Don Kellers last hurrah- the Brinkmann Legend

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Hmmm, hadn't considered a Malkoff'd MaxFire.
Thanx for the idea.

P60L.

Two guys in a lab:
Fellow 1 "Eureka! Look at how bright"
Fellow 2 "And thermal regulated"

Both raise glasses in toast. "Clink"
Both take swig.
In walks secretary...

Secretary "Ugh, the tint is awful" then leaves.
Fellow 1 "Great run time"
Fellow 2 "what do girls know about flashlights?"

Both raise glasses. "Clink" take swig.
Fellow 2 "it is pretty ugly"
Fellow 1 spews beverage everywhere in laughter,
"Yeah you're right".

Fellow 1 "look at how bright it is"
Fellow 2 "and thermal regulated"

Raise glasses
"Clink"

Boss comes walking in lab while the 2 drunken lab lab guys have disco music blasting and are using twisty tail caps to have P60L's flash it's cold blue/gray tint on/off the the beat...

Boss "Whutthuhell?!?!?"

Lab guys shout "better run time" "thermal regulated" as they offer the boss a cold beer.
Boss "and look at how bright it is".

Nah, seriously the P60L was a giant leap forward in LED technology still being used in various cases in 016.

LMBO! But as too the Malkoff, I'm not sure they'd fit.

As I remember, the P60L was a tight fit.

But I may need to find 1 of my old ones and try it

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
And now that I got one of the old Maxfire's out, it got me to remembering.

When I bought my first, at WalMart (maybe turn of the century?), as I remember, I thought "wow, they out G2'd, SF's G2, with this!"

Thus, I needed to buy more!

Of course, I thought they should have made one in yellow.

"Hello, my name is Rob, I have a problem with buying too many flashlights and I need help."

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. It aint bad at all. But yellow would've been awesome.

I may plasti-dip one yellow.

If you DO that, I SO want you to do that to mine! LMBO!

Yellow is one of my favorite flashlight colors, as they are much easier to find in low light situations!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'll give one a few coats and see how it holds up.
If the coating doesn't hold up or bond well...
It's plasti-dip so it peels off.

I have an old ugly Burgess as the 'trial' to get a feel for how to do it.

Back to fun-ing on the P60L.
These days folks rail against the tint. But it was put out at an early point in LED know how. It was actually quite a bit better than previous offerings. Both in brightness and tint. Anybody who remembers early LED lights will know what I mean.
The P60L was a marvelous achievement at that time.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll give one a few coats and see how it holds up.
If the coating doesn't hold up or bond well...
It's plasti-dip so it peels off.

I have an old ugly Burgess as the 'trial' to get a feel for how to do it.

Back to fun-ing on the P60L.
These days folks rail against the tint. But it was put out at an early point in LED know how. It was actually quite a bit better than previous offerings. Both in brightness and tint. Anybody who remembers early LED lights will know what I mean.
The P60L was a marvelous achievement at that time.

This one I'll disagree with you on.

If you search it (P60L) here, there was a lot of discussion about it and how it compared to the early Malkoff's.

I may have been involved in a few of those discussions :)D), and I did NOT have anything nice to say about the P60L's.

LOL

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gene Malkoff raised the bar for sure.

I enjoy going to his site and see-ing "sold out" and "only 3 left" on items there. Glad to see him succesful.

Yeah, when I stumbled onto a G2L earlier this year I did some reading here at CPF and it appeared to be about as popular as warts...or Mag Solitaires to a buncha members...lol.

Broken links to pix and comments about them removed. Just showed off a lanyard ring and a max fire vs G2L

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Legend 1aaa is a cute little number.
Brinkmann snuck in reverse threads on this one. So twist to turn on is opposite of a Maglite.
They also chose to drill an angular hole in the tailcap for a keyring vs leaving out a chunk.

Removable rubberized Brinkmann style sleeve, a battery and a keyring came with it.

The automaker Infinity logo is etched in the body of my sample.

It takes Brinkmann bi-pins but if worse were worse I suppose you could put up with the Mag bulb.

I gotta say it took a while to find one of these. But patience paid off. Very similar to a Solitaire in use with a very similar beam but the chosen thread pitch allows adjustment from spot to spill on about a single rotation where the Solitaire requires a few.

Broken links to pix removed.

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting but misplaced.somebody move this to incandescent flashlights.
its hidden otherwise to most readers.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Added a couple more after a friend asked if I'd seen the Legend 2C at eBay.

