DIY HID 5300-5600Lumen, cheap and bright as the sun

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Ra said:
Ellipsodial reflectors are useless for flashlights! This one creates a perfect spot at about 100 millimeters from the reflector. The spot is all messed up at infinnity !!

These are mostly used in lab- and medical equipment.

Regards,

Ra.

Well it looks cool anyway.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
Well it looks cool anyway.

Yep Lux, it certainly does !!

And chesterqw: Yes.. that one works fine. The only thing: Rhodium has lower reflection in visible compared to aluminium (76% v. 88%).

Rhodium is highly durable, can be cleaned easily, and most important: Can cope with high-intensity UV-radiation. You don't need a quality like this for use with halogen or even (automotive-) HID, but it shure looks nice and expensive if you make a torch around it. And: Its a bargain, the +600 dollars original prizetag is not exaggerated!

I use one quite similar for Maxablaster (RPM-018), the 018 has a smaller center-hole.

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
This idea would please my needs if ac corded. I don't like the wobble light: too big, too heavy, too expensive. Halogens suck too much energy, create too much heat in a room, are a fire hazzard, and I end up poping in bulbs like candy over the course of a paint job. I wonder if you could create a small cheap hid that runs on ac, be easy to carry with a ton of other equipment, be durable. Probably a 90 degree reflector, so you could put in a room corner and illuminate 2 walls with maximum lux. Price and size are important, since on a small job, we would need 4 of them.

Latest posts