Dereelight Javelin

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
A week ago, I began to EDC a 3AA Javelin with Eneloop cells. For my module, I'm alternating between an M30WF and a NailBender direct-drive warm MC-E. Both work great when driven by 3AAs, but I'm planning to add a second extender to run a 4AA Javelin. With 4 AAs, the M30WF will stay longer in regulation, while the direct-drive MC-E will be brighter.

The one downside of the Javelin 3AA is that the extender is a bit too narrow to allow an Eneloop to be removed by gravity; you have to whack the Javelin against something to force out the final two cells. With two such extender, it might be easier to unscrew the tail and the head.

You are gonna have a nice walking stick:crackup: Seriously; pictures and beamshoots are a must.

I tried the same set-up with Solarforce L2 and 3 18650 extentions with 4 NiMH 18650 cells and nailbender P7 dd, but I couldn't get the cells to work:ohgeez:

looking forward to that lego.

Haz

Enlightened
How is this light?, i'm quite interested in this light because it claims to have a long throw, uses common AA batteries, and uses a common replacement Drop In LED module.

This design allows the user easy future upgrades without buying a whole new light, or have modding skills.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is this light?, i'm quite interested in this light because it claims to have a long throw, uses common AA batteries, and uses a common replacement Drop In LED module.

This design allows the user easy future upgrades without buying a whole new light, or have modding skills.

• Small like a Eagle Tac AA, Fenix AA lighs
  • P60 compatible
  • With boost drivers in P60 drop-ins full 260 lumens w/2 AA
  • You decide if you want throw, flood, or anything that is offered P60 style.
I like this to get full power on SST-50 2.5A driver P60 drop-ins from nailbender. Thin and bright with full power and 3 AA cells:twothumbs

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm EDC'ing a 3AA Javelin, powered by 1.2V Sanyo Eneloop cells. For the module, I switch between a Malkoff M30WF (warm flood) and a NailBender direct-drive warm MC-E. Though the MC-E emits more lumens, I prefer using the M30WF because its beam is so perfect and useful that it makes me feel rich. But that could change when I install a diffuser lens from flashlightlens.com. I tried the 28.6mm but it's too wide, so I'll try again with a 24.something and 22.something.

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
I gave two of these as Christmas gifts, and was pretty impressed with them. With the stock drop-in, and the smooth reflector, they throw very well for a 2xAA.

My only complaint is that one of the tail caps had some sort of short somewhere, and it was locked "on" all the time. After disassembling it several times, we were unable to locate the short, so Alan at Dereelight will be mailing us a new tail cap. The customer service was excellent, but I was a little bummed that I gave someone a semi-broken light as a gift.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dereelight Javelin tailcap short

My only complaint is that one of the tail caps had some sort of short somewhere, and it was locked "on" all the time. After disassembling it several times, we were unable to locate the short, so Alan at Dereelight will be mailing us a new tail cap. The customer service was excellent, but I was a little bummed that I gave someone a semi-broken light as a gift.

Holy cow: My tailcap shorted out 3 days ago! I had been quickly inserting and removing my two drop-ins and wasn't sure what had happened; all I knew was that the head and tail were getting hotter and hotter. I discovered that the plastic case of the top Eneloop cell's button end had melted away, and the tailcap smelled awful and wouldn't turn off unless I unscrewed it. I wasn't going to mention it here because I figured I must have done something wrong.

It sure would be nice to be able to use robust tailcaps made for the Surefire C series.

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
Re: Dereelight Javelin tailcap short

Holy cow: My tailcap shorted out 3 days ago! I had been quickly inserting and removing my two drop-ins and wasn't sure what had happened; all I knew was that the head and tail were getting hotter and hotter. I discovered that the plastic case of the top Eneloop cell's button end had melted away, and the tailcap smelled awful and wouldn't turn off unless I unscrewed it. I wasn't going to mention it here because I figured I must have done something wrong.