They are not Legends and were produced after Don Keller had left Brinkmann.
The 2 triple A and a 1triple A NexStar
The 1 triple A seemed to have potential to be much brighter than a Solitaire. It is. It's about the size of a half smoked cigar with a rubber grip. The clicky tail cap is reverse with signal ability once turned on. And true to Brinkmann form it's stiff. Finger tip action required.
What I liked most was when you find the beam you prefer it stays there like Legends and grip is like the Rebel series.
Cam-less design that has a thread pitch that allows a nice broad beam when fully tightened via backwards threads yet with about 1 rotation a nice tight spot is achieved.

A solitaire can be seen well at night, or in daytime the spot mode can be seen on a close up object in a normally lit room. The NexStar beam can be seen hitting the floor in a normally lit room from waste high. Perhaps 10 or so lumens.

The 2 triple A is very similar to the mini mag in that rotating the head turns it on and off. Reverse threads at a pitch that allows full beam change in about 1 rotation is also present in this one. Unlike the mini mag, Brinkmann uses a recessed bulb fastener with a head that does not come off. So plucking the bulb out requires a stiff tweezer or needle nose pliers. Read: easy to break the bulb. Same required for installing one. The switch system is an old school type and is super easy repair if need be. I had to rip one apart to figure that out but these were 5 for $10. The little side clip is the sort you pop over the body. Stays put well once fastened, but I do like mag's 3/4 wrap that slides on better. However once the Brinkmann is on it stays tight to the barrel where the mag easily slides up n down, which can be annoying for shirt pocket carry. The Brinkmann has a half ring attached to the tail for nail hold, perhaps keychain mounted or adding a lanyard. Brightness is on par with an incan mini mag with better throw by oh... 10-15'.

Both have an o-ring at each end. Both can use any bi-pin bulb with the spread of a mini mag or solitaire. Being new old stock both required cleaning of the contact points for best results. Both are widely available at that famous auction site that ryhmes with we-say.

Note broken links to pix removed.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice thread, this is the first time I'm seeing it! I know quite a bit about Don but little about these lights. I don't imagine Tony Maglica was too happy with Brinkmann producing designs so similar and I know he won at least one suit against Brinkmann. It is interesting that Don went back to Maglite in 2000 so you would think Tony couldn't have been too mad at him.

You see a ton of these lights on eBay I wonder when they were last produced or if they're still being produced.

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
Really enjoyed reading this thread. My first time to see it also. I still have 2 of the original Brinkmann Legends with the bi-pin bulbs. Both still work like new. I also have a 2C Nexstar Brinkmann incan with the twist focus head. It still works too.

sgt253

Enlightened
"At $20 shipped this thing is a bargain. If you happen across a 2D Legend scoop it up, fast."

bykfixer,
Could not resist with a review like that. I have one incoming. Looking forward to its arrival.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This morning on my morning commute my phone lit up with a text stating "enjoy the gift"... shortly after the thought had passed as traffic was 60-0 to 45-8 to 65-0 until I reached my destination. Once there the class I was attending kept my attention but meanwhile the text was bouncing around my brain. Wonder what ole B has sent?

I get home after more of the same scenario, and after speaking with a fellow who was filling in for me at a project that began today. At home I sat in my truck answering emails and PM's that were piling up due to my work schedule.

I walk to the front of my home where the storm door was ajar so I'm thinking "nah... probably not" as my thinking was the text meant it went out today. Yet when I saw the box I was even more intrigued. Now while getting the **** scared out of me... well incontenance hasn't hit yet so the box had to wait a few more minutes.

I opened it and "holy cow!!!"

oTauPfm.jpg

The Legend 3C.

Brighter than the 2D, yet not quite as heavy. Same beam as the krypton'd 2D with even more candlepower. Same grip only more like a golf club handle sized girth...perhaps a bicycle.
Another winner by Brinkmann.

Thanks IG.

Edit:
Forgot to mention that 2C button is activated easily, yet is recessed in a way that allows easy access without accidental activation.

Broken links to pix removed. Added one.

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
Came today...
Legend_2_D_1.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]
Legend_2_D_2.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]
next to Kel Lite II (2C) for size reference
Legend_2_D_3.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Thanks to bykfixer for the review. Great addition to the "Keller" collection.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Legend could also be had with a blue sleeve. A kinda Chicago Cubs shade of blue.
The red looks good. Hope you get lots of service from it sgt.

Luv, luv, luvin' that 2C.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found some old Legend advertisements that I thought might be a nice addition to this thread. I have some unique Legends heading my way that I'll be sure to post up when they arrive too. I heard you might also! :eek:oo:

Page0001.jpg