Don't Pay at the Pump!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gas stations pre-authorize a certain amount to your credit card before you fill up, and when you are done, they then charge the actual amount you filled up and cancel the pre-auth charge. This is to make sure that people have enough credit on their cards, and as you noticed, the pre-auth charge can take a while to clear up. If your credit limit is low and you cannot afford the pre-auth charge, you'll want to pay inside and not at the pump. That's just how it works, there's nothing to sue about.

Robin24k,
I disagree. The reason for sueing is non disclosure. How would you feel if they did this without your knowledge or consent? They must disclose, that is the reason. They have done Holds on cards for 20+ years at different retailers around the country, and I avoid using the card at those. From now on I will use an alternate method of payment. I have been buying Gasoline at that same station for 15 years using my card at the pump without incident.

If you bought a product or service from me for $10, and I did that to you or others without you knowing, everone would be jumping up and down crying fowl. Just because its payment for fuel, does not make them exempt from telling a customer it is going to happen before the transaction is made. I can think of several ways to have avoided this also, CC Pre-pay inside POS terminal, Cash, Check, MO, Gift Certificate, or Gas card.
GL

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they required to disclose? Check your cardholder agreement, I doubt they need to post a sign about pre-auth charges.

Chicago X

Enlightened
...{snip}If your credit limit is low and you cannot afford the pre-auth charge, you'll want to pay inside and not at the pump{snip}....
...{snip}I can think of several ways to have avoided this also, CC Pre-pay inside POS terminal, Cash, Check, MO, Gift Certificate, or Gas card.
GL

Pre-payment avoids this problem, but is much more difficult for disabled patrons with mobility issues.

Per the ADA, a disabled customer can request assistance with fill-up and payment - basically receiving full service for no additional charge. :)

Convincing the inside attendant to -

1) come out
2) take your card
3) go back inside
4) swipe the card
5) return the receipt for signature
6) pump the gas
7) smile and offer further assistance

- may or may not happen, depending on your local station's level of customer service.

By law they are required to offer this service, if requested. There should be an attendant call button somewhere near the pump, within reach of a patron seated in a wheelchair.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they required to disclose? Check your cardholder agreement, I doubt they need to post a sign about pre-auth charges.
Nope it's got nothing to do with the bank.
It's up to the Attorney General to reccomend further action, and up to the state legislators to decide if it is worth thier time to make a law. Good point if it is required to be posted, thanks.
GL

EdB999

Newly Enlightened
Is this just an American thing ? I don't believe it happens over here or anywhere else in Europe. Anyone else around the world had this ?
Yes it's the same here in the UK as well and in the rest of Europe (thank god for chip and pin - try getting fuel in main land Europe on a Sunday a few years ago with a British card!).
Certainly on all the one I've used it shows something along the lines of 'authorized to the sum of xxx' and by entering your pin you are agreeing to the funds being held in lieu of payment. Why it takes all weekend in this digital age is another rant altogether :laughing:

But if you feeling bad just think, $10 (even in my small euro-box ford ka)would only get me about 40 miles at our fuel prices! :mecry: