Draft - LS4 Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MY

Enlightened
Wow.

Provide flow chart.

Divide into two sections, one for basic, uncluttered and uncomplicated use; and, and another for advance use. Most people have no need for the advance features and will probably forget anything related to this section - don't force people to learn processes which they will not use.

Provide run time table with the different settings so that one can make intellegent decisions about brightness settings.

Wow again.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think a flow chart would help me to understand things better. Just a note, I thought the LS4 was going to be able to toggle its brightness up or down between several brightness levels, not just two.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think all this computerization is a solution in search of a problem. Who needs all this power control when the light works just fine for 2+ hours per cr123 at high power? LS5 is more interesting, but I think the best thing to do with this technology is build a monster light like McGizmo's modded Surefire M6, something like an SFM6 sized light with three 5W emitters powered by a lithium ion rechargeable pack. A light that size could easily have several buttons and even a power meter / status display, so the UI would be a lot friendlier.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
very interesting, I wonder how many people will be able to operate any of the advanced functions 1 month after reading the instructions. I've got a Virgin mobile cell phone that has a bunch of advanced functions that require knowing which specific functions are accessed by specific key presses which kind of reminds me of an enigma machine. Flow charts would be good as well as a flow chart embossed in plastic that is wallet sized and can be carried in one's wallet. I suppose programming the light with the instructions and then leaving it alone would be in order. I would have probably been happy with two levels, a regular and super bright mode

paulr

Flashaholic
I think three levels are good.

Low - 50 mA, Arc AAA brightness
regular - 350 mA, normal rated power
Super - 800 mA or whatever temporary boost, thermal
shutdown after 20 seconds or so.

The only other level I could see adding is super low, 1 mA or so.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
one button - a zillion functions
this is definitely not a user-friendly or even fool-proof device.
the advantages gained in comparison with a simple dual-brightness setting are minor, the inconveniences major.
I'll pass on this one.
bernhard

red_robby

Enlightened
well, I found mt self getting a little bored about half way
through the instructions, does that mean anything ?
I have a total of 7 ARC LS's, so you can say that I'm an arc
fan, arc is definitely the company that "hooked" me into this sweet addiction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I'll probably "have" to have at least one of the LS4...
I HOPE I'M ABLE TO SWITCH IT ON&OFF.
who here needs 15 brightness levels? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif, no really.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
well, that would be 1 level for each lumen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
seriously though, this thing will be far more complex than an eternalight and it does not have text written on it, so IMHO it is overdesigned without the actual need of the end user in mind. too many settings without usability (two tactical modes in a 20 lm light?) and only one steering wheel for starting, turning, braking and changing the radio station.

simplicity is an art, complexity is a mirror of the inability to reduce to the essentials.

bernhard

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent Suggestions guys! One of the reasons for posting here was to see how many "huhs?" I got when you read the instructions.

Here's my first draft of the flowchart. Is this what you had in mind?

flowchartdraft.jpg

Peter

PeterB

Enlightened
I like the flow chart very much!
I think it would be better, if the light would start immediately after pressing the button (for constant on the light starts after releasing the button and for the momentary functions there is a delay).
The micro could judge also after starting the light, if momentary or constant on was intended.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr.Gransee,
Always one step ahead of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Lookin' forward to the LS4!!

PluckyPleco

Newly Enlightened
The flowchart helped a lot, the timeline charts didn't do much for me until I studied them some...

If it is going to take the extra time to study them, perhaps putting a labeled y-axis like "brightness" or something to make them a bit clearer.

Will you be handing out $0.02 discount codes? ;-)

Plec

Stu

Newly Enlightened
s, p, d & f orbitals.. somewhere in the Rockies
I think the flowchart is pretty straight forward & easy to figure out. The functions look fairly intuitive.. if the light is on & you want a boost, simply press & hold. If the light is off & you want momentary, just press & hold, then release when done. It's easy to associate "2 clicks" with "light level change." Besides, the basic functions & operation of the switch will become second-nature very quickly. I think this will represent the majority of daily usage.

It seems we are asking a lot of functions from a single switch mechanism, and if we are going to get other useful modes in addition to the day-to-day intuitive functions, well there has to be a certain volume of instructions/learning curve to program all those good things. I'd rather have all those goodies available than not, & I won't mind learning the menu functions when needed. Heck, it'll be fun.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instructions look good, and I have an eye for "user friendly-ness"

The flow charts - I would add the [off]-(click 1x)- to the start of each of the options, as well as each of the timelines. This gives the user a common reference point for each and every one of the functions ([off]).

absoLite

Newly Enlightened
I'm with PeterB, the light should start immediately when pressing the button. That's what one would expect when using any flashlight.
Or, how long is the initial delay ?

Anyway, the flowchart seems to be easy to understand.

notamchris

Newly Enlightened
Will the light be protected against latching on with a very quick bump (say it gets knocked in you pocket)?

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
Even when I hand my LS to somebody, they usually try to twist it rather than click the tailpiece. Some verbal instruction is going to be necessary. If I handed this light to somebody, I would say something like:

"Click once to turn on or off. When on, double click to toggle between low and high, or hold to get a high-powered blast. When off, press and hold to activate momentarily."

Somthing like that is enough info for almost anybody. I would bury the rest of the instructions so that only the determined will bother to go hunt them down. To try to simplify the rest of it and make it super-accessible could lead to frustration and criticisms of over-complexity. The rest of the fancy programming should be known to exist, but should not be promoted as something that you really want to get into. I would include it as an appendix to the instructions, perhaps even on a separate sheet of paper, to make it clear that you don't need to involve yourself there if you don't want to.

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
I've read the instructions many times. A couple questions remain in my mind, maybe someone
can enlighten me. Does the light turn on in the brightness setting that it was turned off from?
I assume that's the reason for the "force primary" setting? So, if I want momentary I can get it in either primary or secondary brightness? I don't think the instructions spell this out clearly, and it's a very important consideration for me.

I do a great deal of wilderness camping. Allot of time is spent in tents on rainy days reading.
The ability to alter the brightness over many different settings will be VERY useful at times like that.
I usually carry a bright light with some throw, a AAA for reading and a photon for emergencies. The versatility of the LS4 means the AAA can stay in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.