Did SF change the flashlight world at Shot Show?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
no but youre missing my point, yae is saying that surefire is always the best, i am mearly pointing out that IF and only IF you measure strictly from how bright the thing is, fenix wins out, even IF its because surefire chooses a lower level.

I know you can buy in inexpensive driver and LED, but that too would win in terms of just output. Its just that most of the time, a surefire will win because of its other traits, but that isnt to say that it is the best in every category. Like, i dont really need a bomb proof light, thats why i use my edc (pictured below). Its not the best light, nor do i claim it to be, but it sure is brighter then any surefire 1 cell, that was MY deciding factor. It doesnt have to be anyon elses.

Crenshaw
Have you compared the new E1B side-by-side against your P1D-CE? There is a thread around here where a poster puts the E1B against the P2D, and the E1B was undeniably brighter. Point is, printed numbers don't mean a whole lot...

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you link me? oh by the way, reports have been that the P1DQ5 is brighter then the P2D....:nana:

but i am willing to admit im wrong if someone does a side by side beamshot. But i find it hard to believe that 80torch lumens is brighter then 175 emitter lumens. It is possible that they were compared with the P2D on high instead of turbo?

like said, ill eat my words if someone provides hard evidence..:)

Crenshaw

JamisonM

Enlightened
Could you link me? oh by the way, reports have been that the P1DQ5 is brighter then the P2D....:nana:

but i am willing to admit im wrong if someone does a side by side beamshot. But i find it hard to believe that 80torch lumens is brighter then 175 emitter lumens. It is possible that they were compared with the P2D on high instead of turbo?

like said, ill eat my words if someone provides hard evidence..:)

Crenshaw
I think this may be the post.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this may be the post.
I could be a real troll and say that the E1B probably just has a tighter hotspot..:nana: well it IS a possibility...

but yes, i might be wrong...reagardless,i still want an invictus...if 80 torch lumens are that bright....400..:party:

Crenshaw

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be a real troll and say that the E1B probably just has a tighter hotspot..:nana: well it IS a possibility...

but yes, i might be wrong...reagardless,i still want an invictus...if 80 torch lumens are that bright....400..:party:

Crenshaw
How could you possibly know that SureFire is using torch lumens? Nobody knows. They use their own measuring system for all we know. That stated 80 lumens might very well be 130+ actual torch lumens. But come clean now: you just don't want to admit you've been proven wrong...

back to the "change the flashlight world" thing which a few of you guys have strayed from.... Yes surefire changed the flashlight world. Have any of you guys seen a flashlight that digitally regulates 200 lumens output with the ability to focus the beam in a lossless fashion, while also being able to adjust brightness from 0-200 with ability for momentary maximum, AND have a battery fuel gauge? ....and have a lifetime warranty?

if that does not change the flashlight world, then what does?

_jeff

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lets get real here guys, nothing has changed. Every year there is some improvement that makes for substantially brighter output, and every year people hail it as the next coming. For a couple of months, until something new comes out again.

Its a circle we have all seen dozens of times. It will happen again and again. This perhaps sounds a bit jaded, but it is the way it is. And it will never satisify those who want bigger and brighter for long, because just around the corner...

I tend to agree.When and if technology hits the wall things may stabilize but this seems unlikely.Until that time we should see continued improvements.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Did SF change the flashlight world...

SF and H-D are so similar ... Harley doesn't change the motorcycle world, and they are rarely on the cutting edge, but they certainly push the envelope & have a loyal following. Much like Surefire, who waits til the smoke has cleared to see if a Q5 or SSC P7 emitter is going to have early production problems - which still happens with today's LEDs. Some new technologies work, others don't ... recalls are both expensive & embarrassing. By letting less experienced companies make the early mistakes & take the hit, Surefire solidifies its reputation for reliability.

paulr

Flashaholic
The quantum leap of the Optimus is the zoom lens TIR optic, the first time anything like that has been done that I know of. I don't think I'd count the Chapman Leonard lens light which is a pure lens system. And of course the M*g adjustable reflectors are just crap in terms of making artifacts etc. Of course the idea of a 400 lumen 2 cell light has to appeal to the photon hungry as well. I think Surefire was the first to announce a light using the new 4 die Seoul (or is it Cree) led to get that much power out. That led is probably the reason the L4 is dropped from the catalog: they have a replacement in the works.

greenstuffs

Banned
UA2 and UB2 are my next lights, good thing i have plenty of time to save for them. But now i need to get a E1B just for the heck of it.
The UA2 or UB2 makes the reverse clickies soooooooo yesterday i mean no more point in buying those toys like comparing a Blue Ray to a regular DVD.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
UA2 and UB2 flashlights are looking like digital gadgets made by SONY. I am impress.

Anybody have any links to some pictures and stats of these UA2 and UB2 flashlights? The UB2 sounds like a new improved U2, perhaps?

Edit: Just saw a picture of the UA2.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
How could you possibly know that SureFire is using torch lumens? Nobody knows. They use their own measuring system for all we know. That stated 80 lumens might very well be 130+ actual torch lumens. But come clean now: you just don't want to admit you've been proven wrong...

erm, i just did admit that i might have been proven wrong, and i dont appreciate people accusing me of something i did not do. Please read my post carefully.

and the OP refered to this years shotshow, which i really dont think they did change the flashlight world. They have great products this year, i really want the invictus, but they didnt change the flashlight world. Not this year.

Crenshaw

Last edited: