4. Build
5. Power source

Once I discovered more powerful led lights in 2010 I had to have (1) a distance/search light, (2) a tactical light, (3) an everyday light, and because of battery chemistry (4) a light with AA batteries that I could store in my car year round for emergencies.

I obtained a light for each of those 4 purposes. After a couple of years I decided that I really wanted a special light. One that was very different. It did not take long for me to find a HDS Rotary light. What I like about that light is the user interface(programmable) that allows me to customize the light for my needs, a build much different than my Chinese lights, and that it was built by a man in the USA.

So, if I were in the LED flashlight game and distinguishing myself from the Chinese manufactured lights I would look to extend my product line to cover distance, tactical, everyday, and emergency and distinguish my lights on user interface(programmable) and build with a lifetime warranty to the original owner.

By way of example, if I put a HDS rotary light next to any of my current lights that were made in China there is no comparison especially on the build and user interface.

Last edited: