Decent brightness and long battery life for $30?

hatman

Enlightened
i agree with this, and i own one.

2xAA is the best configuration for a light that takes standard batteries.

edit: if you go with lithium (or even with AAs), make sure you go with rechargeables. the cost of batteries adds up quickly otherwise.

While I prefer AAs, the Coast LED Lenser HD7438CP is a winner. It uses three AAAs and comes with a bright, adjustable beam and an easy-to-use clicky tail switch.

I discovered it at Home Depot for $49 before I found the light here at CPF and got myself a Fenix, Nitecore and a Photon keychain.

It's a dandy, and is definitely worth checking out next time you're at HD.

BBnet3000

Newly Enlightened
While I prefer AAs, the Coast LED Lenser HD7438CP is a winner. It uses three AAAs and comes with a bright, adjustable beam and an easy-to-use clicky tail switch.

I discovered it at Home Depot for $49 before I found the light here at CPF and got myself a Fenix, Nitecore and a Photon keychain.

It's a dandy, and is definitely worth checking out next time you're at HD.
this is the one i have, actually. overall its a nice light, and one of only two (other than maglites) i know of thats focusable. (the other is the fenix e20.) however, the battery life leaves something to be desired, and i wish it were waterproof like most LED lights are nowadays. neither is that big of a problem for me since i use nothing but rechargeables generally. i do like the actual size of the flashlight quite a bit, years from now when its outlived its usefulness, i might see if i can upgrade it with whatever the LED of the time is and convert it to use a CR123 or maybe 17670/18650 if they fit. its still my only light in this size range and will remain so for some time.

Last edited:

piojo

Newly Enlightened
Hey piojo prior to your new fenix what is the brightest light you've ever owned/handled?

I had and lost a 9 LED Dorcy and I have 45 Lumen Dorcy. If I hadn't lost the first light, I would not now be looking at higher quality lights. The 9 LED light was bright enough for my purposes, most of the time, but did sometimes leave me jealous of people with "old fashioned" flashlights, which were sometimes brighter. The 45 lumen torch doesn't have that problem :)

By the way, what's so wrong with 3*AAA lights? I know they aren't so good for their size, because 3 AAA batteries barely store more power than one AA battery. But is there something else?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
By the way, what's so wrong with 3*AAA lights? I know they aren't so good for their size, because 3 AAA batteries barely store more power than one AA battery. But is there something else?

They are usually direct drive only, and use a flimsy battery carrier which introduces it's own issues.

In general, it's a clear sign of cheaply made light with little engineering work put into the design. a.k.a "Cheap junk"

gsxrac

Enlightened
Hahaha well you should love your new Fenix then ;) Im sure youll be back for a bigger badder light soon (even if it isnt as useful as a 45lm light :twothumbs
:welcome:
Ohh yea and I dont know what it is about Dorcy's but ive lost 2 myself?

1dash1

Enlightened
... I'm looking for a replacement that I can take hiking and camping ...

BTW, you should always have a backup light. I'd suggest carrying a Gerber Infinity Ultra. Not very bright, but very reliable. They frequently come up for sale on the Marketplace for around $10.

And if you should ever make the mistake of running out of batteries, just take the supposedly "dead" batteries from your LD10 and the Gerber will run for hours on them. The Gerber is a true "battery vampire" (sucks them dry). :naughty:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, you should always have a backup light. I'd suggest carrying a Gerber Infinity Ultra. Not very bright, but very reliable. They frequently come up for sale on the Marketplace for around $10.

And if you should ever make the mistake of running out of batteries, just take the supposedly "dead" batteries from your LD10 and the Gerber will run for hours on them. The Gerber is a true "battery vampire" (sucks them dry). :naughty:

And try atleast one CR123 powered light don't limit yourself to AA or AAA.

BTW :welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think you should add a 1 AAA light for back up. Something like the Fenix E01 sould work.

As for 3 AAA lights, as said before, they dim quickly because AAA batteries aren't meant to take the current draw. The battery carrier makes another thing that could break, and also makes the light larger for something with the similar capacity as a single AA battery.

piojo

Newly Enlightened
I think you should add a 1 AAA light for back up. Something like the Fenix E01 sould work.

I have used a cell phone for light in a pinch--I think I'll buy a backup when I'm happier about my financial situation. (Yes, I know it's only $12 from DX.) Thanks for all the advice!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used a cell phone for light in a pinch--I think I'll buy a backup when I'm happier about my financial situation. (Yes, I know it's only $12 from DX.) Thanks for all the advice!

Dont order it from DX get one from 4sevens of lighthound when your funds are up. Both places are around the same price as DX but much better companys.