Duty light for Law Enforcement Park Ranger??

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd suggest going to this beamshot website and take a look at the various beamshots from different lights and especially the TK20's beamshots which can be found in the 'road dry', 'neglinka 1' and 'neglinka 2' selection of beamshots

Brigadier

Enlightened
Forget the warm tint LED's and get yourself a good incandescent. My recommendation is a LumensFactory Seraph SP-9, a D36 mini TH, and HO-9L lamp, and 4 ea AW 18500 Li-Ions.

HotPursuit

Newly Enlightened
I didn't read all the reply's. However, I was going to recommend the SF E2DL as a good backup light. Mine is carried in my pocket. I use the department supplied Streamlight SL-20 most of the time. Another good backup choice is a Nitecore EX10. Its very small and is very adjustable. I have one and use it mostly as an EDC light, but it would work as a bu for work as well.

I think the E2DL (or similar sized light) would be fine as a primary light. However, after years of using a larger light I find it more useful. Eaiser to tuck under your arm for tasks, the smaller lights are too small for this.

Last edited:

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
May I ask why you want to get away from a traditional duty light?

A Streamlight SL-20 is going to outthrow a fenix, olight, ect. It may not be as bright, but it will reach a lot further. And an Ultrastringer is probably going to out throw just about anything until you start getting into really expensive lights. Also the Pelican 7060 and 8060 are great throwers for LEDs.

The reason I tend to like more traditional lights for a couple reasons, first they can substituted for impact weapons. I know the pelicans were designed not to be used as such, but believe me you can clock someone good with one if the emergency need arises. Also, there is a good support system around those lights. Your local duty gear supply store can typically do warranty work, saving you from shipping them off and waiting for a return.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ultra-stinger is very nice! but huge. the pelican 7060 i consider a "blinder" its beam isnt very useful imho. but can sure blind a person well. and is very lightweight, although alittle big.

and another problem with those lights is that when the built in battery is dead, the light is sitting on a charger for awhile. but with a light using batteries, you can just changed the battery.

i too would recommend a warm tint, especially in a green enviornment.
jetbeam RRT-2 or jetbeam M lll in warm tint. both these lights are designed better for throw.

eagletacs also have warm tint options, and are usually driven very hard, so output is probably higher.

if your going to use rechargeables, 18650 li-ion is the best option for high output, with the best runtimes.

the jetbeam RRT-2, jetbeam M lll, and eagletac t20c2 all will accept the 18650, and can also use 2x cr123a, or rechargeable 2x 16340(rcr123a).

if you want something really bright, check out the eagletac M2's they also come in warm tint. and are pretty compact.

SmithGW

Newly Enlightened
wmflyfisher,

I have been wading through the same waters as you with flashlight selection. I am in conservation L.E. in Va. We are looking for a belt light to back up and/or replace the traditional Maglights, Ultrastingers, Stingers... It seems that you can't recharge these bad boys on trees and then you're just in the dark. As soon as I can get the brass to turn loose some pennies we will be purchasing several for T&E. I can vouch for the Olight M21. A friend has one which easily illuminates the entire side of a barn 200 yards from his house. Selecting between modes, while not difficult, is more than you want to do when in a hurry. I think I'm going to stick with a light that has preset modes selectable at the head or a selector ring like the jetbeam RRTs. Good Luck. Stay safe.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Skip the Chinese lights and go with something bulletproof like the Malkoff. . . . . Your life depends on it.

Last edited:

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Trying to solve this problem without knowing all about your job is probably stupid but consider this: IF I had to choose just one light I'd go with the frequently recommended E2D LED and if runtime is a concern, use the lower setting for anything but S&R or tactical situations- I've found it very useful in dark-adapted vision situations. As far as carrying a big light for bludgeoning purposes, I'm not sure how you guys are equipped but if it was me, I'd prefer a baton of some sort to a risk of losing my only light due to an impact. Haven't dropped any recently, but incan Maglights used to fail all the time for that reason. But you must surely want a backup light and carrying a big light with the SF (or similar) as primary and the biggie as the BACKUP would (I propose) be best of all. Of course don't ignore or overlook the defensive uses of the E2D but it does require you to be in pretty close....

Brigadier

Enlightened
I would feel comfortable with these two:

standard.jpg

ky70

Banned
It's starting to sound like an echo in here but I received the Eagletac T100c2 MII yesterday and I'm blown away. Really good throw (and decent spill) and a simple UI that just makes sense. I understand why many folks feel this is the best light under $50.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I have the most recent Inova T4 and that is a great duty light. Not the best thrower but when I have walked through a dark park I found it to light up the trees pretty well, even far away.

I am looking at buying the Peak FR600 to be my duty light.

Or are you looking for a smaller light, like a surefire 6P size?
I have heard good things about solarforce, but even a surefire 6p can be had for under 100. Then use the extra to buy a recharegable battery and dropin.

My lumapower MRV has also served me well. Havent used the new models though, only have the Q2 version.

I would also say consider a small backup light. 1 or 2 CR123 based because heck if you are in the forrest you may be miles away from any light source.

wmflyfisher

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again guys. I'm pretty overwhelmed with the responses! I'm really leaning towards the new Eagletac T20c2 Mark II or an Olight but not sure which. Just to answer a few questions this will be my duty belt light. I used a stinger (dept issued) that stays in my truck for the larger light. My belt is setup just like a regular police officer (baton, Glock 40, pepper spray, etc...).

Another main concern is finding a holster to fit the various models that I'm considering.

wmflyfisher

Newly Enlightened
It's starting to sound like an echo in here but I received the Eagletac T100c2 MII yesterday and I'm blown away. Really good throw (and decent spill) and a simple UI that just makes sense. I understand why many folks feel this is the best light under $50.

Where did you end up getting it from??

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I would be careful when dealing with the chinese brands. I have had 3 lights from three chinese companies stop working or stop working properly on me. Im thinking that from now on I want a quality light as either my main or my backup.

The inova T4 is a great light, about $100.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
out the door for under $100

Why get one light, when you can get two?
Eagletac T100C2 (new updated Q4 version of neutral-white, + OP reflector) can take 18650 & 2xcr123
and Eagletac P100C2 (also updated with Q4 N-W, but only smooth reflector) a bit shorter, and substantially lighter. can take 17670 & 2xcr123
both can use 16340, if you are into those.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever light you get, I know where you can get a holster for it.
(Shameless plug)
Most of my work is in the city, but I spend a lot of time in the outdoors with lights. My only recomendation as far as a light to serve your purpose is an incan or a warm tint LED. It gives much better depth perception. If I know I am going to need throw, I toss an ROP in the truck, but that would involve making it yourself or finding one on the Marketplace.

Latest posts