dorcy 2C 8 LED

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re:

has any one seen this light at walmart yet .and has dorcy said when they expect it there?

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
It would just figure that I reviewed the "not-current" version... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif We'll see what Steve reports back...

Actually, though, I kinda like the recessed look better. More "finished". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, folks, I just spoke with Mike Riley from Dorcy. He made an initial inquiry to his mfgr. about the "recessed vs exposed" issue; they said it was "just the way it was designed". The obvious question, which Mike asked, was "why are there two variations? Are there two designs?"
N.B.: the model with the recessed LEDs is the later production
As it sits right now, Mike is in discussions with the mfgr to make a few small changes in the model, one of which may be the LED mounting. STAY TUNED
I took a second look at my two, though, and the brightness is really pretty similar. Wouldn't it be great if someone like Craig or Quickbeam could measure the two styles' brightness and beam pattern compared to each other?
By the way, Mike said that Target will be stocking the 2C very soon- they've just placed a large order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wwglen

Enlightened
This is GREAT...

Just wait 6-9 months and get it at 70% off.

(I LOVE TARGET CLEARANCE)

wwglen

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
wwglen said:
This is GREAT...

Just wait 6-9 months and get it at 70% off.

(I LOVE TARGET CLEARANCE)

wwglen

[/ QUOTE ]
i think that light will do well.i dont expect to see it on clearance .but i do love all clearcace isles.sometimes im amazed what i get stuff for

wwglen

Enlightened
The average Target shopper probably won't pay $30.00 for a:

"DINKY 2 cell flashlight... it only thaes C size batteries... how good could it be?"

At Wal-Mart the other day the only lights left were the LED lights and a couple kids character lights. After all they only take ONE AA or THREE AAA so they can't be any good. Most people think they need at LEAST two or three "D" cells.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
>Craig you should write a book "1001 uses for items from the bathroom"

I'm thinking of writing at least a letter-to-the-editor to the local paper about uses for flashlights. Preparing for Isabel sold out all the flashlights in Raleigh just about, then nothing much happened, so there's lots of folks with new lights and no idea what to do with 'em...except maybe return them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Wouldn't that be a nightmare for the retailers.

The Dorcy looks quite nice, I'll have to snap one up when I finally see one.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just posted a battery discharge analysis to my site, so here it is...

dorcy8.gif

Looks like it runs for about 7 hours before it really starts whirling down the {vulgar term for toliet}.
But it's been running for almost 48 hours now, and it's still about 1/4 as bright as my 2002 CPF Arc-AAA.
And it's still going, like that insipid rabbit on the battery commercial. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to decide when I can, with good conscience, trash the batteries in these LED lights that just keep glowing and glowing. I'm thinking that when a multi-LED light isn't as bright as a basic Infinity would be a nice lower limit. That gives me an hour or two in an Inova X5 for batts out of a Surefire A2.

I like to use all the energy, but it's no fun having hi-tech lights that are as bright as a phosphorescent flea. Not to mention having to check the alkaline cells frequently since they're more likely to leak if they're near-dead.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the hurricane rolled through the other week, my Walmart was almost completely devoid of flashlights the day after. I looked around and there were only one or two packages of D cells in the whole store. However, the C cells looked almost untouched.

Food for thought...

Mark

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Minjin said:
When the hurricane rolled through the other week, my Walmart was almost completely devoid of flashlights the day after. I looked around and there were only one or two packages of D cells in the whole store. However, the C cells looked almost untouched.

Food for thought...

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone else recently reported that the AA cells were also untouched. More food for thought.

bigthing

Newly Enlightened
hi

I wonder how this graph would look when using rechargeables? Has anybody done this yet? I think it would be alot flatter, but maybe brighter because of the lower internal resistance of rechargeables. I would do it but i dont have any C cell rechargeables. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't have rechargeable C cells or a charger for them, so somebody else who can do a runtime analysis, has rechargeable Cs, has a charger for them, and has this flashlight would have to do this test. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Oh, and my Dorcy 2-C has been running for about 74 hours now, and it's still going as brightly as it was when I yanked it from the meter & solar setup at about the 48 hour mark.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess here in the south there are more people with C cell flashlights, since I only found the occasional package of those, like at Best Buy (wal-mart was out).

Craig, if you have two AA rechargeables and can manage to get them to power it with a toilet paper tube for support or something, the current draw from them should be about the same, and then you can get a rough rechargeable runtime out of that. Cs vary from 1.2Ah to, I think I've seen 6Ah.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
radellaf said:
Craig, if you have two AA rechargeables and can manage to get them to power it with a toilet paper tube for support or something, the current draw from them should be about the same, and then you can get a rough rechargeable runtime out of that. Cs vary from 1.2Ah to, I think I've seen 6Ah.

[/ QUOTE ]
The tested sample uses 650mA, and the rechargeable AA cells I have are rated at 1,600mAh, so figure it will run for 2-3 hours on them. I don't know where my NiMH charger is at the moment, but I know exactly where the batteries are (points to left at the Rat Shack NiMH 4xAA package hanging on the wall next to a powerstrip by the doorframe).

So again, somebody else will probably have to do this test. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:
Craig,

NICE GRAPH! Is that a new feature?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you!!!
It's not a NEW feature, but it has been on hiatus for more than a year because I busted the photodetector that I used to do the graphs with. Busted the {vulgar term for having intercourse} thing while hooking it up to a scope. :/
Thanks to another CPFer though, I have a new photodetector and I'm "back in the swing of things". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts