Do I Really Need Something Other Than My Surefires???

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the Surefire E1Backup. It may not be the brightest 1 cell light, but its pretty bright for a one cell light. It's claim of 80 lumens is output from the front not from the emitter, so emitter wise it might be 100+ lumens. And it's the sturdiest too, the built is quite exceptional.
Good recommendation. It is also easier on the pocket (literally not financially):). Surefire is always conservative in their lumen ratings. Also their beam quality is second to none (in terms of light distribution spot to spill). That being said I don't own an E1B but it is on my list of must haves (its E1, E2, and Lx siblings are lonely:candle:).

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
im still sticking with the P1D-CE Q5 suggestion. To me its the ultimate backup, its a twistie, so the switch cant fail, and i dont know about anyone else, but i would want SOS on my SHTF desert island moment...

I have the C2 malkoff combi too, its in front of me right now actually..:)

by the way, this guy doesnt need more surefire suggestions, im pretty sure is aware that surefire is a good brand, he is asking if he should try anything else.Who wouldnt want to own every single surefire anyway...lol

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Hey! Don't judge Surefire soley on the G2!

I certainly know that the higher end Surefire's are super-nice, but the G2 was the right choice for my needs. Even if the beam is not as bright as my Fenix lights, the quality of the beam is outstanding and the best I have, plus I can fool around with drop-ins (DX R2 is on the way) and have a light that will work no matter what or it will be replaced for free. I know that this won't be my last Surefire.

If only they would make a light that uses AA batteries. I've worked hard to collect field gear that all uses the same type of battery so that I will never be left without power for whatever critical instrument I need at the moment.

As an example, I have a rather rare and special 4x4 vehicle (Land Rover Defender 90). Like a SureFire, it is functionally superior in nearly every way to a comparable Jeep Wrangler (no offense to my Jeep loving friends). . . . until it breaks down in the backcountry. If I had the Jeep, I could go to the nearest small town and find parts and a mechanic to fix it. But my fancy truck requires a mechanic who knows the vehicle and expensive parts that might need to be shipped over from Great Britain.

So if Surefire ever lowered their standards to make an AA powered light to match the performance of the Chinese AA powered lights, I'd be their best customer.

So when it comes to Surefire vs. Fenix, I like them both and have good reasons for choosing one or the other for my needs. I''ll use my Fenix lights for every day field work and carry my Surefire as a light whose batteries won't go dead on me and will work when all else fails. . . until I run out or CR123 batteries, LOL.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all, I've been on a light kick lately and just can't get enough. Most recent was the M60's for my C2/C3 and a Photon Freedom and I have 50 fauxton's on the way from DX.

Anyway, I want more for some reason and don't know why or what. Check my signature and tell me if I really need to pickup anything else. I've been spending a lot of time on fenix-store.com lately and am wondering if any of their offerings will do something different or better than what I have.

I do think I'm going to pickup a LODQ4 just to throw in my watch pocket in my jeans but am I really good with what I have or no???

You're obviously pretty well-off or self-sufficient if you can afford a strict diet of Surefires only. For the price of a couple of lamp assys, its worth checking out one of 'em chinese lights like the Fenix. If you don't like it, it should sell fairly easily in the B/S/T for a few dollars less (treat it as a trying fee).

If you find you like it, you may find yourself hawking some of your SFs which can in turn buy lots more chinese lights :D

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
im still sticking with the P1D-CE Q5 suggestion. To me its the ultimate backup, its a twistie, so the switch cant fail, and i dont know about anyone else, but i would want SOS on my SHTF desert island moment...

by the way, this guy doesnt need more surefire suggestions, im pretty sure is aware that surefire is a good brand, he is asking if he should try anything else.Who wouldnt want to own every single surefire anyway...lol

Crenshaw

Ofcourse you do crenshaw ofcourse you do.

You mentioned earlier with you post that you hope this won't go to fenix versus Surefire thread, but your awlays the one starting it. Just look at your post above. You are very good at snide remarks, such as this:

"...ts a twistie, so the switch cant fail..."
"... by the way, this guy doesnt need more surefire suggestions..."

You always have to mention that you like Surefires too:

"... I have the C2 malkoff combi too, its in front of me right now actually.."

So that you can say your opinion is not biased, but I'm very much aware of your your inner agenda. Your a great artist in soft trolling.

Did the OP specifically said he doesn't need any Surefire suggestion, no. He wants other's opinion whether it's surefire or other brands. :shakehead

Last edited:

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
Need? Need? Nah, you don't "need" other lights. Want is a whole new animal. Throw in a Fenix TK10, maybe a P3D for the versatility.. Nitecore for AA action, get the new surefire offerings when they come out. E1B just for kicks (BTW... I've EDC mine since I got it... replacing the nitecore and rexlight mind you and NO REGRETS!).

:paypal: for them all!

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Need? Need? Nah, you don't "need" other lights. Want is a whole new animal. Throw in a Fenix TK10, maybe a P3D for the versatility.. Nitecore for AA action, get the new surefire offerings when they come out. E1B just for kicks (BTW... I've EDC mine since I got it... replacing the nitecore and rexlight mind you and NO REGRETS!).

:paypal: for them all!

