dorcy 2C 8 LED

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
steve_vance said:
Craig @ LED Museum has a recent review up; I have no doubt he'll be doing a runtime test soon.

[/ QUOTE ]
As soon as I can get another solar cell, I'll do runtime tests on this flashlight. My solar cell became broken (shattered, actually) while I was hooking it up to an oscilloscope last year. And that cell was what I used for doing runtime analyses with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Maybe Brock or Doug will beat me to this one.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
steve_vance said:
how can I help you, Craig? What kind of solar cell do you need?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's very generous of you Steve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I believe the cell I had was an amorphous silicon type, with a brownish matte surface and some lines in it (wires to collect the charge evenly). But for battery tests, a polycrystalline silicon type (dark blue with a "fractured" appearance to it) should also work. A couple of wire leads soldered to it (or already attached) would work even better, regardless of the cell type.

Thank you very much ahead of time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Well it is pulling a whopping 800 mA, a lot for 8 LED, even with a step up. But this light is very close to a 1w LS. I would bet the lumens are the same, but the beam with the 8 leds is wider, then the Arc LS or Surefire KL1. If I had to guess I would say each LED is getting about 70mA.

For runtime a typical alkaline C cell is just over 8000mA is it should run a good 4 hours. I would bet closer to 5 before it hit the ½ way mark due to the slope in alkaline battery output. I will runtime test this one soon, hopefully tonight if all goes well.

In short is it bright, easy to handle, and relatively cheap to run. I think it might catch on, especially if the actual price is lower when if it hits Sears and Wal-Mart.

Thanks Steve for getting these to us. It is nicer then you described it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a sweet little light. Surprisingly solid construction. The lanyard loop is the most annoying thing, but it's easy to rip off. I'm working on the review right now.

dorcy_2c8led_glamour.jpg
dorcy_2c8led_ruler.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how to make a chamber that will allow for relative brightness measurements so we can compare the total light output as opposed to Lux at beam center... Sort of a "poor mans" integration sphere. No plans for runtime tests, though - I'd need an automatic data collecting DMM and they're just too expensive.

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
[ QUOTE ]
steve_vance said:
how can I help you, Craig? What kind of solar cell do you need?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's very generous of you Steve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I believe the cell I had was an amorphous silicon type, with a brownish matte surface and some lines in it (wires to collect the charge evenly). But for battery tests, a polycrystalline silicon type (dark blue with a "fractured" appearance to it) should also work. A couple of wire leads soldered to it (or already attached) would work even better, regardless of the cell type.

Thank you very much ahead of time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Craig: please look at this website and figure out what you want and email me at [email protected] (You may want to look at some of their test and demo kits- I don't know if they would work for you, but they look pretty neat)

Silicon Solar

steve

Brock

Flashaholic
Doug, my poor mans runtime is a digital camera aimed at the light meter. I can set it to take pics 1 or 5 min intervals. The catch is I have to guess on the 1 min or 5 min shots, sometimes I run them both, but that ends up being 6 sets of batteries (three for each test). Usually I can guess if it is going to be a long run light or not. I am going to set this one for the 5 min shots.

Then when I am done I have my wife scroll through the pics while reading them and put them in my excel spread sheet, then once I have three I average them and poof, I have a runtime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. Finally I understand the switch a bit better. Fully anodized on the INSIDE!? This sounds very nice. Are "common aluminum" flashlights also anodized inside?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam, your photography never ceases to amaze me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif How do you get such incredible photos for all your reviews?

Also, it appears that this particular Dorcy light is unable to stand on its tailcap?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Let me jump in here on this one... none of the 4 new Dorcy LED flashlights can stand up on their tailcaps because they have a rounded rubber piece on there that acts as a momentary switch.

The 2-C 8-LED model can be stood up on its tail if you turn it on and put it tailfirst in a roll of toliet paper.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Craig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hmm... maybe with a couple brackets, the 2-C model could become a bathroom toilet paper holder... that pulls out to double as an emergency flashlight!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Craig you should write a book "1001 uses for items from the bathroom" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

run testing on the 2C began about 5 min ago...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
Craig you should write a book "1001 uses for items from the bathroom" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That's {vulgar term for having intercourse} funny!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let's see here... the toliet...
1: Poop in it.
2: Pee in it.
3: Flush it.
4: Throw flashlights in it. Be sure they go in the water headfirst.
5: ...awww heck I'm out of ideas. It's late and someone busted the coffeepot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Oh wait...I wrote that last sentence in a Commodore 64 demo back in the late 1980s or early 1990s... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Don't forget use the TP as a light holder upper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That's one of my favorites.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig - thanks for fielding that one - havn't been able to check back for a couple days. I'm surprised you havn't patented your "flashlight stand" idea. Then you could (like a well known flashlight mfgr.) start suing all the TP mfgrs for breach of copyright for making items that "could be mistaken for your product".

Milkyspit- Like the photos, eh? The're getting better the more I learn about the graphics manipulation software I'm using! The raw photos are so-so. With the proper poke, prod and tweak they come out looking very nice!

Brock

Flashaholic
I haven't run the third test, but it looks like 3.5 hours to 50%. They certainly aren't regulated. I started at 140, then dropped to 110 in 5 min. That's alkaline for you. At about 6 hours there was a much sharper drop out. More later...

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam,

That light you have has a different reflector than mine. As you can see in the picture from my review, there is another version that has a reflector in the style of the Streamlight 4AA. Yours has recessed LEDs, which makes less efficient use of light.

I also have a Dorcy 2AA (4 LED) light that has recessed LEDs. I hope that the non-recessed LEDs are in the newer versions of all the Dorcy lights.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI:
I checked my local (east coast) Sears and China-Mart over the weekend. These new lights have not arrived in either place yet.

Latest posts