dorcy 2C 8 LED

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
asdalton, when I click on the link to your review I get the text, but not the photos. Could you take a look and perhaps tweak things so the photos again appear? You've got me curious, and I want to see your version of the light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
asdalton, when I click on the link to your review I get the text, but not the photos. Could you take a look and perhaps tweak things so the photos again appear?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those links are fixed now. For ease of comparison, here are pictures of the two different versions:

From Quickbeam:

dorcy_2c8led_glamour.jpg

My version:

Dorcy_8LED_1.jpg

I like the second design better, and I hope that it is the newer version.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
asdalton, thanks for the fix. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif For what it's worth, I agree with you about preferring the exposed LED version of the Dorcy. Hope it's still available out there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange that they have 2 different designs for the reflector... FWIW, the little holes the LEDs sit in are silvered as well, so the light bounces around and comes out the end anyway.

bigthing

Newly Enlightened
Brock

I get different current readings than you do. with almost new batteries,i get 500 ma from the batteries,and i did a current test on the head and found it's drawing 280 ma from the inverter. so im guessing the led's are seeing a little over 30 ma each. my batteries measured 1.45 volts

mike

Brock

Flashaholic
Odd, do you have the inset LED's or the newer reflector type one? I have the inset one. Also those readings were taken on new alkalines 1.55v, it might drop that much after a couple of minutes, I only let it burn for a minute. I should let it burn off the surface charge longer, maybe 5 min and check it again.

I wonder if they changed the inverter design between lights? Steve any ideas?

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
Odd, do you have the inset LED's or the newer reflector type one? I have the inset one. Also those readings were taken on new alkalines 1.55v, it might drop that much after a couple of minutes, I only let it burn for a minute. I should let it burn off the surface charge longer, maybe 5 min and check it again.

I wonder if they changed the inverter design between lights? Steve any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi folks....I've been watching this debate unfold, and have forwarded all the threads to Dorcy's sales manager, Mike Riley. He's aware of the issue and is getting me an answer on exactly what's going on here.
Brock: I will try to get an answer on your question.
Will post anything I come up with
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
I just checked mine (a blue and a silver), and they have the "exposed LED" design, so they must be the newer version.

[/ QUOTE ]

Craig: I don't know if it's so much "newer" version as simply a correction of a "manufacturing defect". I pointed this out to Mike Riley when I got the first samples and we discussed the lights (this was before he sent your samples to you). When this thread showed up in CPF, I raised the issue again. We'll see what comes of this, but I believe the way they're supposed to be, and intended to be, is with the LEDs exposed.
Will keep everyone posted.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would just figure that I reviewed the "not-current" version... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif We'll see what Steve reports back...

Actually, though, I kinda like the recessed look better. More "finished". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bigthing

Newly Enlightened
If you are still wondering, mine has the exposed style LED's and is a flat silver color just like the one on Craig's site.
Thanks,Mike

steve_vance

Enlightened
Well, regarding the exposed-LED-vs-recessed-LED situation, last night I did my own (relatively crude) beam and brightness comparison between them.
The bad news is, the recessed-LED model had a "perceived " brightness of what I estimate to be 12%-15% less than the exposed-LED model. This was based on shining them both on a bedroom wall in a dark room, from a distance of approx. 8 feet.
There was no difference in beam shape, however, at 8 feet the beam cross-section (diameter) was approx 3" less for the recessed one.
I will post as soon as I hear from Dorcy.

Illuminated

Enlightened
FWIW,

I have just seen the new Dorcy lights at Meijer's here in Ohio:

2AA/4-LED @ $19.99

2C/8-LED @ $32.99

Spyder 2 x 123 @ $19.99

Note that the LED models had the "recessed" LED's

John

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My 1-AA 3-LED and 2-AA 4-LED models have recessed LEDs too. The 1-AAA 1-LED and 2-C 8-LED have exposed (non-recessed) LEDs. Maybe the AA cell versions I have are just a bit older than the AAA and C cell versions.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is one Spyder for $19.99 at Meijers.

After checking out a Spyder, I would say that the Brinkmann Legend LX is a much better light IMHO.

Pat

Latest posts