DEFT-High Output Got Lux?

tohagan

Newly Enlightened
I share a similar feeling of being left out...It seems I will just have to link this threat to my iPhone desktop and just check it every couple of minutes every day!!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
FFFFFFFUUUUUUU@@@@@@%%%%%%%&&&&&***(())^&^%^%$#$#KKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Missed out again!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:...

I can only hope that the optics issue will be resolved and I can get in on another run, I NEED THE HO!!!!
:duck:Don't worry there's more coming.

I share a similar feeling of being left out...It seems I will just have to link this threat to my iPhone desktop and just check it every couple of minutes every day!!
I think I'm going to give a couple days notice and have a specific time from now on so everyone doesn't have to constantly check every hour. Hows that sound?

mrwhite1

Newly Enlightened
You dont have to check the thread every minute, all that is necessary is to subscribe to the thread with instant email notifications, then any new post will be sent via email so you wont have to check the page constantly.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Will there be any more FTP's? The HO sounds like a better light but the FTP was more affordable.... :broke:

Cpt. Thomas

Newly Enlightened
The beauty of the FTP was the price point and if you make another run I will pre-pay my order, please PM me. The HO is over my self agreed budget :-(

Cpt. Thomas

mrwhite1

Newly Enlightened
Well the DEFT-HO arrived last night. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical of whether this light was really going to live up to it's reputation. Plus with only being driven by 4 AA batteries... could it really be that powerful?? Well allow me to dispell the myths, everything I read was exactly correct, It's amazing!

Can't say I've ever wanted it to get dark so quickly so i could test it out on something besides the living room wall. It is a little strange because the light beam is in the shape of a square, with a small rectangle attached to bottom of it. It's hard to believe the light is basically a laser beam. When I tested it off my back deck, there is almost no spill at all, just a bright spot at whatever you shine it at. I measured the spot at 30 feet to be roughly 12 inches square.

I didn't get the opportunity to take any beamshots or to stretch it out. Although I did bring it to work with me this morning to show it off. And I did happen to use it on several corn fields during my morning commute. This one field I shot it across is at least a couple hundred yards across, and I could clearly see a square beam of light on the trees behind it! Plus it was already starting to get day light!! I brought my rangefinder with me to take some distances on the way home.

The black finish looks nice and appears well constructed. I am very pleased with your product Michael! Thank you very much!

2u9pnv8.jpg

2h2driu.jpg

11wdfk1.jpg

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the DEFT-HO arrived last night. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical of whether this light was really going to live up to it's reputation. Plus with only being driven by 4 AA batteries... could it really be that powerful?? Well allow me to dispell the myths, everything I read was exactly correct, It's amazing!

Can't say I've ever wanted it to get dark so quickly so i could test it out on something besides the living room wall. It is a little strange because the light beam is in the shape of a square, with a small rectangle attached to bottom of it. It's hard to believe the light is basically a laser beam. When I tested it off my back deck, there is almost no spill at all, just a bright spot at whatever you shine it at. I measured the spot at 30 feet to be roughly 12 inches square.

I didn't get the opportunity to take any beamshots or to stretch it out. Although I did bring it to work with me this morning to show it off. And I did happen to use it on several corn fields during my morning commute. This one field I shot it across is at least a couple hundred yards across, and I could clearly see a square beam of light on the trees behind it! Plus it was already starting to get day light!! I brought my rangefinder with me to take some distances on the way home.

The black finish looks nice and appears well constructed. I am very pleased with your product Michael! Thank you very much!

Very glad to hear you like it. It's funny how often people mention needing to stretch it out. It has very long legs:D Enjoy!

mrwhite1

Newly Enlightened
I'm in disbelief every time I turn it on and the beam just keeps going on. For a light this size / power it's unbelievable how bright it is! It's like it keeps begging to be challenged. I blasted it across a 400 yard field this morning, no problem! I'm anxious to try to compare it to my Surefire Beast II in terms of throw.

jblackwood

Enlightened
I got mine last night and I'm impressed too. To say it out throws my FTP is an understatement (but then again, so does my Dereelight DBS). I think the HO even out does my Enthusiast model! I'll have pics to back up my claims in about a week . . . I'll even throw in the Dereelight for comparison. I'll be using Google maps to calculate distance since that's the scale we're talking here. Just so you guys know what I'm comparing it to, my Enthusiast was one of the last of the run where Michael added the precollimator. I don't think it has the nicer lens, though, which is why I got an FTP hoping to get one that outperformed my Enthusiast.

