• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

DIY McLux Heads: Potential recall notice!!!!!

ExMB

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the assurances Don. I'm going to take a close look at the condition of the threads tonight to make sure they are OK, but the fit seemed good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Now I just have to get up the nerve to glue and solder... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to report, that even though I found that if you screw the bare metal parts together, you would have a little trouble with the threads gliding smoothly through, it wasn't something that a little Nye damping grease couldn't fix or smooth out.

So my order's good to go without any more retooling; just FYI...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

chiharu

Newly Enlightened
Don,

I may also correspond to this recall.
It became the same condition as ExMB.

I deleted the portion of the beginning of a screw thread with the file, and adjusted each other and did the screw thread by polishing powder.
Now, any problem cannot be found and a screw turns./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

Chiharu

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well dang if this isn't good and positive feed back here guys! Frankly, I prefer the idea of breaking in the parts together as you all have done but since Wayne isn't necessarily sending out complete kits, we can't approach this as a custom fit and initiate the break in for you.

What do you think, should we continue on without retapping the heads and just instruct on a lubricated break in? Retapping the remaining heads is a solution but it will result in removal of EN plating in the threads where it is unnecessary to do so.

How about this, just in from our marketing department:

"The latest McLux components have been machined in such a manner that the final fit has been left up to the customer and will result in a close tight tolerance fit specific and unique to each coupling of parts. Such a tight fit us not available with off the shelf production components..."

(PeeWee Herman voice in the background: "We meant to do that!")

How's that for a "spin"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Should Wayne and I get together for a happy tapping party or should we let it go as is?

- Don

PS. We don't have a marketing department and we aren't even a company; just play one on TV.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Chiharu,

Welcome to CPF! And thanks for posting your comments!

You guys are all great! The McLux program ended up taking an incredible amount of time in communications as well as unexpected costs to the tune that we may or may not break even on total expenses. Would we do it again? Highly unlikely. However, with the favorable response we have seen here on CPF as well as the fun and interactions, there have been some priceless rewards!

Certainly for myself and I believe I can speak for the other Skunks; THANK YOU!

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say, offer it for those who feel they may need it, and for the slightly adventurous, they can retool theirs themselves, or follow suggestions as posted here...

Best of both worlds...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this mean that no more DIY kits will be available?
I had all the parts for one in my shopping basket when the server went down...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Choua,

We will need to make a decision as to go or not go with the remaining heads that Wayne has and then deal with those who want to have their already purchased heads swapped out. The best of both worlds really isn't that if somebody gets a DIY set that they can't or don't want to final fit. sending parts back to be re tapped on a on going and onsie twosie basis will bog everybody down unfortunately.

kakster,

until this is resolved, I don't believe Wayne or Cindy will be sending out McLux DIY heads.

Stay tuned and feel free to comment.....

Thanks,
Don

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don...

Now that I`ve decided to embark upon a career as a modder, I just wanted to let you know that I`ve also decided to become a machinist.

It should be a good combination, and from what I hear, machining and fabricating your own flashlight parts is a pretty easy thing to do.

Boy...I can hardly wait to get started! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Now, Don...what is this thing that they call a "lathe"? And, if I have any problems, is it OK if I call you once in a while for some help and advice on running this "lathe" thing?

Don...thanks, as usual, for your fine help!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Don - I received my order from the Samich shop a short time before the bomb went off and I ended up with one of the suspect units. After reading the instructions, I worked in the threads by several on off cycles with lubrication and found that it is still somewhat tight but I am not to worked up over it. I am currently running an ARC LS head on a 1 X 123 McLux using the spacer I recieved from you from another project. This combo fit is great until I get the other parts put together.

Tomas

Banned
Don, I'm not one of the potentially affected, but if the "interference fit" problem is so slight that a bit of lube, working the threads, clean and relube fixes the "problem" then I personally wouldn't see it as a problem. I've had to do that sort of thing with other products (including an Arc AAA, and a couple of S&W gewgaws that needed a good deal of slide and feed ramp "fitting" before working perfectly).

I liked the proposed web page "spin" on the fitting of the parts, and would be quite happy with it myself.

I hate to see you guys have to go in the hole to polish some threads ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

tomsig03.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
I hate to see you guys have to go in the hole to polish some threads ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh... thanks for the nice words, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Carpe - you GO, boy. I, myself, have found that machinging takes no skill or training. You just need the right tool. As far as I know, you just "chuck" something in the "lathe" and turn it on. I'm still not clear on how you make all those metal shavings though. After enough questions are asked here, I'm sure Don will post is phone number...

D-LIGHT

Newly Enlightened
OK,now I'm confused. Before the computer carnage, I ordered two heads and two 2x123 powertails from the new site. They all work well together and with my Surefire, ARC and UBH, so I'm a happy camper. However, I intended to order a 1x123 powertail. Does this mean it won't fit my heads, or do I just need to order and find out?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, you guys are way too nice. I'm going to suggest we let it ride. There may be a few instances where an exchange may be needed, but, we can handle that on a case by case situation.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Yeah guys,

I'm in for the ride too. Wayne and I have some other stuff in the fire right now so it's great that you guys don't seem to need our intervention on this. As he has stated, it seems that most of these units are getting aquainted without our intervention and you are getting fits like a glove.

D-Light,

I would expect that you will find that the 1x123 is not real willing to go into the McLux heads without some lube and thread forming via elbow grease. If this were part of the never ending story, I think some numb skull would bring out some connection to the virgins mentioned therin.

Carpe,

If you understand Darell, don't waste your talents on flashlight modding, you are needed for a higher calling....

OTOH, if you don't understand him, we can talk about your lathe......

- Don

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Wayne- Are you still lurking out there? this is slightly OT but with my shipment, heads, bodies, Wow! this is starting to sound like a morticians nightmare, I also received a defective BB500. What works best for you? send it in with for exchange or? It has phycical damage, ferrite is missing a chunk.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Those considering lapping the parts together might consider using Semichrome polish or Wenol. Has saved my butt on a couple occasions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Larry

paulr

Flashaholic
Geez, sorry to hear about these fit problems, but big kudos to Don and Wayne for handling it so well.

I have a TK with no fit problems as far as I know. I'm thinking of getting a second head for it, to put in a 5 watt LED (yes, with the 1x123 tail and a BB400, so it will supposedly run at around 2.5 watts--that seems like something that just has to be tried). Would it be asking for trouble in trying to interchange the two heads? What if I manage to get a second power tail later?

Tomas

Banned
(Don, RE the reference to the never ending story, I'd never heard it called "thread forming" before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif )

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Semichrome is without a doubt the better product. I have used both for a wide variety of projects, and Semichrome is just the best! it is even the best for plastic polishing, watch crystals, flashlight optics, stainless anything shiney etc. Costs more, but what doesn't that does a better job?

Latest posts