Drivers/ regulator input voltage current effects on output quantity

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
It was my belief that the driver characteristics made the output current constant(within reason) no matter what the input current/voltage was. Recently having bought a driver that was rated at 5 to 35 volts and having tried it the output was Far beneath what was expected, this was sort of envisaged. even though drivers regulators buck or boost are rated at at least such and such, how much variance does the input have at the amount of output?

For exmple, if i put 12v at 600ma into a buck i can always get more out put than if i power it with a 5v at 600ma even though the grand total to the led is only 3v and 350ma. Is this due to the limiting effect of the voltage, or the fact that the driver is either useless or needs a higher voltage dofference to operate in the way i was expecting .

The main point i suppose is that the driver seems to have resistive qualities, but not directly, the current and voltage in has to increase if i need a higher output, If you want more out you need to put more in.

Last edited:

Latest posts