Different Form Factor?

Jagged

Newly Enlightened
I'm not that big into flashlights yet. I'm hooked already; but not that knowledgeable. For a long time though, I've wondered why someone didn't come out with a quality flashlight that would have two AA batteries next to each other rather than end to end. I think there are some really cheap ones designed like this; but not any higher quality ones of which I am aware. I'm sure some efficiency would be lost. I just want the additional power; but not the additional length.

Now, that I've seen the linked article, I wonder if some battery could be developed that utilizes this technology with a rectangular shape like some cell phone batteries to power a relatively small rectangular flashlight that clips to your belt and we could just forget all the round batteries.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071219103105.htm

Any thoughts?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've seen a few 3D computer graphics concepts here but they never came to be. It would be a good idea, but making it out of metal would either require a mold or a CNC machine, both of which could be expensive. A plastic one might be cheaper but the where would the heat form the LED go(presuming you want high output)?

I would like to have one though if the price is right.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standard cells become an issue.
In would love to see some new quality lights made in different form factors.
McGizmo made a couple of angle head lights. A new form factor using the stock cr123 cell.
I think that Angle head lights hold the most potential these days.

Companies like Surefire stick with traditional shapes and they surprise with new features all within a "standard" form factor.

So how important is it to create flashlights with new shapes when the ones in use today are very functional.
I don't know.
I like stuff like the spy series of lights. These were/are amazing trips into new territory.
The 2 cell side by side form factor is very cool.
If you look around there are some very interesting designs out there.
What does the future hold?
New cell sizes and shapes may well determine the shape of things to come.
Yaesumofo

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Companies like Surefire stick with traditional shapes and they surprise with new features all within a "standard" form factor...

:poke: Surefire has been innovative with side by side configurations. Check out their weapons lights or the M6, ARC1, ARC2.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnderWater Kinetics makes some 2AAA lights like that. They, Streamlight, and I believe Pelican make side by side 4xAA lights. They're a bit oval, but they look comfortable enough. They are all polymer bodied, if that makes a difference.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
images

The common 2CR5 would seem to be a natural for what you describe, 6v, often used in smaller cameras.

Most higher end lights are CNC machined from tubular barstock - 20' lengths are automatically feed into the machining center, profile cut, threaded, reamed, cutoff, etc. Cycle times are quick, costs are low.

Using a flat battery like the 2CR5 would mean a much longer cycle time. If done in small quantities, a solid block of aluminum or titanium would be carved until all the details were done - slow process, higher cost. Larger runs could be done by casting or forging the part, but the cost of even simple molds can easily run $250k and up. You'd have to sell a zillion lights to break even on the mold before ever turning a profit.

Which is why the inline config is so popular:D

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like a plastic body with a metal head should be do-able.Something similar to the PT Blast with a metal head.Heat management would be somewhat limited but better than an all plastic light.The use of a plastic body should make the design more cost effective and the head could still be round.
I think there is a market for a side by side AAA or AA light that can provide 60 lumens or more.Single AA/AAA designs are nice but lack runtime and power. Conventional 2 AA/AAA designs are not very compact hence the popularity of single CR123 lights.
PT,UK,Streamlight,Pelican.....Anyone ? :candle:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen a few 3D concepts here but they never came to be. It would be a good idea, but making it out of metal would either require a mold or a CNC machine, both of which could be expensive. A plastic one might be cheaper but the where would the heat form the LED go(presuming you want high output)?

I would like to have one though if the price is right.
3D batteries would be awkward to hold if they were arranged side-by-side. :poke:

:nana:

Latest posts