Dereelight DBS or Tiablo A9?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the DBS really give nearly 4x the high output of the CL1H? It's only 2.5cm longer and 1.3cm wider at the head... not that much bigger.

I took some pictures for you, and others, who are having trouble understanding how the DBS can throw so much more than a CL1H.

Reflectors from left to right, DBS, CL1H, Surefire P60, Fenix P3D:

Any questions? :)

I meant to throw a Mag D reflector in there too... Maybe next time. :)

garence

Newly Enlightened
I took some pictures for you, and others, who are having trouble understanding how the DBS can throw so much more than a CL1H.

Any questions? :)

I meant to throw a Mag D reflector in there too... Maybe next time. :)
Wow! Now I see the light. (no pun intended!). Thanks for showing that photo comparison, Wade.

I've realized that my question was rather vague--I did mean overall output, as I do know that throw and spill are the two main components to output. Both lights utilize a Cree XR-E Q5 LED, and same battery configuration... so I was surprised to see that the lux output comparisons between the two lights was significantly higher in the DBS, even when looking at spill (based on the data on LightReviews). Is the driver circuit any different between them? It just seems too amazing that the reflector would make such a difference.

Alan's posting format is a little inconsistent on the CPFMarketplace posting. But from what I'm gathering, the CL1H drop-in has a low output of 100~200ma and high output of 800~1000ma, while the DBS drop-in has a low output of 120ma and a high output of 1200ma. Not a huge difference, but coupled with the reflector differences I guess that's what does it? :thinking:

Last edited:

garence

Newly Enlightened
Funny how measurements can sometimes be deceiving without a visual. Looking at this comparative photo, it's clear that the CL1H is more of an EDC.
DSC02790.JPG

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Q5 pills are all, more or less, putting out the same lumens. It's all down to the reflector. When you take all that light and focus into a tight area, that area will be brighter and generate a higher LUX reading. If you take a reflector that doesn't focus the light down as tight, the LUX reading will be lower.

An aspheric lens over a Cree Q5 can produce an even tighter beam, resulting in an even higher lux reading.

robo21

Enlightened
I remember reading about 2 issues with the DBS:

1. A high pitched noise.
  2. Problems with the switch.
Have these been addressed by Deree?

garence

Newly Enlightened
The Q5 pills are all, more or less, putting out the same lumens. It's all down to the reflector. When you take all that light and focus into a tight area, that area will be brighter and generate a higher LUX reading. If you take a reflector that doesn't focus the light down as tight, the LUX reading will be lower.

An aspheric lens over a Cree Q5 can produce an even tighter beam, resulting in an even higher lux reading.
Based on that, if the DBS reflector makes for a more intense spot, then I'd expect the CL1H to have a higher lux in the spill and less in the spot... but on Light Reviews, it shows the DBS beating out the CL1H in both spot and spill lux readings. There's no indication of distance... I wonder how the lux reading varies based on distance to target. (Pardon my "newbie" questions... I'm rather new to all this).