It sure would be nice to be able to use robust tailcaps made for the Surefire C series.

Yours sounds like it shorted out the battery in a way that the light wasn't working - mine was very different.

The short was basically across the tail switch, so in effect the light was always turned on. It didn't overheat or anything like that - the tail switch was just not part of the circuit, and the light was always on unless you loosened either the tail cap or head.

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
I received my Javelin a week ago, but only recently had a chance to look at it. I have the 3 mode XPG R5 1C version plus a AA extender. Some comments:

• This thing is bright! The XPG with an orange peel reflector gives a beam with a very bright and broad hotspot. No rings or beam artifacts, and the tint is cool but not blue or green.
  • Much sturdier build then my Fenix L2d CE (my only other 2xAA light).
  • Feels good in the hand, and looks well balanced to in the 2xAA format due to the tapered design. A little less attractive in the 3xAA configuration, but certainly not ugly.
  • Modes are nicely spaced.
  • The switch (a forward clicky) is stiffer then I'm used to, but acceptable.
  • The light can tailstand, but is less stable then the L2D due to the scalloped tailcap design and heavier head.
I also made a 2xAA eneloop run time graph on max using a Canon IXUS800 with the CHDK firmware and jirik_cz's script found here (see post #13 for the script): https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209202

The light stayed in regulation for ~66 minutes, in line with the 60 minutes mentioned in FlashCrazy's marketplace thread. The head and battery tube were quite warm to touch after an hour or so, suggesting a good thermal pathway between the pill and the torches body. No cooling was used, and no significant heat induced loss in output is present to my eye.

dereelight2xaaruntime.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the light, and would recommend it to anyone interested in a high quality p60 host that can run on AA cells. Hopefully suitable (ie low voltage) p60 dropins won't be too hard to find as I think AA powered p60 lights have a lot of potential.

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
So does anyone have Lux measurements for the XP-G pill in the OP reflector? In FlashCrazy's thread over at the marketplace he says he measured 9000+ Lux with the R2 pill in a smooth reflector, and I'm curious to know how much better it throws then the XP-G R5 version I have.

Can anyone with both these pills on hand give some impressions?

Edit: One more question, which is likely to throw further, the XP-G R5 in a smooth reflector, or the R2 in a smooth reflector?

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
So does anyone have Lux measurements for the XP-G pill in the OP reflector? In FlashCrazy's thread over at the marketplace he says he measured 9000+ Lux with the R2 pill in a smooth reflector, and I'm curious to know how much better it throws then the XP-G R5 version I have.

Can anyone with both these pills on hand give some impressions?Edit: One more question, which is likely to throw further, the XP-G R5 in a smooth reflector, or the R2 in a smooth reflector?

I should have a Lux meter soon, but what I have now is a Dereelight OP reflector R2 tested at 202 OTF lumens and a XP-G R4 P60 OP tested at 306 lumens.

I can tell you that the R2 while being 100ish less lumens beats the XPG-R4 by a considerable margin and as long as that remains R2's will have a purpose.

bigC

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
I should have a Lux meter soon, but what I have now is a Dereelight OP reflector R2 tested at 202 OTF lumens and a XP-G R4 P60 OP tested at 306 lumens.

I can tell you that the R2 while being 100ish less lumens beats the XPG-R4 by a considerable margin and as long as that remains R2's will have a purpose.

bigC

Thanks for the reply mate. I assume both dropins have smooth reflectors?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply mate. I assume both dropins have smooth reflectors?

No, they both had Orange Peel. I do have smooth reflectors for them, but they are spray painted black for an old aspheric set-up that I parted with. Thus, they both got tested with orange peel only but the beam was purrrty.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Thanks! I'll be placing an order. How long did shipping take?