I'm already devising my plans. :devil: I don't have an SLR but I do have a nice point and shoot with a huge lens and I know how to work the manual settings. Tripod for the camera when I set the longer exposure times and a little table to set the lights on so there's no shake on either end. I hope my shots do these lights justice. I bow to LuxLuthor and his beamshot comparisons, though. This will be my first shoot out of this kind and I only have the three DEFTs and the DBS as far as aspheric lights go. I do have two HIDs I could compare them against, but they're really different beasts entirely. DEFTs just get compared to HIDs so much because they're the only LED lights that can throw as far.

Love the lanyard. I'll be ordering two more for my other DEFTs!

AZLight

Newly Enlightened
I got both a DEFT HO and a FTP and they will be used heavily during the scouting and hunting season this fall. Now, where is the best place to get some spare battery holders? I want to do some speed loading while out in the field. TIA.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The money in my paypal account is looking for a new home...any idea how long before it can move in with you?:D
I was having trouble today doing the final tune on all the lights as they were not meeting spec even though the beam from them looks incredible. At first I thought it was my meter but now I am thinking it is the batteries/lights. Since I spec Energizer Ultimate lithiums for these to run on that is what I test with. The average figures I have been getting are about 190K lux @1m calculated. I just bought a new set of Ultimate lithiums for testing the other day and noticed that it said "new and improved" on the front. This is just a theory right now but I am wondering if the improvements they made are causing me problems. Why you ask? Well the circuit in the DEFT is 7135 based and is at the limit at 6V input. Although 4AAs can be over that I have always relied on the fact that in use the voltage sags thus bringing the voltage in line. My theory is that the improvements they made reduced voltage sag. This would cause the 7135 to run really inefficiently and may be reducing output. I really don't know just yet and need to spend some more time testing to make sure I am factoring everything in. I am going to go buy more batteries tomorrow of various types to test with. It could be that the ones I got are bad too although I doubt it. I will put them up as soon as I feel comfortable that there is nothing wrong. I put NiMHs in them and they did meet spec so that is why I am pointing to the change made in the Energizer Lithiums. Will let you know more when I do.

LHolden

Newly Enlightened
Well, I know I...and I am sure everyone else...certainly appreciate your no compromise approach, even if it means waiting a little longer:(

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was having trouble today doing the final tune on all the lights as they were not meeting spec even though the beam from them looks incredible. At first I thought it was my meter but now I am thinking it is the batteries/lights. Since I spec Energizer Ultimate lithiums for these to run on that is what I test with. The average figures I have been getting are about 190K lux @1m calculated. I just bought a new set of Ultimate lithiums for testing the other day and noticed that it said "new and improved" on the front. This is just a theory right now but I am wondering if the improvements they made are causing me problems. Why you ask? Well the circuit in the DEFT is 7135 based and is at the limit at 6V input. Although 4AAs can be over that I have always relied on the fact that in use the voltage sags thus bringing the voltage in line. My theory is that the improvements they made reduced voltage sag. This would cause the 7135 to run really inefficiently and may be reducing output. I really don't know just yet and need to spend some more time testing to make sure I am factoring everything in. I am going to go buy more batteries tomorrow of various types to test with. It could be that the ones I got are bad too although I doubt it. I will put them up as soon as I feel comfortable that there is nothing wrong. I put NiMHs in them and they did meet spec so that is why I am pointing to the change made in the Energizer Lithiums. Will let you know more when I do.

D. None of the above.

After much confusion it turns out it was something quite simple. Not the lights or the batteries. It was extra resistance from the battery holder.:ohgeez: I put Deoxit on the surfaces and some conductive improver in some key spots and all is well. The NiMH gave me good readings before but I think it may have been a fluke. Anyway all is well now and I will be shipping the remainder of the lights that were awaiting tuning. There will be a few extra here in a day or two as well so I will advise everyone as soon as I get those packed and ready.