Dereelight Javelin

red02

Enlightened
CL1H uses the same size lamp and reflector, the Javelin can (technically) use any P60 sized reflector. Since its from the same company there should be zero compatibility issues.

Forgot if I mentioned anything about this: Nailbender has made a successful business out of making custom P60 compatible dropins from this thread. The Javelin will take any LED (the actual lamp) with a 0.9-4.2v driver (the electronics) in a "P60" size which will allow it to run up to 3 AAs or NiMHs. These will allow you to interchange lamp assemblies and reflectors freely if you so decide to get an XRE in the future or along with an empty host.

Last edited:

Notsure Fire

Enlightened
How can light orange peel give better throw than Smooth? It might diffuse it and make it more even, but the smooth reflector will still have more lux in the hotspot, hence more "throw".

MK9

Newly Enlightened
What does all this mean!!! :confused:

Where is the concordance for all the Javelin stuff you be speakin' of?

I like the idea of a NOHS AA light but I do not have a clue as to all the this and thats of which you speak. :mecry:

P60?
0.9-4.2v driver ?
compatible dropins ?
CL1H OP-XPG reflector?
C2H OP-XPG reflector?
SMO reflector ?
malkoff?
XR-E reflector?
etc...

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened
Well it looks like I will be the guinea pig for this new reflector because last week I ordered the Javelin XPG R5 with the new SMO reflector, the extension tube and the OP reflector.

The package is taking it's time leaving Hong Kong but will be on its way to the UK tomorrow. Beam shots of the two different reflectors will be coming as soon as I get the light. So stay tuned... :popcorn:

The Dereelight site is very confusing MK9 there are no categories which break down which items are compatible with what. The site really does need to be overhauled. What are you having trouble with?

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
What does all this mean!!! :confused: Where is the concordance for all the Javelin stuff you be speakin' of?

P60?

A standard more or less, originated by SureFire. A P60 module is a self-contained lamp assembly usually incorporating a reflector and bulb or LED these days. Allows you to swap one assembly for another in a P60 compatible light. Most of the lights discussed on CPF are not P60 hosts (i.e. NiteCore, Fenix, Sunwayman, Jetbeam, OLight, etc) however a great deal of discussion on CPF is focussed on P60 hosts and components for them (SureFire, Dereelight, SolarForce, Nailbender, Malkoff, etc).

P60 Hosts are the flashlight component(s) which house the P60 lamp assembly. Many vendors make P60 hosts.

0.9-4.2v driver ?

The circuitry for a P60 LED module will often require a supply voltage within a certain range. If you supply too much voltage your drop-in is likely to go poof! When buying modules you need to consider what host it will sit in as this will generally determine what sort of cells / batteries will provide power. A low voltage driver such as the above might be suitably powered by 2 AA cells or one lithium-ion cell of suitable size but not 2 lithium cells.

Being sure you've bought the right components is part of the fun of it all. Right? :)

compatible dropins ?

Drop-in is another term often interchanged for P60 lamp assemblies. Module is another analogous term. Just be careful, there are other size standards other than P60. Size, voltage, heat generation - there are different aspects of compatibility. Check with the vendor of the drop-in and host to ensure compatibility before buying, not after.

CL1H OP-XPG reflector?
C2H OP-XPG reflector?
SMO reflector ?
XR-E reflector?

You are mixing up flashlight models and terms.

CL1H and C2H are Dereelight products. The former is a P60 host; the latter is not and is what I would call an integrated light.

XP-G is the latest generation of shipping LED emitters made by Cree. XP-E was a prior generation. XP-G is more efficient but a bigger die and tends to produce a more floody less throwy beam by default; XP-E has a smaller die and produces a more throwy beam by default. Vendors sometimes will use the older emitter to achieve a certain style of output but among the big makers, most have been moving their new models to the XP-G to gain access to increased efficiency which usually translates to higher output and/or longer runtime and often both.

Reflector I believe is a self-describing term. SMO is a smooth reflector, OP or LOP are "orange peel" (visualize an orange) textured reflectors. The former is better for "throw" while the latter is generally used to smooth out a beam / avoid "rings" or voids in the beam. Some vendors seem to be dispensing with OP reflectors much to the dismay of many, given the XP-G's propensity to leave a darker void in the centre of the hotspot.

malkoff?

A manufacturer of high quality drop-ins and complete flashlights. Other CPF regulars are involved in drop-in development and production including messrs. Nailbender, Moddoo, and others.

etc...

Just keep reading CPF and all will eventually become clear!

Last edited:

lawsiejr

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight javelin

I have searched for about an hour and couldn't find anything.

Can the mce/sst50 pills be used with the dereelight javelin with 2x14500's?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dereelight javelin

hmm the question is what is the input voltge of the pills? if they are the dereelight ones, techincally yes...

BUT one ahs to check the current draw at the batts...you do no want to exceed it by twice the stated capacity

lawsiejr

Newly Enlightened

Ok thanks for your reply
i just thought that if the 3sm mce takes 2x18650 surely it could work on 2x14500

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened
I received my Dereelight Javelin XPG-R5 (new SMO reflector) + the OP reflector + the extension tube in the post this morning.

img7161c.jpg

2xAA
img7171.jpg

3xAA with the extension tube
img7169u.jpg

Feels like a solid flash light in the hand. Knurling isn't the greatest and feels very skimpy on the body.

img7205j.jpg

Lets take a look at something which hasn't been covered here yet:The mysterious new SMO reflector
img7179c.jpg

I went running downstairs to the basement and firstly please excuse my terrible excuse for a white wall :sigh:. I really need to throw some paint down there!

All photos 1 metre from the not so white wall :green:.

