Dragon NaturallySpeaking, who uses?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used previous versions too, their Mac version works very good. But honestly, I have gotten pretty good at typing and messing with the microphpone and everything is a pain, and training it took forever if I recall.

I used it, it's certainly fun but I don't own the latest version as I just never used it beyond the GeeWiz phase of it. I type OK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do have a friend that plugs his powerbook in while driving and dictates to it on long drives. I don't know how well it works, but it's got to be better than the people who read the newspaper while driving...

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Webley, that is true you do need to speak like a human and not like a ghetto blaster.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
A friend of mine told me it slowed his computer down to a crawl (an older version). He has a P-IV 1.2ghz with 256mb. He is also not savvy when it comes to computers. He may have 20 programs that open when he starts his machine. Anyone have this problem? I saw the program calls for 256mb Ram as a min.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am running 256 MB of RAM and 1.0 gig processor. I'm attached to a network, and many, many servers. I've not noticed any slowdown. I'm also attached to and electronic medical records program, just as fast as ever. I think that your friend may have had too many applications open at once. The first thing I plan on doing is upgrading my RAM.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig, if you're reading this your e-mail is over quota. I got your message but you did not get mine. Please try the deleteing some messages and send me another e-mail. I will send the disk off as soon as possible.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I have been looking at this software for some time now, but I keep hearing that there are many irritations with it. Let me know what others think of it.

My son has no need of it though. He came home from school yesterday and told me that in his TechEd class, he now holds the school record for typing speed - 100 words per minute with 97% accuracy. I think he gets it from my side of the family...

Tom

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Bushman said:
Craig, if you're reading this your e-mail is over quota. I got your message but you did not get mine. Please try the deleteing some messages and send me another e-mail. I will send the disk off as soon as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mike,

The "over quota" message is bogus and should be ignored.
I received your message, and replied to it a short time ago.

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ledfanfromjuno

Enlightened
There is a great freeware program that I use called speakonia. Just search for it on google websearch or yahoo. It doesn't take dictation. It does read to me however. It doesn't seem to have any limitations like some of the other so called free reading programs that you have to purchase to get full functionality.

Just boot up speakonia. Highlight text and copy. As soon as you hit copy to windows clipboard with the right mouse button menu or the dropdown menus, speakonia starts reading no matter how much you copy. You can adjust the speed and pitch and tone of voice. It's clear to understand.

I like it a lot.. It's only 2.56 megabytes in size.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Ahhh, a "talker".
Wonder how it handles punctuation, smileys, and other goodies that might be found in text files like this. I'd almost be tempted to get the program, have it say "Flush broken light bulbs and used douches down the toliet!", record it on tape, and dump it into a telephone answering machine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

(Edit) I put it in, and it sounds just like SAM for the Commode 64 computer. It can't say "douches" right, just like SAM. It says it like "couches" instead of "dooshes". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

(Edit again) It can't say douches right, but it says words like "shower" and "towel" correctly. And it completely skips over smilies and other graphics embedded in text.

ledfanfromjuno

Enlightened
I just dumped your entire post into speakonia, Craig. It handled everything well except for douches and toilet. It just ignored all the smileys. Not bad for free and a very tiny download size.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just tried Speakonia. A pretty nifty little program, for being freeware. The guy's voice could use a couple megawatts of jolt to bring up that monotone (or the bad impression of excitement with the "!"), but otherwise, an cool program for reiterations.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think I might have misspelled "toliet" (it says it like
"tall'lyet") but it definitely can't say "douches".
But for a free program, it's quite nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif