Deal Extreme Lights any good? Durable?

mattblick

Newly Enlightened
[Threadjack] Kimber Select, Revel, Music Fidelity, Sota: :drool: :twothumbs.. Nice gear you have there! I went with MIT Terminator 2 interconnects and cable on my music system to keep the Vandies brightness down a tad. I have Audioquest Type 4 cable and Optilink G interconnect on the Home Theatre. I am playing with the "HD-14" cable that was all the rage on audio asylum between the Adcom and Kefs on my PC, but it will be replaced. Audioholicism is a very serious disease; I count myself fortunate that I can be content with my Vandies for now. I went through 8 different pairs of mini-monitors in the late 90s before buying the 1Cs. Vinyl rocks and once my toddlers are older I am eyeballing a Rega P3 as my analog source. Right now I am digital with a NAD C542. [/Threadjack]

I understand what you mean "until you handle a McGizmo you wouldn't understand." Anyone who sits down and listens to that Krell/Wilson system or the Air Forsell/Avalon system at Progressive understands that it is the pinnacle of audio reproduction. I imagine the McGizmo experience is similar.

Your "strong as weakest link" is very applicable to flashlights as it is audio. Stong as weakest link should be a stressed Law, just as diminishing returns is. The high quality Chinese lights such as Fenix have a very strong link in their best emitters sooner approach; having the newest LED gives you a performance edge. They have high efficiency circuitry only bested by custom ones. The substaintially more expensive lights only seem to have better grips and clickies from what I have read as newbie here. There are members that seem to have big issues with reverse clickies for instance. Ergonomics and feel would be very important in situations that require a flashlight to provide tactical performance. I pay extra for ergonomics and feel on my Sage fly rods to (attempt to) improve my casts. At this point I pesonally don't feel I require tactical performance from my flashlight; however I do want to have a bright LED and efficient circuitry. I recently decided to EDC a light and that is what brought me here. With a Fenix/JetBeam/LiteFlux or other HQ Chinese light I will get the performance of the latest LED link. I will also have the performance of Li Ion batteries, glass lens, aluminum reflector, etc etc.

I really like what Bror Jace said, "For people who understand the spirit of what it is to be an enthusiast (regardless of the hobby/specialty in question) it's all good."

I am one of those that have the wire costing more than your complete system, Kimber Select. I started my audio hobby, obsession, over 20 years ago and spent lots of time and money trying the killer cheap-o, product of the day, what ever it was from the armor-all your CD's to the cable lifters. Yes some made differences and others, I think people thought that they could tell a difference when there wasn't. I can tell that you enjoy your system and I'm glade that you do. I have worked hard and built my system beyond the point where you stopped. Nothing wrong with either way of doing it. I enjoy my Revel, Musical Fidelity, Kimber, and Sota system very much. It is a ego thing when my friends come over and I play a record for them, they never knew that a record could sound better than a CD. I just say on the right system. Enough about audio stuff, this is CPF.

There is a law of diminishing returns as well as a system or product is only as good as its weakest link.
There are products designed to hit a price point, and there are products designed for performance level.
I'll agree that a Fenix has 80% the quality of a McGizmo, but until you handle a McG, you won't understand.

Last edited:

mattblick

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the MTE 5-Mode 100 Lumens Rebel Flashlight (AA / 0100 BIN) SKU 6162, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6162 sorry if I added to the run on them.:whistle:

Elliot

Mine already shipped, so fine by me.. :D

I almost ordered the new Ultrafire FMR-1 this morning but it seems too long for a single cell 123 light. I bet it is due to the side clickie.
While on the site I noticed the VB-16 was FINALLY back in stock so I ordered one of those instead.. :party:

Last edited:

Latest posts