Dereelight Javelin

jblackwood

Enlightened
One last thing. If you're in the US, make sure you order from the flashlightconnection. Flashcrazy will take care of you with the same products, which he often tests himself, and the same level of customer service that these products demand, without the two week wait for shipping.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
Nice review Jblackwood! I just received my Javelin yesterday (from flashlight connection) and I agree with everything you said. My tint is nice and white as well. Every flashaholic with an arsenal of eneloops should take a close look at this bad boy. :hitit:

Some pics:
IMG_2081.jpg

3x Eneloop AA ^^

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

Last edited:

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
Got a Javelin today, bright on 2 AA's but tint is on the yellow/warm side at least from what I'm used to with a M60 being very white and crazy bright...but it's still a high quality light and drop-in and actually may serve my brother-in-law well, as the warmer tint may be easier on the eyes since he's a police officer who will use the light both indoors and outside; he wanted it for a backup light.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Funny thing about those warm tints. Unless they venture over into the brown (5B?), their color rendering is actually inferior to the blue or even just the white lights. Of course, they're all inferior as far as color rendering goes to any light that claims "high CRI."

My Javelin with the XP-G is a nice, pure white. It's so bright on the three eneloops and I keep my clip on. Looks a little geeky, but I love the option to just clip it to a belt loop and the low profile makes it easy to handle w/o having to remove the clip.

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
Yeah well the next time I order one I would request that the seller pick one out that was cool but my brother-in-law liked it when he saw it and was surprised that it only ran on 2 AA's. I did a comparison next to my M60 and the beam pattern was just a bit wider because of its reflector rather than the Malkoff's optic...but that yellow :sick2:. Just wasn't what I was expecting. But hey, the light wasn't for me! :D

jblackwood

Enlightened
There aren't many people like you who turn their noses up at yellow. Not bagging on you, just letting you know the general preference. Lots of people like warm tints and most are just happy with white. Flashcrazy is the Dereelight dealer in the US. He classifies tints on lights as Dereelight ships them that way. When you order yours, I'm sure he'll work with you in that respect. Though I've NEVER gotten a green, violet, or blue light from Dereelight and, if you check around, I think you'll find those are the three most dreaded hues, for one reason or another, around here. I certainly favor my pure white and warm white lights, especially over the blue and green lights I have.

recDNA

Flashaholic
There aren't many people like you who turn their noses up at yellow. Not bagging on you, just letting you know the general preference. Lots of people like warm tints and most are just happy with white. Flashcrazy is the Dereelight dealer in the US. He classifies tints on lights as Dereelight ships them that way. When you order yours, I'm sure he'll work with you in that respect. Though I've NEVER gotten a green, violet, or blue light from Dereelight and, if you check around, I think you'll find those are the three most dreaded hues, for one reason or another, around here. I certainly favor my pure white and warm white lights, especially over the blue and green lights I have.

The yellow I don't like IS greenish yellow and look at the Quark XPG thread if you think everybody likes it. Some do. MANY don't. Warm light is more beige than yellow IMO.

I prefer stark blazing white but would prefer blue or violet to greenish yellow or green. I never saw green from a flashlight until I bought my first XP-G. As soon as I see a truly white one I'll get over my concern about them.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Funny thing about those warm tints. Unless they venture over into the brown (5B?), their color rendering is actually inferior to the blue or even just the white lights. Of course, they're all inferior as far as color rendering goes to any light that claims "high CRI."

My Javelin with the XP-G is a nice, pure white. It's so bright on the three eneloops and I keep my clip on. Looks a little geeky, but I love the option to just clip it to a belt loop and the low profile makes it easy to handle w/o having to remove the clip.

Have you got a Quark XP-G/ I'd LOVE to see comparison beam shots!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Anybody know if you can run the Javelin on 3 L91's?

Can anybody compare the brightness of the Javelin with the XP-G drop-in it comes with in the 3 battery set up to the Quark 2 X CR123 XP-G?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know if you can run the Javelin on 3 L91's?