LOL :crackup:I have to agree wiht you there, mate! WANT is the right word to use!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
umc... Nice SF collection. I think you are missing a few nice lights though. I would want a nice watterproof AA plastic light. Also (and I do not have one yet) a Zebralight AA Q5 lantern. The glo-tube lights look pretty cool, and maybe a multi led light.... I would look at some lights that are nothing like the lights you have... just fun usable drop on the pavement is no big deal kind of lights. Just to round out your collection.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not think Fenix until I completed the collection with an M4, an M6 and a TurboHead for the M3 :) .

umc

Enlightened
I'm just getting caught up in this thread this morning to I'm going to have a few posts here quoting others. I love all of the comments and help so far so keep it coming and I'm for sure going to pick up a LOD and H30 (zebralight) and something else, I like the Q5 L1D/L2D and the Q5 P1D/P2D. Something about the Fenix lights I'm liking not to mention the good rep they have here. I'm sure whichever I pick of those I will probably get the rest as well and go from there. :D

I would not think Fenix until I completed the collection with an M4, an M6 and a TurboHead for the M3 :) .

I hear ya on the M6 as I've been kicking around that idea for quite some time and for the M3, a turbohead would be nice. I can't remember the last time I used the M3 as I have others that out perform it and have did a little searching here to see if anyone made a kick butt drop in for it but haven't found it yet. Same thing with the M4, if I were to pickup a M6, I wouldn't have much use for the M4. I do agree for the most part though but need a break from Surfire and am just taking a look around a bit. :)

umc

Enlightened
umc... Nice SF collection. I think you are missing a few nice lights though. I would want a nice watterproof AA plastic light. Also (and I do not have one yet) a Zebralight AA Q5 lantern. The glo-tube lights look pretty cool, and maybe a multi led light.... I would look at some lights that are nothing like the lights you have... just fun usable drop on the pavement is no big deal kind of lights. Just to round out your collection.

Thanks.

I do have some other lights mostly Maglites (from back when I didn't know anything) as well as a some others but didn't figure they were worth mentioning in the "sig list"

umc

Enlightened
You're obviously pretty well-off or self-sufficient if you can afford a strict diet of Surefires only. For the price of a couple of lamp assys, its worth checking out one of 'em chinese lights like the Fenix. If you don't like it, it should sell fairly easily in the B/S/T for a few dollars less (treat it as a trying fee).

If you find you like it, you may find yourself hawking some of your SFs which can in turn buy lots more chinese lights :D

Not necessarily "pretty well off" just been picking them up here and there for the past 3-4 years, heck my 3 year birthday to this site is coming up. :)

I agree with your last sentence though and am somewhat scared that once I try something other than my Surefires I'll be getting rid of some of the ones I don't use.....

umc

Enlightened

Crenshaw

I'm looking hard at that P1D and like my earlier post I'm sure I'll end up picking up the P1D/P2D and L1D/L2D if I like the first round here. I've never even seen a Fenix in person let alone hold and play with one who knows how this first purchase will go. Is shipping pretty quick from the Fenix-Store?

Also, as to the last sentence, that's pretty darn accurate, I have my quota of Surefires for now and am looking for something break the stretch of them, well until the new U-series come out anyway. I'm partly concerned that I've been drinking the Surefire Kool-aid for too long and just want to make sure that I'm not missing out on other lights.

umc

Enlightened
Which Surefire you´ll gonna use if you have only AA or AAA cells ?

I love my SF L1, but I think it´s too big to EDC on my jeans pocket.
Fenix P1D or Lumapower IncenDio (both uses 1x CR123 cell) are the perfect EDC, because of it´s sizes, in my opinion.

Uhhhhh, well none of them but I have acquired quite a few CR123A's over the years as I pick up more batteries than I use plus with a 10 year shelf life I should be in good shape for a while. I do like the idea of a few AA/AAA lights for just this reason though and am looking to go that round with the LOD and possibly a L1D or L2D.

As far as being too big for EDC, I am somewhat fortunate there as my EDC pants are Carhartt painter type pants and I have a specific "flashlight pocket" on the left leg that I use. I could get my C3 in there without issue. That being said, like everything with these lights it is a trade off between power/size, throw/spill, etc, I do like something a little smaller. Give me a C2 with a Malkoff M60 in the size of the E2D and I would be sold for EDC.

Speaking of EDC, what I'm looking for now isn't necessarily for EDC but would end up that way.

Ok, I think I'm done posting for a bit and need to get to work. I'll check in later.

Again, thanks all and keep the comments and suggestions coming.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I do think I'm going to pickup a LODQ4
For that purpose, take a look at the Muyshondt Nautilus ... in stock at BrightGuy . com

I love my SF L1, but I think it´s too big to EDC on my jeans pocket.
+1

Both the E1L or the NovaTac 120P are a nice, small size, much shorter than the L1.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you are missing the SureFire M4 Devastator, the L6 Porcupine, M6 Guardian, X300, 10X Dominator, The Beast and the Hellfighter!

And you call yourself a SureFire collector??:mad:

ugrey

Enlightened
Everybody needs a Fenix LOD on their keychain and a P2D in their pocket. Also a SF M6 is the ultimate "bump in the night" light.

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
All Gods children need Photons , and ARC AAA-Ps ! A good penlight is very valuable for the tradesman types , I would recommend the Streamlite Stylus Pro , and the Pelican L4 .

These items round out and back up your Surefire inventory .

Chris

Latest posts