Different Color 6Ps

revance

Newly Enlightened
I know some people have toyed around with reanodizing their lights in different fun colors and was wondering if there is enough interest in doing this to put together some kind of group buy.

Originally I considered trying to DIY but decided I really don't have the space needed, nor do I want to store the nasty chemicals required. So instead I thought we might be able to put in a group order to an anodizing shop. I figured the Surefire 6P would be a good candidate because it would be easier to strip and buff and everyone could use one (or another).

The biggest problem I see is that its hard to know how its going to turn out. I don't really want to gamble $160 (light + minimum order) to see if it turns out alright and I definitely wouldn't want to have a bunch of them done and have them ruined.

This is the solution I thought of...

Everyone could buy a single "ticket" for $5-10 (no multiples because this isn't supposed to be gambling). That money would be used to buy a 6P and pay for the minimum order to run the single light as a test run. When the light is done we would draw a ticket and that person would win the light. If it turned out well, they would get a cool light. If it turned out like crap... well, they get it anyway. This way we can determine if the particular shop could do it without ruining all of our lights. Then we can do a group buy on 6Ps and send them off to get reanodized. As long as its not a huge group, I think I could do the stripping/buffing on all of them. I would have to practice a bit on some cheap lights first, but I'm handy and I think I can dip a light in a lye mixture and buff it with good results.

Anyone think this has a chance in he** of working? Be honest now.

generic808

Enlightened
Well, honestly, no! I strip and polish lights and I'll tell you from first hand experience, it's not as easy as it seems. It's all about timing and a lot of elbow grease. These take a lot of time and effort to complete so I don't know if you'd be willing to do something like this. I personally wouldn't take on a project like this for a large group buy. I sell my lights but in limited quantities. I've been backed up for quite some time and I have a LONG wait/want list. If you choose to take it on, I wish you the best of luck with the group buy.

Here's a few of my stuff:
IMG_2656a.jpg

IMG_2658a.jpg

IMG_2659a.jpg

revance

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your honesty.

I think the lack of responses speak for themselves.

From what I have read about anodizing, you wouldn't have to buff them to a beautiful shine like you have, but if you don't, the finish will be more matte than glossy (which people probably wouldn't like).

Just to be clear, I wasn't planning on doing this for profit... I simply wanted to find a way to split the anodizing cost. I might just try some DIY anodizing. The sulfuric acid is cheap, so I could just dispose of it after I'm done and forget about storing it.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love something like this, but I'm not sure how realistic it would be. Be sure to post some updates if you make any progress. If it got off the ground I have little doubt that you'd find enough people for a group buy.

Regards,
Tempest

generic808

Enlightened
Just to be clear, I wasn't planning on doing this for profit... I simply wanted to find a way to split the anodizing cost. I might just try some DIY anodizing. The sulfuric acid is cheap, so I could just dispose of it after I'm done and forget about storing it.

Oh, trust me, I totally understand. For myself, it's a labor of love, nothing more. I used to enjoy doing it but I've been a bit overwhelmed with work and all recently that it's becoming a bit cumbersome. For what I charge compared to the amount of effort put in, it's far from being for any personal gains.

If you ever do get it off though, let me know and I'll probably want to send you a few of my lights to have ano'd. An orange and a blue would be nice :naughty:

revance

Newly Enlightened
Thats another problem with the idea... I imagine the order would have to all be the same color. I doubt we could all agree on one color.

Zenster

Enlightened
Anyone think this has a chance in he** of working? Be honest now.

He** yea, it can work.
And I think you make too much of the idea of experimenting to see how it could come out. All you need to do is to find a reputable anodizing shop that does it for a full time living and it shouldn't be an experiment at all.

As far as colors, I'd be in for anything that isn't too outrageous (like hugger orange or pimp yellow).
While I'm a bit more conservative than many and would immediately go for something in a charcoal grey, a steel (greyish) blue or maybe a forest green, I'd be in for just about any color that isn't stupid looking.

So keep me posted if anything happens on this. I'd be good for two if the price is right. And by the way, I'd want just the standard 6P because it's the cheapest host you can start with for the drop-ins I'd like to use.

generic808

Enlightened
Finding an ano shop wouldn't be hard, the problem lies with stripping of the old ano. That there, is a big pain in the you know what :sick2:

revance

Newly Enlightened
Well, I started contacting shops to start getting details. Next step is practicing stripping the ano off some cheap lights to make sure I can do it and see how much time I'm looking at.

Would you all prefer a glossy finish or a matte finish? The matte doesn't require buffing the light up to a shine before anodizing. I am also inquiring with the shops about stripping in case that is more feasible. I might find its unrealistic for me to do all of them after I experiment with it.

I was also considering just forking out the cost of having a test run done and just putting that cost into the group buy (assuming it works). I'll keep this thread updated when I start getting more info. I really hope I can find a way to make this work.

Force Attuned

Enlightened
I'd be interested in a matte metallic colour (undecided which colour yet)for one. For a second I'd love an army camo finish...any chance of this happening??

revance

Newly Enlightened
I'd be interested in a matte metallic colour (undecided which colour yet)for one. For a second I'd love an army camo finish...any chance of this happening??

I'm not even sure if we would be able to do multiple colors in the order... I'm still waiting to get info from the shops. I imagine they might require a minimum order for each color be met.

Don't get too anxious yet... I am still working on figuring out if this is even feasible to do. It does sound like there are enough people interested in it assuming the rest of the details can be worked out.