Can anybody compare the brightness of the Javelin with the XP-G drop-in it comes with in the 3 battery set up to the Quark 2 X CR123 XP-G?

That's pushing it, but if the answer is Yes, then how about trying 1.6-1.8V rechargeable nickel-zinc AA cells? You can get 'em four for $10, plus the charger. As soon as my first dozen arrive from Amazon, my 1.2V AA cells will be demoted to spares.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Have you got a Quark XP-G/ I'd LOVE to see comparison beam shots!

I've got two. One is the nicest white I've ever seen, every bit as nice as my Javelin. The other is just as green as my Nitecore Q5 D10 (XR-E, by the way). So I know what you're saying, recDNA, I posted on the Quark board myself so I have no real need to check it. :poke:

Green isn't equal to warm, I think you may be using that term incorrectly, which is why I said what I said and I stick by it, most people like warm; most people don't like green. If you get a neutral white or warm white emitter, there's no way it's coming with any green tint in it.

As far as screen shots, I'm no good at them. Maybe someone else can grant your wish? :cool:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Where we disagree is the definition of warm. To me warm is beige - not yellow. It's fine to like whatever we like but I can enjoy the brownish warm light of incandescents I hate yellow light and I don't think yellow light IS warm.

Glad you agree with me about green. I just want to get even further down or up the spectrum away from it! LOL

I hate to be poked!:mecry:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Alright, alright. Consider my poke rescinded! If you give the 100 lumen warm, high CRI model by Henry a try, though, I think you'd like it. I consider it to be both yellow and pleasing. Besides, isn't beige a milder form of yellow with brown mixed in (my mom is an art teacher and I was very good with color)?

Henry does away with all of this "is it yellow, is it brown," type of debate and uses scientifically accepted definitions when specifying what he sells. I don't have any of his GT, models but if they're anything like my warm, high CRI Clicky, they truly are something to behold. It's like French Vanilla ice cream for my eyes, they make every painting in my house spring to life. Heck, if you don't like it, most people sell theirs (when they do) for pretty close to their original purchase price.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Alright, alright. Consider my poke rescinded! If you give the 100 lumen warm, high CRI model by Henry a try, though, I think you'd like it. I consider it to be both yellow and pleasing. Besides, isn't beige a milder form of yellow with brown mixed in (my mom is an art teacher and I was very good with color)?

Henry does away with all of this "is it yellow, is it brown," type of debate and uses scientifically accepted definitions when specifying what he sells. I don't have any of his GT, models but if they're anything like my warm, high CRI Clicky, they truly are something to behold. It's like French Vanilla ice cream for my eyes, they make every painting in my house spring to life. Heck, if you don't like it, most people sell theirs (when they do) for pretty close to their original purchase price.

3700 K isn't for me. I like 5500 K about the same as sunlight at noon but where you like to get even warmer than sunlight I like to move toward cooler blue from there. That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla - and in my case - blue vanilla ice!

jblackwood

Enlightened
3700 K isn't for me. I like 5500 K about the same as sunlight at noon but where you like to get even warmer than sunlight I like to move toward cooler blue from there. That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla - and in my case - blue vanilla ice!

Sounds like some anime heroines I've seen . . . mmmmmm, blue vanilla . . . . arghrghrghrgh!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just received my new Javelin. Color is perfect white as requested when I ordered it. Now I KNOW XP-G doesn't have to be green. I wish I had 2 so I could compare 2 X L91 (3.4 V) to 2 X Eneloop (2.4 V). It seems that the Energizers should produce higher output but by the time I switch I really can't tell. My camera does not allow manual settings so I can't tell that way either. Obviously I'm more into flashlights than cameras! For me it would be too long with the extender but I was hoping to come close to the output of 3 Eneloops by using 2 L91's.

I can tell you this...I never would have believed you could get this kind of output from 2 X AA.

I wonder if I ever tried a pill that would handle 9 volts if I could use 2 X 14500 Li Ion without burning out the tail switch?

Last edited: