Do I Really Need Something Other Than My Surefires???

Fird

Enlightened
fenix is a great manufacturor to try out outside of surefire..:)

Crenshaw

Dereelight is better :twothumbs, just kidding, both fulfill separate purposes. deree=throw, in either of their lights. Check them out!

-edit- oh, and Dereelight is kind enough to ship their CL1H with a spare switch right there with the light, they know that switches don't last forever in any light, nor do they expect them to.

Fird

Last edited:

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Dereelight and Wolf-Eyes are a lot closer to SureFire in quality and purpose than Fenix.

I have to agree on this. I haven't had a Dereelight yet, but I did have a Wolfeyes. The built quality is almost similar to SF. And the very good thing about the three, Surefire, Dereelight, and Wolf-eyes, is that they accept P60 drop-ins so it's upgradeable and interchangeable. Unlike other brands, you don't have to buy the whole light once new emitters come out, all you have to do is get a new drop in. Plus, you can switch incans to LEDs in an instant.

txmatt

Enlightened
Ofcourse you do crenshaw ofcourse you do.

You mentioned earlier with you post that you hope this won't go to fenix versus Surefire thread, but your awlays the one starting it. Just look at your post above. You are very good at snide remarks, such as this:

"...ts a twistie, so the switch cant fail..."
"... by the way, this guy doesnt need more surefire suggestions..."

You always have to mention that you like Surefires too:

"... I have the C2 malkoff combi too, its in front of me right now actually.."

So that you can say your opinion is not biased, but I'm very much aware of your your inner agenda. Your a great artist in soft trolling.

Did the OP specifically said he doesn't need any Surefire suggestion, no. He wants other's opinion whether it's surefire or other brands. :shakehead

Methinks someone is a little sensitive.

Possible switch failure in no way singles out SF. Fenix switches have failed and sometimes loosen up as well. Switch failures have been problems in lights from various makers. The twistie reliability could just as easily justify the Fenix P1D instead of the P2D as it could Fenix over a SF light.

I read the subject line and post exactly as Crenshaw did, asking for input on lights other than Surefires. He pretty much has the SF bases covered.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't mention a single light by name in the interest of preserving the peace;) In fact I mostly am going to ask you more questions back.

You ask if you need something else. The key question to ask yourself based on what you use your lights for - Are there times where your lights either don't meet your needs, or are marginal at what you really need? Some questions based on things that would occur to me, if I had your collection, given MY needs.

Would a headlamp be useful for you? Do you find yourself frequently playing bite the light, or "where can I clip this"? Do you find yourself wearing a hat JUST so you can clip a light to it if needed?

Is a fauxton adequate for what you use a keychain light for? Would a better performing AAA/small 1x123 light on your keychain be more useful? Or would it just be bigger and more awkward?

Do you find yourself worrying about/pampering your expensive lights? Would a cheaper, durable enough, light buy you some piece of mind for those hard use times? Do you ever find yourself having to stop from using your Surefire as a "dynamic impact" tool?

Do you stockpile enough batteries for emergencies? Would a light that operates adequately on alkalines be useful in your emergency plans?

And let's not forget the perceived need of a flashaholic to consume lights. Even if you meet all of your useful needs, do you still want to play with more lights? Do you want to keep getting new lights to play with? Do more cheap lights to play with, versus the occasional high quality one as a tool sound fun? Does the idea of modding sound good to you?

Night collection by the way. :thumbsup:

umc

Enlightened
I won't mention a single light by name in the interest of preserving the peace;) In fact I mostly am going to ask you more questions back.

You ask if you need something else. The key question to ask yourself based on what you use your lights for - Are there times where your lights either don't meet your needs, or are marginal at what you really need? Some questions based on things that would occur to me, if I had your collection, given MY needs.

I would say they meet my needs for the most part, my EDC (C2 w/Malkoff M60) is what I use the most even though it can be a bit much at times and hence the reason for carrying the photon freedom and wanting a LOD as well.

Would a headlamp be useful for you? Do you find yourself frequently playing bite the light, or "where can I clip this"? Do you find yourself wearing a hat JUST so you can clip a light to it if needed?

I have a Princeton tec Aurora (sp?) if I need a head lamp and I don't use that much. On top of that I have a "cat eyes" light deal that clips to a hat as well as my E series lights that I can use. I don't have the need for a head lamp all that much so where I'm at there suits my needs for the most part I would say. I will be picking up that H30 Zebralight though but probably won't use the headband, I have other things in mind for that. :)

Is a fauxton adequate for what you use a keychain light for? Would a better performing AAA/small 1x123 light on your keychain be more useful? Or would it just be bigger and more awkward?

My Freedom is adequate for a keychain light and as mentioned I'm looking at the LOD to have something in between the Freedom and the C2 but it won't be going on my keychain yet in my "watch pocket" in my jeans. I carry a ton of stuff with me everyday and like it so adding a bit here and there isn't a big deal. I've been carrying a Solitaire in that pocket just to get an idea of comfort and I don't even notice it so the LOD should be good to go.

Do you find yourself worrying about/pampering your expensive lights? Would a cheaper, durable enough, light buy you some piece of mind for those hard use times? Do you ever find yourself having to stop from using your Surefire as a "dynamic impact" tool?

Yes, I worry about them to an extent but have the piece of mind that if I have any issues Surefire will take care of me so Customer service is important as I've learned recently in calling Surefire and having them take care of my on minor issues. However some of those lights are just sitting around and I don't like the idea of stashing them in places like the garage or giving one to my wife as she just doesn't get it and probably wouldn't care if she lost one, me, I would cry.

Do you stockpile enough batteries for emergencies? Would a light that operates adequately on alkalines be useful in your emergency plans?

I do have a fair collection of batteries, not to mention all of the batteries in the lights. :) The one thing I like the fact that all of my lights (Surefires anyway) are universal when it comes to batteries. That being said, I do like the idea of something that can use your standard off the shelf at any store, gas station, you name it AA/AAA.

And let's not forget the perceived need of a flashaholic to consume lights. Even if you meet all of your useful needs, do you still want to play with more lights? Do you want to keep getting new lights to play with? Do more cheap lights to play with, versus the occasional high quality one as a tool sound fun? Does the idea of modding sound good to you?

Yes, Yes, Yes, not really unless it's the easy kind like the M60 drop in and changing out a tailcap. I don't want to solder and get into the major math of it all.

Night collection by the way. :thumbsup:

Did you say "Night" collection? ;)

Thanks

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do I Really Need Something Other Than My Surefire's???

The E1B is very close to being the brightest single cell flashlight I own.
The TIR Optic concentrates all the available light into an excellent tight beam. It is Surefire's brightest single cell flashlight that I know of.
Surefire claims 80 lumens. The E1B does every bit of that. and It does it for the life of the cell. VERY GOOD. It makes a great little secondary or even a nice primary flashlight.
Yaesumofo

Try the Surefire E1Backup. It may not be the brightest 1 cell light, but its pretty bright for a one cell light. It's claim of 80 lumens is output from the front not from the emitter, so emitter wise it might be 100+ lumens. And it's the sturdiest too, the built is quite exceptional.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

I think want is a more appropriate word then need.

I say you need a HID, a LED thrower, a Draco, a McGizmo, a.....

The list goes on.

You can always try out different lights. If you don't like them, either sell them here if it's a well known light or something people would want for close(or over) to the original price, or use it as a backup/loaner, or give it as a gift.

umc

Enlightened

I think want is a more appropriate word then need.

I say you need a HID, a LED thrower, a Draco, a McGizmo, a.....

The list goes on.

You can always try out different lights. If you don't like them, either sell them here if it's a well known light or something people would want for close(or over) to the original price, or use it as a backup/loaner, or give it as a gift.

Anyway, I want more for some reason and don't know why or what. Check my signature and tell me if I really need to pickup anything else.

I started out using "want" but the second sentence just wouldn't sound right if I said; "check my signature and tell me if I really want to pickup anything else." ;):)

I like the idea of a HID but at some point down the road..

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised nobody mentions Pila. They are built like a tank, they take 18650 batteries which is very important and Pila also makes a top of the line recharger. They have very good engineering. Any P60 clone dropin will fit. I have the GL2 latest design. It has a great beam, the glass is high quality. I love mine.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you say "Night" collection? ;)

Thanks

Freudian light slip.:D I am not going back to edit it.

Sounds like you know the couple of needs you do have. Based on thinking about some lights you don't mind the wife trashing, and wanting regular fixes of lights to play with you might like bessiebenny's thread about budget lights https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2345570

I also really like the 3W Rayovac Extreme Sportsman I picked up at Walmart, till I sacrificed the head to the crawlspace gods when using it in candle mode. :oops:

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened
If you are up for some modding I think this is a must have light.
From deal extreme

Romisen RC-G2 (Turbo head style 1xaa FORWARD CLICKIE!)
sku 7880 (multimode driver that can be made single mode)
sku 2026 (bare ssc p4 emitter)

Unfortunately the large thread about this light and mods is down right now and the driver is out of stock:oops:. BUT, I highly recommend this light. It really reminds me of a little surefire because it is just so damn well built, hefty and has a great forward clickie. It is insanely bright for just a single aa light. Just my 2 cents:shrug:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Methinks someone is a little sensitive.