Left 2xAA Solarforce L2R with Solarforce XRE-R2 dropin Max mode
Right 3xAA Javelin SMO reflector Max mode. 1/10 sec ISO 100 F5.6 WB: Daylight

3aasmovsl2r.jpg

The Javelin is very very bright and extremely cool in colour temperature. To call it blue in real world usage would be harsh but comparing it to the Solarforce L2R the colour temps are a world of difference. However you would be forgiven for thinking that the Solarforce was running a neutral emitter in this photo, it certainly doesn't look that warm in real life.

Modes are well spaced but I can't help but notice the purple ting on low and medium modes when pointing at a wall. I can't see any evidence of PWM with my eyes.

Very faint ring artifacts can be seen with the SMO reflector, not really worth mentioning as they are that faint, you need to look hard to see them.

Here is where it gets interesting. My findings between the new SMO and OP reflector weren't exactly what I was hoping or expecting for.

You thinking what I am thinking? The SMO reflector is suspected to have a brighter tighter hot spot.. yeah? :thinking:

3xAA Javelin SMO reflector Max mode. 1/160 sec ISO 100 F5.6 WB: Daylight
3aasmo.jpg

3xAA Javelin OP reflector Max mode. 1/160 sec ISO 100 F5.6 WB: Daylight
3aaop.jpg

.. erm perhaps not! :crazy:. The SMO is slightly tighter but I wouldn't say it is brighter or looks like it will throw better than the OP reflector.

This is extremely surprising to me. Odd indeed, to make sure I am not going insane I may re-shoot the beam shots again.

Edit 6pm: I re-shot the beam shot test again just in case I made a mistake somehow with the filenames, this time shot at 1/320 sec.

SMO
smo2.jpg

OP
op2vp.jpg

Hmm similar result as before.. slightly smaller hotspot on the SMO but not as bright as the OP reflector.

Strange but I can only assume that the reason for this is down to the larger emitter size of the XPG-R5 and that it would require a larger SMO reflector to make a difference?

Hoping someone that is experienced with beam shots can chime in and help me make sense of these shots I have taken.

Here is another interesting shot comparing the Javelin with 2xAA and 3xAA:

2xAA Javelin SMO reflector Max mode. 1/160 sec ISO 100 F5.6 WB: Daylight
2aasmo.jpg

3xAA Javelin SMO reflector Max mode. 1/160 sec ISO 100 F5.6 WB: Daylight
3aasmo.jpg

Not an earth shattering increase in brightness as you might expect with 3xAA. Extra runtime should be very noticeable though.

The real test is outdoors later on this evening, I will be looking at how well the Javelin competes with my Solarforce L2R in the outdoors with throw.

Pretty happy with the Javelin so far.. it looks like a solid light and worthy of being in my small but growing collection.

Last edited:

Notsure Fire

Enlightened

Whatever the specs, look at the box. I mean doesn't that just look so professional that it compensates for any lack of performance? They probably spend a third of the flashlight price to make the boxes alone.

Zflashlight

Newly Enlightened
Nah. It's a nice box, but it's not that big a deal. Probably a local supplier.
-Supplier: i got this catalog for you
-Dereelight: oh i like these black boxes
-Supplier:The ones with magnets?
-Dereelight: yes, they're nice. Can you print the letters in color gold instead of silver?
-Supplier:Sure.
:D

Zflashlight

Newly Enlightened
Pretty happy with the Javelin so far.. it looks like a solid light and worthy of being in my small but growing collection.
How did you find the threads?
Sometimes it sounds like crushing egg shells, not smooth. And the batteries jingle a bit, but i guess that could be normal to accommodate other batteries :confused:

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened

Whatever the specs, look at the box. I mean doesn't that just look so professional that it compensates for any lack of performance? They probably spend a third of the flashlight price to make the boxes alone.

The box is very pretty indeed :).. I would rather though the money cut from the product and have a plain box. But it is a personal thing!

How did you find the threads?
Sometimes it sounds like crushing egg shells, not smooth. And the batteries jingle a bit, but i guess that could be normal to accommodate other batteries :confused:

The threads are indeed crunchy. I think some decent lube will help them! There is a slight battery rattle but it isn't terrible.

Matt7337

Enlightened

I am incredibly jealous of how ringless your Javelins beam is... I bought a DBS V3 at the start of the year along with a spare SMO reflector for my V1 and BOTH the reflector in the V3 and the spare that I got with it throw a ringy beam.

Paolos

Newly Enlightened

Trancersteve, kudos on being able to make enough sense of the dereleelight site to actually place an order!!

Their price is $56 for the light itself then you presumably have to pay for extra reflectors etc (think I'll stick with the op one now though) but did they charge you to ship to the UK? There is no mention of shipping on the site.

Also, it says on there that they don't recommend using the extension with the xp-g r5 (at least I think that's what they are trying to say). Have you had any problems?

mrpink

Newly Enlightened

i just pp'ed dereelight via their website...does anyone know if they give you a tracking number? order confirmation?

recDNA

Flashaholic
best bet is buy the 3 x AA javelin and buy a custom p60 for it (or several) lots of great p60s go thru the market place every month,

from an $8 p4 to a $50 sst-50 3 mode and malkoff,

and everything in between :candle:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217252

You want throw? I've got one for you. Nailbender makes a potted X-RE R2 with smooth reflector driven at 1.4 amps. It's the best P60 thrower I know of. I've never tried it but I bet it would run on 3 L91's. You could check with Nailbender if you decide to go that route. I have a potted one in a single 18500 Fivemega in my coat pocket. It's got the brightness of an R5 with the throw of an R2. Beam ringy on white wall with smooth reflector but why use a thrower indoors?