Do fireworks create mini EMPs?

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fired up the detector tonight. I live a few miles away from a ballpark. I heard them shooting off fireworks today, and I caught a "lightning" detection that said it was 10 miles away. Given that the detector looks at amplitude of the strike, this might correlate. I wonder if this device is also acting as a home run detector. :laughing:

Maybe the crack of the bat against the baseball is the same as the aforementioned mechanical variant of pulsed power in the bull whip? :)

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarryN, I have a suggestion that may help your DSL/WiFi problem. I had similar issues with losing my wifi signal from a DSL modem/router but in my case it was caused by cordless phones and sometimes from the use of a microwave oven in the house. Many cordless phones transmit their signals in a narrow radio frequency range around 2.4 GHz as do WiFi routers. Your problem with "power glitches" may be simply from your Smart Meter transmitting data intermittently throughout the day as they too often use the 2.4 Ghz range to do that. When you have too many devices close to each other using the 2.4 Ghz bands, you can potentially have problems. The 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi signal range is divided into a number of smaller bands or channels, similar to television channels. In the United States there are 11 of them. Every brand of wireless router is a little different but if you go into the firmware on your unit using a web browser (try entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser address bar to access your firmware) you can simply change the channel your wifi set-up is working on. The new channel you chose will hopefully be farther away from the problem signals. In my case, it took a little trial and error but it cured the drop-outs and gave me a much hotter signal as well.

Thanks for that advice on the WiFi channels.

The Smart Meter actually was causing an electrical glitch in the incoming power line, sufficient to cause the DSL MODEM (not the router) to do a full re - start. As far as I can tell, the UPS solved that particular problem.

Since then I have switched to a faster connection, although not necessarily better as the lag / latency is higher. It reminds me of turbo lag.