Duty light for Law Enforcement Park Ranger??

PayBack

Enlightened
Skip the Chinese lights and go with something bulletproof like the Malkoff. . . . . Your life depends on it.

I'm curious about comments like this.. are Fexnix or Jetbeam lights known to be unreliable? or is it a blind race thing?

I've bought a number of lights from Fenix and all have been totally reliable. My first light bought from an American supplier/manufacturer (AFAIK), was DOA (a Zebralight).

So yeah people, stay away from lights made in the USA.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
possibly a reference to some cheaper Asian lights. Nothing wrong with 4 Sevens or Fenix.
I don't own a Malkoff yet but it sounds like must have item!

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
Backup is a Stinger (dept issued) that I keep in my truck.
If you don't have a backup on your belt or in your pocket you should!!! I carry a Nitecore extreme in my cargo pocket at all times. Very small and still powerful, I have actually had to use it several times when my primary ran out of juice.

SmithGW

Newly Enlightened
I second that!! I carry a Stinger XT on my belt and have just put an Olight I10 right behind the Stinger. My traffic stop and boat light is an UltraStinger. My other backup lights are: Polystinger, Inova X1, LED Coleman of some sort. The backup lights live in a pack that goes with me in the woods. I've worked tracks that have killed several lights. I was once down to the X1 and nothing else, but had spare batteries for that.

Two is one, one is none. Stay safe.

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
I've had Fenix lights stop working on me, sometimes it's something minor where I have to take them apart and clean the connections. Sometimes I had no idea want happened and good whack gets them running

Police Officers tend to be rougher on lights. They get dropped, they get banged around on the duty belt, I once dropped a light off a four story balcony :poof: .... Hell, I've thrown flashlights at people (supervisors don't like that btw).

Fenix makes a fine light.... but I don't 100% trust their relibility. Heck, I don't 100% trust any light, so I carry two. However, in my experience, Inova holds up better to regular duty use than a Fenix. If someone feels they need a light that you can explore the bottom of the ocean with, go for it, but please have a backup on you.

I typically have three lights these days. A Streamlight SL-20x in the car that usually comes out on traffic stops, an Inova T4 on my belt and a smaller tactical flashlight in my cargo pocket.

Last edited: