Driver for MTG2

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I have a Solarforce L2P with 18650 extension. Currently, it has a de domed MTG2 with a 4.4 amp driver. But something is going on with it and doesn't seem as bright as it was.

Anyways, are there any three mode 6-9 amp drivers for the MTG2 that will fit in a solarforce K3 turbo head?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh did a direct drive MT-G2 for P60 dropin for a while & the common feedback is that heat generated is too much, resulting in the emitter killing some of the "diodes" or whatever u call it.

- JonK

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
The board that I have is a Nanjg 105C. Any way to tell how many amps this board is?

I've looked all over the internet and can't find a 17mm board over 3 amps. Is there some secret website I'm missing?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There shud be chip(s) with 3 legs on 1 side & 1 leg on the other side. Those are the chips that determines how much current ur driver draws.

Usually each of them will do 350mA but there are some that do 380mA.

- JonK

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
There are 6 small ones and possible two more that have 3 legs on one side and 1 on the other but those two are bigger. Even if all 8 were 380 ma, that would only be 3 amps.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Poor camera pics but here it is.

udeseben.jpg

e8y6asuh.jpg

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, u have 8 chips there & they will be only 2.8A or 3A only.
U see all the chips who have the 1 leg on the rim of the driver? Those are it.
Google how to piggy back stack those chips to increase the current

- JonK

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Well, this is supposed to be a 4.5 amp driver. Hmmm. It was modded by someone on this forum and they said they were going to put in a 4.5 amp driver. Spent $80 to have the led de domed, new springs, 4.5 amp driver and thermally sealed. Not sure what to think.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
7135 ICs are not designed for the voltages required to drive an MTG2. While they will run, they will burn a lot of heat and over time will become damaged.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Any ideas on what to do? I sent him a message and he said I can send it back and get can mod it to 6A. But it sounds like it can't handle the voltge for the MTG2.

2 AW 2000 mah 18650's hot off the charger, output on high is not much brighter that my Nitecore SRT3. This is at around three minutes. Right off the charger, output is maybe 1,000-1,300 lumens.

When I first got the light, it was fairly bright, guessing 2,000-2,500 lumens. Supposed to be 3,000+.

It quit working so I took it apart. There was a chip, maybe a diode on the back of the board that has the springs on it that burned up. I resoldered the + wire to the midle of the board where the + spring is.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like heat got the better of it. You'll struggle to get a driver at that power that will fit the P60 pill Vinh uses. I've making a 4A MTG2 driver at the moment but the inductor on it is too high for the cavity of normal P60 shells. Hate to say it but with currently available OTS products you won't get what you're after :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk