Dream 2D Mag Mod- any cells, any lamp

dan_

Newly Enlightened
Re: Dream 2D Mag Mod

7AA and a wa01274 is not a bad combo. But 7AA and a 3854 Rop Hi is killer!

I´m looking into getting more light out of my 2D M*g (currently 6aa Sanyo2500, WA1111) -
anyone here using modamags 2D->8aa adapter with the sanyo's in an UNBORED 2D host?

Tried to put 4 batteries in (plain i.e. w/o having the adaptor yet), but it´s too tight. Maybe if I rip off the plastic of the batteries (or does that get my into trouble in terms of the resulting contact to the al host :confused: ).

Does the 3854 Rop exist as bi-pin version as well?

Otherwise I can forget about that anyways, as I have the KIU Socket.

Cheers,
dan

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have had good luck fitting 8x14500 cells in un-bored 2D lights.. you can run 1166 lamp with 100% regulation for about 40 minutes. it's a similar amount of light but with the FM2LS reflector it's amazing..

If you just want bright and small... unbored not concerned about runtime.. than the 6x1650 AA and the osram 64275 with hotdriver will be the brightest solution.

-awr

dan_

Newly Enlightened

andrewwynn said:
If you just want bright and small... unbored not concerned about runtime.. than the 6x1650 AA and the osram 64275 with hotdriver will be the brightest solution.
-awr

Will the osram 64275 be significantly brighter than the WA1111?
'Suppose without the hotdriver the bulb will instaflash with 7.2V?

edit

awr, nevermind - just found the answer myself in your hotdriver thread;
if someone wants to know:

taken from awr´s hotdriver thread:

Current limiting OPTION.. the circuit is wired up in such a way that it is possible to introduce current limiting as well as voltage limiting.. for example.. you could have a driver set to a maximum of 7.2V but 6.35A.. that way the same configuration can host either the 1111 bulb that pulls only 3.7A at 7.2V or the osram 6V 35W lamp that needs to stay below about 7V.. but takes 6.35A at that voltage level.. no need to change the voltage setting.. it will take some tweaking to get that driver set just right but it would be a very nice solution to be able to have the likes of 870torch lumens of outupt from a 2D host just by swapping the bulb! (1111 is 572TL at 7.2V)

cheers,
dan

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

52% brighter, by the way... it would be a dream solution to have a current limited hotdriver that can swap between 870L osram and 572L WA lamps with no changing of settings, just swapping the lamp!

-awr

dan_

Newly Enlightened

andrewwynn said:
52% brighter, by the way... it would be a dream solution to have a current limited hotdriver that can swap between 870L osram and 572L WA lamps with no changing of settings, just swapping the lamp!

-awr

Oh man, that sounds very tempting... 52% brighter.. :wow:
Do you have the bulbs in stock as well?
Suppose the 'basic' hotdriver for $35 would do the job?

Cheers,
dan

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

6.35A but only 0.2V overhead (7.2 - 7.0) = 1.27W on the FET.. i only recommend the 'high power' model if it's over 2W on the FET. The trick is that it really needs to have precise current limiting if you want to use dual use like described.. i'd probably recommend using the vTwo hotdriver about to be released.. it'll be probably $5 extra for the basic model.. $40 vs $35.

I really like that lamp... i think i just talked myself into making one of these myself.. i have D-sized LiONs.. so it makes for some killer runtime.

I don't really stock that lamp but i think i have 2 in the house and i'll buy more so i can make my light and have spares, so i would be able to send you a lamp or two with your hotdriver.. not sure how much they are.. you can look at bulbconnection.com i think that's where i bought mine.. you can probably save on shipping by buying them through me.. i'd split the shipping cost.

-awr

dan_

Newly Enlightened

andrewwynn said:
i'd probably recommend using the vTwo hotdriver about to be released.. it'll be probably $5 extra for the basic model.. $40 vs $35.

I don't really stock that lamp but i think i have 2 in the house and i'll buy more so i can make my light and have spares, so i would be able to send you a lamp or two with your hotdriver.. not sure how much they are.. you can look at bulbconnection.com i think that's where i bought mine.. you can probably save on shipping by buying them through me.. i'd split the shipping cost.

-awr

Sounds good to me! Concerning the vTwo HD - how long will it approx. take until you'ld be able to have it ready for shipping?
I´d be in for 2 Osram bulbs then pending on release of the vTwo... I was hoping to use the hotdriver soon. Maybe I just have to learn to be patient :popcorn:

cheers,
dan

dan_

Newly Enlightened

andrewwynn said:
probably 2-3 weeks before vTwo are shipping.
-awr

Alright, I´ll hang in til then. As said before, I´ld take 2 of the osram 64275 if you get to order them. Just looked them up, they were about 6.xx US$.

Do you want me to sent paypal now - or are you going to inform about availability of the vTwo in your HD thread?

cheers,
dan

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

i will start a new thread for vTwo shortly.. there will be a small price bump for the vTwo that most people don't need.. so vOne is all most people need.

I will order some 275s in my next bulb connection order.

-awr