Possible switch failure in no way singles out SF. Fenix switches have failed and sometimes loosen up as well. Switch failures have been problems in lights from various makers. The twistie reliability could just as easily justify the Fenix P1D instead of the P2D as it could Fenix over a SF light.

I read the subject line and post exactly as Crenshaw did, asking for input on lights other than Surefires. He pretty much has the SF bases covered.

Thanks for quoting stitch_paradox, i wouldnt have been able to read his post otherwise. :) and yes, a twistie in general would be more reliable then most, if not all clickies regardless of brand. its the KISS theory. :twothumbs:

stitch has clearly forgotten that I have him on my ignore list. I'm gonna choose not to reply.

@UMC
you can also consider a Liteflux 2x from the thread in the dealer's forum at marketplace. Its on my next to buy list, cos of all the add ons.

Its got a attachment for a threaded hole (tripod mountable)
Its got a lanyard system that does not mearly encompass a split ring.
it will run safely on 10440s.

I wondering how bright it is on 10440s, unfortunately, overspeant this month already. :broke:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

umc

Enlightened
Freudian light slip.:D I am not going back to edit it.

Sounds like you know the couple of needs you do have. Based on thinking about some lights you don't mind the wife trashing, and wanting regular fixes of lights to play with you might like bessiebenny's thread about budget lights https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2345570

I also really like the 3W Rayovac Extreme Sportsman I picked up at Walmart, till I sacrificed the head to the crawlspace gods when using it in candle mode. :oops:

Holy Cow, there is a lot of info in that thread. I'll start digging in there soon.

Thanks.

greenstuffs

Banned
I can't believe someone with a bunch of Surefire and people suggesting lesser quality lights that are brighter however they run hotter than my toaster oven.

If you buy a bunch of surefire is because (i assume) you enjoy owning Made in USA stuff with higher quality and higher standards with a solid warranty.

You are probably ready to try some of the Custom lights such as McGizmo's, Mr Bulk or the Spy. Things that you will not find in any other overseas manufacturer. I have enjoyed every single Custom I have owned.

Lights like McGizmo's PD with its unique mechanical switching which is bombproof, Mr Bulk's unique designs and the intuitive UI makes another winner, The spy is another in my list. Mac makes very nice Mag Mods.

Since you are paying so much for your surefires i assume they are some sort of investment since you can sell them with minimun loss. The custom lights are the same and some may even appreciate in value due to their rarity.

I again assume you want innovation and not sheer output otherwise you'd be settled by the new DX SSC P7 light with 900 lumens. The only innovation you will find from the import lights are that they have the latest flux beam but everything else remains the same.

If you were to try other manufacturers try HDS, Novatac, Pentagon Lights.

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't be afraid of selling off lights you have if they become no longer used. Unless of course they are of sentimental value or are rare for some reason. There are so many good manufacturers out there right now that it's challenging for us to make this call for you. Go ahead and pick up the L0D, as it seems you have a use for that. After that, keep browsing these forums until you see something you like. I'd say for now you've got your bases well covered.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe someone with a bunch of Surefire and people suggesting lesser quality lights that are brighter however they run hotter than my toaster oven.

If you buy a bunch of surefire is because (i assume) you enjoy owning Made in USA stuff with higher quality and higher standards with a solid warranty.

We could argue to death about some of those points, rather not :eek:

but the OP did ask if there were other brands he should try. So some of us feel that there are, so its not so hard to "believe" as you say.

and btw, have you owned any of these "lesser quality" lights? just wondering

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any Surefire model that use AA batteries ?

Last edited:

greenstuffs

Banned
We could argue to death about some of those points, rather not :eek:

You really have not much point in argue, rather than the fact that lesser quality lights sell at a lower price. Can't compete in quality then compete in price.

but the OP did ask if there were other brands he should try. So some of us feel that there are, so its not so hard to "believe" as you say.

These are your assumptions which has nothing wth other peole's opinion, "some of us" seems like only you promoting a light from a specific dealer turning this thread into a marketplace. I don't think we need a PR from Fenix-Store LLC to promote the fenix lights, they are great lights and will sell them by themselves with no problem.

and btw, have you owned any of these "lesser quality" lights? just wondering
Crenshaw

Yes I have owned several lights from the entry market.

Federal LG said:
Is there any Surefire model that use AA batteries ?
I think you already know the answer, unless you want to start a flame fest there is nothing much to comment about the above statement. You started a Fenix thread, and you request the mods to close it, is that your ultimate goal in this thread again?

Last edited: