DIY Smaller than Larry Light CR2: A 14250 light measures 49.5x16.5mm

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys. I've been thinking why the clone has similar beam to the original with such different led & lens. I think both lens are TIR, the center of TIR is aspherical, usually project a squre image which is larger in small lens & is the corona in this case.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I am a big fan of do it yourself mods and hand tools as I very much like to tinker with my lights in the same way. This looks like a nicely done mod and I am curious how you attached the bottom of the tube after you cut it down. Did you somehow add threads or simply find a way to press fit the sections together?

I would like to attempt this mod however have no way of cutting my own threads.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a big fan of do it yourself mods and hand tools as I very much like to tinker with my lights in the same way. This looks like a nicely done mod and I am curious how you attached the bottom of the tube after you cut it down. Did you somehow add threads or simply find a way to press fit the sections together?

I would like to attempt this mod however have no way of cutting my own threads.

No room to add threads, some filling, press fit with a drop of super glue to make it perminant. There's a brass core in the center of the bottom piece, I filed it down too to make it as short as possible. Larry obviously tried to make his light as short as possible, so I could not spare any free space what's so ever in order to beat his record.

Just to make sure only apply glue to part of the tube, because it's not conductive, if it spread around completely, it'll cut off the electrical conductivity.

Another thing to mention is that larry made a comment long time ago that his light has Key ring attachment, otherwise could be even shorter.

I didn't want to cheat, so my clone retains two holes at bottom to allow small split ring for key chain attchment. Otherwise, I can trim it off another 2-3 mm from the bottom for a pocket carry version.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)Here is one last thing I did, I transplanted a clip onto this light,
looks like it belong there

img3729w.jpg

TheInvader

Newly Enlightened
Professional and excellent job, as always ma! I love your lights, this is my favorite.

How much? :p
I'd love to have one, but in a DD 10440 for the runtime with the hungry XPG. That would beat my LD01 by a hundred or so lumens.

balou

Enlightened
Re: DIY Attempt smaller than Larry Light CR2

Thanks, greenLED,

4 hours of work for a gain of 4mm, at 1mm per hour, slower than snail :eek:

At least you did something in the real world. Ever worked 4 hours to gain 4 bytes? Yeah, about as ridiculous as it sounds :whistle:

But a sport is a sport, even if it's a crazy one which doesn't involve anything real...

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Professional and excellent job, as always ma! I love your lights, this is my favorite.

How much? :p
I'd love to have one, but in a DD 10440 for the runtime with the hungry XPG. That would beat my LD01 by a hundred or so lumens.

This one isn't for sale. But I have another one same size, actually slightly smaller that Runs on 10180 with Nichia led if you interested.

mash.m

Enlightened
hi,

very ice mod! one question: how did you reassamble the tailcab end?!?

thanks, markus

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I open up the the tube & file down the tail end. Then, press fit together followed by superglue.

Bender

Newly Enlightened
ma sha1 I have officially caught the bug :sick: I have a Tank E07 and have 3 more on the way to play with. I found a high bin version of the Golden Dragon Plus to replace the original Golden Dragon. The specs say this emitter is 123lm at 350ma. If shipping from cutter werent so high I would consider going with the XP-G R5. I think the Osram emitter will have more throw anyway. I don't think I'll beat your sub 50mm length but it will be close.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...tualkey62510000virtualkey720-LUWW5AMKZLY6P7RZ

mash.m

Enlightened
hi,

i also build such a short flashlight with the tank007. but i used a R5 with a dome lens from a broken sst-90. this gives a realy nice spill - just that what i want.
the light is 47,5mm long, cause the aspherical setup save much space in lenght. if someone would like to see some pictures from the head/setup, i can take some.

markus

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi,

i also build such a short flashlight with the tank007. but i used a R5 with a dome lens from a broken sst-90. this gives a realy nice spill - just that what i want. the light is 47,5mm long, cause the aspherical setup save much space in lenght. if someone would like to see some pictures from the head/setup, i can take some.

markus

I'd love to see some photos. My light also used XPG R5, maybe it wasn't clear but you can see the 10mm Square base XPG photo in one of the pictures. I used the Golden Dragon optics after testing a few & found one that works well, as I wanted to "clone" the use of Optics as well as the beam profile of Larry light, only brighter. I'd imagine the small aspehical lens need to sit very close to allow you to make the light 2mm shorter, but you'll lose the throw, which will alter my intention of making a true "clone".

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good "bug", inexpensive & fun :thumbsup:. If you have more to be built,
I'd suggest getting the Dimond Dragon instead:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...Y-5P7R/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMseW29Lyw3%2bqYq79LsOadY9

It can handle Direct Drive with 14250 & will out-throw XPG R5 for sure,
it's the same size/shape as Golden Dragon, so it'll be a simple replacement.
My estimation of 14250 DD will pump 1.2-1.5 Amp & give you close to 300 lumens at turn on.
(Stock Golden Dragon can't handle 14250 DD, :poof:within seconds, I think GD plus won't be able to handle 14250 DD either.

ma sha1 I have officially caught the bug :sick: I have a Tank E07 and have 3 more on the way to play with. I found a high bin version of the Golden Dragon Plus to replace the original Golden Dragon. The specs say this emitter is 123lm at 350ma. If shipping from cutter werent so high I would consider going with the XP-G R5. I think the Osram emitter will have more throw anyway. I don't think I'll beat your sub 50mm length but it will be close.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...tualkey62510000virtualkey720-LUWW5AMKZLY6P7RZ

Last edited:

Bender

Newly Enlightened
I already have a few GDP on the way. I was not planning on going direct drive due to short runtimes. Now that you mention 300ish lumens in a sub 50mm light that may change. If I do shorten an E07, running direct drive may be inevitable due to the 14250. I can always do some destructive testing on the old GD before the GDP emitter goes in.

mash.m pictures would be awesome. If you are using an aspheric lens you could try some flood to throw design.