Do you prefer 'Normal' Clicky or Reverse Clicky?

Do you prefer 'Normal Clicky' or Reverse Clicky?

• Normal Clicky

Votes: 367 89.3%
  • Reverse Clicky

Votes: 44 10.7%

• Total voters

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Thank you for explaining the reverse and forward clicky! I never understood what the hell the difference was, but I gotta say I prefer the forward clicky to a reverse clicky because that momentary light can be pretty useful. Twisties are not my favorite, but the inova x03 is nice with its momentary switch. BTW, I'de get a 22 instead of a maglite...the cocking action alone would be enough to scare anybody the F out of the house!!

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean, the closest I ever get to "tactical" is when I go to open the
hay room door and want to be sure there isn't a skunk skulking along
the baseboards. So I put the L2D into turbo (max brightness right
away), open the door, and flip the light on.
You should shout "FREEZE!" as you burst through the doorway, too. :D

xiaowenzu

Banned
Not being an LEO, or other type of tactical user, I find the reverse
clickies to be just fine. When I turn a light on, I'm invariable
gonna be leaving it on for some period of a minute or more.
Yes, for some users, that's fine, but we flashoholics are picky people! :D After experiencing the fine pleasures of using forward clickies, I can NEVER bring myself to purchase reverse clickies again... simply because it just doesn't feel right. All the Chinese lights I know of, are reverse clickies, unfortunately... and I would consider buying them if they weren't. :shakehead

Thank you for explaining the reverse and forward clicky! I never understood what the hell the difference was, but I gotta say I prefer the forward clicky to a reverse clicky because that momentary light can be pretty useful.
Yep, that is just another one of the many advantages of a forward clickie.. you can use it for momentary light intuatively, and without having to 'click' the light fully. I can say this ensures a completely silent operation, which in some cases is very useful especially when you sleep next to a wife who will wake up at the slightest noise! :mecry:

P.s I'd buy the Novatac 120T - it's quality is value for money :)

Last edited:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Yes, for some users, that's fine, but we flashoholics are picky people! :D After experiencing the fine pleasures of using forward clickies, I can NEVER bring myself to purchase reverse clickies again... simply because it just doesn't feel right. All the Chinese lights I know of, are reverse clickies, unfortunately... and I would consider buying them if they weren't. :shakehead

Yep.. You're so anti-Fenix that you need a Cree in your lower so you can see your way around.

There ARE Tactical "Chinese" lights. What do you think the "T" stands for in some of the Fenix lights?

EDIT: I made a new smiley for you.

fenixbash.gif

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, that is just another one of the many advantages of a forward clickie.. you can use it for momentary light intuatively, and without having to 'click' the light fully. I can say this ensures a completely silent operation, which in some cases is very useful especially when you sleep next to a wife who will wake up at the slightest noise! :mecry:
So you wouldn't be able to do anything like get out of bed. Just look at things. :sigh:

xiaowenzu

Banned
There ARE Tactical "Chinese" lights. What do you think the "T" stands for in some of the Fenix lights?
Btw thanks, but I prefer an 'anti-reverse clickie' smiley! :D Well, there are "Tactical" Chinese lights but they aren't true forward clickies in the sense.. What I mean when I talk about forward clickies is that the light should stay on when fully pressed. With these tactical lights, it only provides momentary on - you usually have to TWIST the light for it to remain constant on.

A classic example of forward clickies is the Maglite and Surefire U2 - you can use it for tactical signalling also and further press, the light remains constant on.

So you wouldn't be able to do anything like get out of bed. Just look at things. :sigh:
Lol, well my wife wakes up earlier than me! :crackup:Seriously, though the "clicket-te-clack" sound of a reverse clicky flashlight is VERY loud at night... much louder and more annoying than the noise a soft blanket makes when you're getting out of bed. :thumbsup:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

You're first reference says the light comes with two tailcap switches, a forward and reverse clicky.

The second reference is by somebody who doesn't have the light, and is assuming.

Read this one.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2129737&postcount=7

xiaowenzu

Banned
You're first reference says the light comes with two tailcap switches, a forward and reverse clicky.
Yep, the L1T comes with a reverse clicky and a 'momentary' switch.. which functions like a Surefire M6, in that it doesn't stay on when fully depressed.

If it was a forward clicky, it would have said 'momentary forward clicky switch". Think of it this way - if the L1T came with a momentary-forward clicky that provides constant on, then why would it need a reverse clicky switch too? :nana:

According to your reference, the guy mentions "momentary switch is also a full clicky", which means that a reverse clicky can also be a 'full' clicky - it remains constant on when fully pressed, but is not a foward clickie. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Btw thanks, but I prefer an 'anti-reverse clickie' smiley! :D Well, there are "Tactical" Chinese lights but they aren't true forward clickies in the sense.. What I mean when I talk about forward clickies is that the light should stay on when fully pressed. With these tactical lights, it only provides momentary on - you usually have to TWIST the light for it to remain constant on.

That is not how they work.. Press for momentary, press further for a click and a constant on.

:dedhorse:
fenixbash.gif
<- Here's your special smiley again.

D-Dog

Enlightened
I like the tactical feel of a normal clicky more than the reverse, as I can get light right where and when I want it, plus most normal twist/clicks are silent.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
on your flashlights?

Okay for those who don't know... a normal Clickie switch, also known as 'Forward Clicky' operates like those on a Maglite - when you lighty press the button, the light is INSTANTLY activated. Press harder, it clicks and the light stays on. Great for signalling or short bursts of light.

With 'Reverse Clicky' you press the switch, but there's no light yet. You must press harder until it clicks AND THEN release the button - NOW there's light. ALL CHINESE LIGHTS ARE REVERSE CLICKY (Fenix, Lumapower, Jetbeam, lights from dealextreme, etc)

I must admit I've always been a fan of the 'normal clicky' mechanism since I purchased my first Maglite. It just feels so natural and intuitive to operate.

Also because I live alone today, and always place my Surefire U2 (a normal clickie) beside my bed when I sleep. Sometimes when I hear noises in my room at night- I'm always scared there are burglars... so I instantly activate my light - short stabs of momentary burst to shine into the eyes of my would-be attacker. And while he's dis-orientated, my left hand reaches for the MAG 6D and CLUB his head! :lolsign:

Now with a reverse clicky, I am unable to have instant light. It will certainly cost me the precious time to activate it and put my life in danger. This is why I only buy FORWARD CLICKYS. :D :D

P.s You can now understand why I HATE twisties even more! :lolsign:)

Sorry for arriving this post so late (and probably when somebody have made the same question) but what happens if you switch your light on and you discover a guy with a gun pointing at the light (you), you get nervous and.. click & voilá! Light is CONSTANT ON, saying your new friend where to shot. Of course you can press again, and go for CONSTANT OFF, but you have lost that precious time... That is one of the reasons clickies are not considered safe for tactical uses.

xiaowenzu

Banned
That is not how they work.. Press for momentary, press further for a click and a constant on.
Yes, that's how they work. The tactical switch provided by the Chinese lights functions just like a Surefire M6. That's why it's called a 'tactical light'... the switch does not click to constant on - otherwise, it makes too much noise, and will give away your position. The Chinese makers also give you a reverse clicky switch for constant on.
Oh, and I said I wanted a 'anti-reverse clicky' smiley! hehe :D

Barbarin said:
that is one of the reasons clickies are not considered safe for tactical uses.

That is true, if I had a choice I'd get the Surefire M3 for tactical use.. but if worse comes to worse, I'd rather have a forward clicky than reverse because you don't have to click the light to activate it - a slight press will do (think Maglites) :party:

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
Sorry for arriving this post so late (and probably when somebody have made the same question) but what happens if you switch your light on and you discover a guy with a gun pointing at the light (you), you get nervous and.. click & voilá! Light is CONSTANT ON, saying your new friend where to shot. Of course you can press again, and go for CONSTANT OFF, but you have lost that precious time... That is one of the reasons clickies are not considered safe for tactical uses.

Hi Barbarin! Sorry for the late reply, I've just came back from my Eurotrip! :) I admit you've hit on a very valid point. Clickies are definitely not safe for tactical uses, and reverse clickies are by far the worst. And.... I must agree, that even though I do prefer forward clickies I would NOT use them for tactical situations, eg on SWAT teams. I'd probably get something like a Surefire L5 for those situations. :D

Anyways, check out my new thread discussing the validities of different kinds of flashlights for tactical situations - the meaning of tactical as revelant to us Flashoholics:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/180189

MechanicalMan

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, I think that a few of the cheap DX lights do have forward clickies. I don't own them, but apparently the RC-G2s and VB-16s have forward clickies. They might not make good gifts for the Jack Bauer in your family, but nevertheless, they do seem to have forward clickies.

goodjob

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, I think that a few of the cheap DX lights do have forward clickies. I don't own them, but apparently the RC-G2s and VB-16s have forward clickies. They might not make good gifts for the Jack Bauer in your family, but nevertheless, they do seem to have forward clickies.

I own a DX VB-16 and can confirm that it has a (rather sensitive) forward clickie!

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet that 99% of actual tactical users doesnt ponder half as much about their clicky on their flashlights...

Albinoni

Banned
Ok interesting question here, would you say the Led Lenser Hokus Fokus is a forward clickie and not a reverse clickie, though the torch is made in China, but from a German company.

Also I assume here a reverse clickie torch cannot do short signals meaning press half way and the LED comes on to give short burst signals.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Albinoni. Nearly every LED Lenser I have come in contact with is a forward (normal) clicky. 99% sure that the Hokus Fokus is a forward clicky too. It is a very good light, made even better if a CPF member can put an SSC P4 emitter in there.

Mike