Do you find that local retail flashlights just suck?

Do you find local retail flashlights suck?

• Yes - They all suck like a toothless monkey on a frozen banana.

Votes: 36 34.0%
  • SOME of the lights I like and would consider.

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • I don't care much at all for any of them.

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • A true flashaholic respects all flashlights....let's get him!

Votes: 13 12.3%

• Total voters

tron3

Banned
Excellent points Tech, but you have realize how retail thinks. A consumer wants to buy something and have it last 20 -30 years, if not the rest of their natural life. (The way it was in the past when repairing was still a big business.) Today, they tell you to throw it away and buy a new one. Why buy a bulb? throw it away and buy a new one. They couldn't care less about landfill, because it is not their problem. Their mindset is focused on selling this crap to make money. What happens after that is not their concern.

Going to take a while for consumers to be educated on flashlights. Until then, the majority of people think LED is some new complicated crap and all they want is something that lights up. The martket is divided, and not everyone is willing to spend 50 bucks on a flashlight even if it does last the rest of their life and can be passed down for generations. "It's just a flashlight."

Last edited:

BobbyRS

Enlightened
Most do suck. Some others are ok. Some like Target, Sears, and ****'s carry ones I would consider buying. Batteries Plus is a good place to find some Streamlights on a retail shelf, but beware of the prices.

hquan

Enlightened
I must confess that I just bought 2 of the flourescent Energizer lanterns from the Home Depot the other day and they work great! Thanks to other cpf'ers for recommending them!

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
The first two "nice lights" I got at a local store were a Streamlight Jr. Luxeon and Streamlight Twin Task 2L. I bought them at the same time. The last light I bought at a local store, a few weeks ago was a Surefire A2 HA-YG. Im pretty happy with the local stores.

That said, I think that the lights available in grocery stores, Home Depot and the like serve a very useful purpose and have on occassion served me well.