Designing an LED flashlight for Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
Just read through the whole thread,and amazing how much I learned from it!

I want one of these in stainless when available,and I am sure plenty of other Australians would too in any of the variations.(SS with trits would be too cool!)

jashhash

Enlightened
In response to LFL888 these are still the price points that I hope to offer this light at:

$55 for black hard anodized aluminum
$70 for mill finished stainless steel
$130 for mill finished raw titanium
$145 for titanium with a titanium nitride coating
$240 for titanium + 8 tritium vials (those tritium vials are incredibly expensive)
$255 for titanium w/ nitride coating + 8 tritium vials

Also as an Update I talked to my manufacturer today and he said the first batch of prototypes will be ready for review this Friday. Will see what this first batch looks like. I hope to post some updated progress photos at that time.

jashhash

Enlightened
Alright folks I'm proud to announce the machining of the flashlight body is finished, and it's gorgeous, it's cut so clean it literally sparkles. Also I successfully mounted the XM-L2 emitter straight to the copper slug which is working just great as a heatsink. I ran the light off my power supply at 2 amps and let me tell you the fins and flashlight head heat up pretty quick. Though the flashlight burns hot the heat is more isolated in the upper region. There are some parts still missing including the switch boot and the driver circuit is still being worked on. My electrical engineer is having a real hard time cramming all the circuitry in such a tight space. I will be meeting up with him this Thursday to discuss more about the driver circuit and hopefully not too many compromises will need to be made. In the mean time I leave you with some absolutely stunning photos.

forgive my rough soldering job on the lead wires.

100eyes

Newly Enlightened
Great looking light, though I'm not a fan of wire clips because I find them too flimsy; I don't like how they tend to wiggle around in your hand.

Maybe if a future revision has memory mode I'll buy one, that's unfortunately a dealbreaker for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.