"Developing" digital camera pics?

BrianC

Newly Enlightened
Re: Developing digital pics

I have an S9000 printer which creates dazzling prints running on high quality generic inks. A 4x6 on premium photo gloss costs me roughly $0.10 including ink. An 8x10 is around $0.30 including ink. But having said that, if you:

1. Don't print often
2. Generally only print 4x6

Take it to Walmart or better yet Sam's or Costco. They all use the Fuji Frontier machines which is generally better then the current Kodak machines. Definitely buy a CD burner as it's worth the cost. A thumb drive is convenient, but the stores generally don't accept them.

If you decide to print at home, you will have problems matching colors from screen to paper. On the other hand, that problem is even worse when taking it to a store. At home, at least your printer will produce consistant results and with a little bit of experimentation, you'll have the colors spot on. Fuji Frontiers for me typically over pronounce reds and are a bit dark for me.

6pOriginal

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
BrianC said:

If you decide to print at home, you will have problems matching colors from screen to paper. On the other hand, that problem is even worse when taking it to a store. At home, at least your printer will produce consistant results and with a little bit of experimentation, you'll have the colors spot on. Fuji Frontiers for me typically over pronounce reds and are a bit dark for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading an article on one of the digital photography magazines that, now there are color profiles that you can download to match the ones they use on those machines.

It was quite a lot of work to calibrate all the monitor, printer, scanner....being a newbie, it took me a long time and lots of experiments to get all of them to work together, but it was fun to setup everything by myself (with a lot of help)

I think the direct-print printers may be useful if you just want to print pictures without too much trouble

N162E

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
BrianC said:
I have an S9000 printer which creates dazzling prints running on high quality generic inks. A 4x6 on premium photo gloss costs me roughly $0.10 including ink. An 8x10 is around $0.30 including ink. But having said that, if you:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Brian, Where are you getting paper and ink? I can't find quality 8X10 glossy paper for under .40 cents a sheet and using aftermarket ink is at least another .40 a sheet.

I am looking at printers and your S9000 and the Epson 2200 are at the top of my short list. I like the Epson because it uses the extra light black cartridge, the Canon is smoother, quieter and prints 3 times faster. I print some black and white pictures and the Epson is a better choice for that. Any special comments on your Canon? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif