Does a lens protector slip on cap exist to fit a Orb RAW NS and RAW XR-E ?

MountainMan

Newly Enlightened
Could care less about scratches on the body but would like to protect the lens.

Have an Orb Raw NS and soon to have the new Alum Raw XR-E. Would like to carry them in the pocket with keys and etc. Don't care about scratches and marks on the body. I would like to avoid scratches, nicks, and etc., on the lens though.

Seems like a cap that would slip over the lens end of the light would work great. Maybe a little tab that with a string or something attaching the lens cap to the key ring holder at the tail, so the cap could hang free when the light is in use, would also work well so you don't have to worry about loss.

Haven't found such a lens cap that would work. In fact have never seen any light with one.

Last edited:

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
The only thing I've heard of is their screw together plastic protector for the whole light.

ORB lights do use scratch resistant glass, however, so scratching the lense shouldn't be an issue. I've never had issues scratching any glass lenes in my pockets--even with keys and everything. If a scratch did happen, you can buy a replacement inexpensively from ORB and I think flashlightlenses.com too.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lens caps for a few of my lights. I just keep my eyes open for anything that looks caplike. I can usually find a fit by going to the hardware store and looking through the cheap, lightweight chair and table 'leg tips.' The smallest useful size I've found was a perfect fit over the positive end of an AAA cell.

In the image linked below the largest light is a Tektite dive light with a lens cap made from the top of a small can of spray paint.

The center light is an EL XM3 with chair/cane tips at both ends -- to protect the UCL and keep it from being turned on at the tail switch accidentally in a toolbox.

The little one is a Nightcutter Sport with a chair leg tip over the head.

I usually drill a tiny hole in whatever I use for a cover so I can tell at a glance if the light is on when it's head is covered.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read this and thought I'd give it a go. No luck in the kitchen looking at the caps to bottles there but then I looked in the bathroom and struck gold. First I found a bottle of the wifes hand cream that fitted perfectly but then it got better. I found the top of one of those little 'travel' bottles that you buy empty and put shampoo in. Not only did it fit nice and tight but it also has a flip top lid. I cut it out so that it has a full diameter hole under the lid so now my NS has a 'tactical' top like the ones Surefire make for the M3, M6 etc... Only problem is that it doesn't have a make printed on the bottle. I think I picked it up in a camping shop years ago.

MountainMan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to keep a lookout for something that works. Just seems like a simple solultion - a rubber cap just a quarter inch deep or so would work great.

I know the Orb lens are suppose to be scatch resistant, but so are my glasses and they are scratched all over and not even in my pocket.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once bought some "Earfit" earplugs that came in a little round plastic case and the top made a perfect cap for my Surefire M3.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the Sports water drink caps come in a variety of sizes, I have one that fits on the Fenix L1T, another on the Minimag 2AA