Mark

If you order from Flashcrazy and are in the USA, then you'll have your light within the week, easily. As long as it's in stock . . . Javelins might not be at the moment, though. Still, it's better to deal with a US dealer, much shorter turnaround time, not that I've had many issues with my five Dereelights.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Javelins have just been updated with Cree XP-G R5 LED's, and they're on the way to us. Should be here by Monday. :)

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
I gave two of these as Christmas gifts, and was pretty impressed with them. With the stock drop-in, and the smooth reflector, they throw very well for a 2xAA.

As an update, the new tail cap arrived at my house last week, and I mailed it on to its final destination. He got around to trying it out last night, and it worked fine. There was just something wrong with that one tailcap, but Alan replaced it quickly and all is well.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Hooo boy, do I love this light! Just an update for those of you who might not know, I love me some Dereelights! Just got the Javelin with an XP-G pill and reflector. After fitting the extension and dropping in some Eneloops, I fired it on and whammo, what a nice, large hotspot with a creamy smooth transition from the big hot spot (compared to XP-E and XR-E emitters) to the nice bright center.

Not only was the light bright, but it was white! It just seems that every single pill I've gotten from the Dereelight, whether it was the Quad die MC-E or the XR-E emitters for use with either smooth or OP reflector or an Aspheric lens, they're all white! Maybe they just pick the best pills, maybe I've just been lucky, but statistically, it can't be! I've got five pills that I switch from one body to another from time to time from Dereelight and each one of them is just perfectly white. I've got way less lights from other manufacturers and I seem to have either blue, violet, or green from every other brand. Keep it up on this front, Dereelight. If tint matters to you, Dereelight really seems to screen their emitters for them. Obviously, from the last paragraph, I've gotten over my fears of green-ness in an XP-G. This isn't my first XP-G, but it is the first one I own that runs on AA's that I like!!! Leave it to Dereelight to even up the odds on that front.

Also, I've got lots of P60, two cell hosts. This new light is trying to tap into the market of the more regular folk who'd like to dip their toe into the p60 market. If you're shopping for a host that will run your drop-in off of AA's, this is your light. I might have recommended the C2H since the machining on that body is superb, but this light is just a joy to hold! Your pinky rests so comfortably on the slightly flaring curve up by the tailcap end (did I mention it tailstands, even with the extension) and there's knurling right where there needs to be by the head. The clip is low profile and holds on like a dream. The only clip I like more is McGizmo's, and that's just not in this price class. If you liked the CL1H, v.4, this light is modeled very similarly. The head has some cooling fins that make the head look kind of cool. Probably the only thing I'd rather hold is the Elzetta chrome body I have . . . though I can't use that one since if it scratches, it's done, there's no refinishing that (true shelf queen, that one is). Advantage: Javelin (so fun to say it!)

Just so you know, it seems to be a little brighter on three batteries than on two and still feels streamlined and a dream to hold with the extension. The clip unscrews if you want to remove it and then you put on a ring that's included in the package. Be sure to put a piece of paper under the clip in order to keep the anodizing intact and to avoid unnecessary scratches. I prefer the functionality of the clip, though, especially since its design doesn't keep you from easily sliding the light into your pocket.

All in all, yet another winner from Dereelight. For those of you who don't yet own a Dereelight and wonder why more people don't crow too much about it, think of this: every one of these lights is upgradable. Their owners wait until a pill comes out and just get the pill and drop it into their torch. Instant, economic, new light!

I probably won't be getting any more AA size lights. I resisted as long as I could and now have a Dereelight for every size class. Unless they start making their aspherics as big as Michael, aka Saabluster, It's safe to say that I'll be using a Dereelight whenever I go out at night. Every one of their lights has anti-roll, is upgradable, has a glow-in-the-dark boot for the clicky switch, and has a clip that still allows use in most holsters (DBS, CL1H, and my Javelin all work in holsters that have come with other lights, even with the clip attached).

Dereelight doesn't really need to come out with many more models, just keep cranking out the pills with the excellent tints. You've got legions of patrons waiting to support you! :candle::D:party: