Diffs betw. Inova X5, X0, and X03? ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
I used to own an Inova X5T but I wasn't impressed with the light output or the lack of regulation.

But now I see the newer models: X0 and X03.

Are they both regulated?

How much brighter are these lights than the X5?

How much brighter is the X03 than the X0?

I'm also looking at the lower end SureFires and frankly, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the different options out there. I see that the Inova lights are American made which is nice.

Thanks for all the advice guys, very much appreciated!

Christopher

s0crates82

Newly Enlightened
Re: What is the T3, just the X03 in a different case?

X5 uses overdriven 5mm discrete led's,

X0 uses a 1watt Luxeon, with lens and reflector(TIROS) to project a spot a-la X1,

and the X03 uses a Luxeon III, with lens and reflector in the same way as the XO.

The X03 is kind of awesome. Tight spot, great throw, great color, intense brightness.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I have an X5 and an XO, but I have no experience with the XO3..

By comparison, the XO blows away the X5 in brightness. It's regulated and it projects a bright and very white hot spot with enough sidespill to be quite useful. It's not a tight spotlight like the X1. Pretty good throw for an LED too. I still use my X5 around the house once in a while, but I reach for the XO most of the time. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the XO.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flashlightreviews has a list of comparison values. The units are arbitrary (not in lumens or lux), but allow comparison of different lights.

First number is throw (brightness in center of hotspot), second is overall output.

X5T: 9.80, 8.95
XO: 31.62, 20.00
XO3: 44.27, 28.50

You should also read the reviews on the page, since the numbers alone can only tell you so much.

The X5T is definitely a floodlight and illuminates quite a large area, which is why I EDC it. Very good for illuminating a dark work area. The XOs are more spotlights, with rings around the hotspot, which some people don't like. I find especially the XO3 too bright for close up illumination. You should also take a look at the T3. Essentially the same light as the XO3, but with a clicky and knurling, which has much more grip than the fluted design of the X series. If you have slippery hands the momentary switch of the X series is sometimes difficult to press. The T3 is also cheaper, but comes without the (not really perfect) belt pouch of the XO3. The light output of the T3 and XO3 looks exactly the same to me (except for tint differences, of course). I myself have not experienced any lens rattle that other people report. Seems to be a problem of the first run of lights.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
elgarak said:
I find especially the XO3 too bright for close up illumination.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this statement 100%!

I have an XO and an XO3. I find I use the XO more than the XO3 - I think it's more generally useful. I mostly use my XO3 when I'm out walking through wooded areas at night. Sometimes you REALLY want to know what's making that noise in the trees up ahead of you, and the XO3 is much better at that than the XO. For a general purpose light, the XO is better, in my opinion, because it's still very bright, it has decent throw, better spill, and won't blind you if you try to use it for closeup work. It's runtime is pretty high (4 hours), which is also handy.

Honestly, if you are only going to use the light for intermittant periods, the T1 is a great choice. It's smaller, less expensive, quite bright, and lasts for 2 hours on a single CR123a cell. (I think I may have just talked myself into buying one!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

If you really want throw, I think the T3 is actually kind of a good deal compared to the XO3. The T3 doesn't come with a sheath, so may want to buy a different one. But the XO3's sheath is not wonderful - I don't use mine, so I don't think you are worse off for not getting one with the T3.