DVD burner laser diode... Burning (video)

dr_lava

Enlightened
A little while ago many of us had a group buy of cheap dvd burner laser diodes. While the diodes are in, we're still waiting on the shipment of lenses. In the mean time I did a little demo that I thought would be fun to post here given recent DVD burning thread. Not many red lasers can do this!

Heavily compressed for dialup users.

Vid1

Vid2

Enjoy!

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Senkat --

Nice video !! I machined a dvd diode holder from a greenie holder tonight. Removed all but one lens but it isnt the right focal length to get all the beam. I was up to 320 mA and could barely feel it but it was bright and focused. !!

Mike

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Cool vids! Looks like fun!

I just toasted mine 10mins ago :( Since Roithner laser doesn't seem to get my emails asking to buy the EU38 drivers, I took the driver from one of my AtlasNova CPF specials. I adjusted the lens to make a nice tight little spot useing low current, then progressively turned it up brighter and brighter. It was VERY strong, and had a pretty decently visible beam in a dimly lit room, with an insanely bright spot. I am impressed and pleased. Then I continued to turn up the power until it dimmed, and now its weaker than a <5mW... Poor little diode :(

Well, off to order more DVD burners!!! I dont really care for the diode case on the LDs in the liteon 18x burners, so if anyone knows of a model with a more friendly LD caseing I would appreciate knowing before I go and buy a bunch more.

Best Wishes!

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Just bought 5 LDs from Dr.Lava, and I allready bought a couple more models of DVD burner before that, so now I should have pleanty of little LDs to torture :D

I will keep you guys posted with the results :D

SenKat

Enlightened
dr_lava said:
Nice, what current are you running at?

I'm running it at 650ma, with a current limiting diode, a 1Kohm resistor, and a power led for looks ....you can SEE when this bad boy is lit up, no real need for the LED - but, I friggin love LED's !:popcorn:

SenKat

Enlightened
Hemlock Mike said:
Senkat --

Nice video !! I machined a dvd diode holder from a greenie holder tonight. Removed all but one lens but it isnt the right focal length to get all the beam. I was up to 320 mA and could barely feel it but it was bright and focused. !!

Mike

Thanks, man - I used an Aixiz 10mw module for the housing for the diode...focusing optics, AWESOME fit ( a LITTLE tough getting it in there 100% correct - but with patience, it CAN be done !)

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
I damaged the power lead on my diode mechanically tonight mounting it in the new heat sink :-( --- Dr_Lava ----- Where are you with diodes ????

Mike Connor

dr_lava

Enlightened
hey, there! I contacted a Chinese manufacturer offering the same lens/cases as in the group buy, so that I could go ahead and order from them now that it's taking so long to get them from the original supplier. Well, a few emails later they referred me to the original supplier, because she is in fact an employee of that company stationed over here in the states. Long story short, they said 'I guess you really want these' and re-shipped our lens/case order to the US for me before waiting for a larger order to build up. It should be In the U.S. in Texas next week, and I'll get them to 2nd-day it to me for distribution. Everyone who missed out on the lenses already has diodes from the GB, sorry! I guess that ol proverb applies 'last shall be first, first shall be last.'
Beleive me, I'm as anxious as you to get this over with!

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Dr_Lava --

I can see this is a nightmare !! That's why I don't want to try getting a hundred 808's from China.

My housing is all machined to fit into an old Leadlight and I busted the LD wire loose :-( Seems I always do everything right until the last moment ....

Thanks for your work here --

Mike Connor

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Stupid Me !! I took another DVD apart and harvested the "little precious" diodes. I very carefully soldered leads on the "red" diode and soooo carefully mounted it in my case assembly. What a sick beam !! Turned it up and it died :-(

Idiot - I had the IR diode. Another 45 minutes work and I'm red again. Now to bring up the mA... How much ??.... Wish my wattmeter had arrived.

Mike

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Senkat --

I watched your video again and you report 177 mW. Elswhere you report 650 mA to get it -- That's a gawdawful lot of current !! Is this a 5.6 mm can ?? What are you using for a current limiter? I assume your rechargeables are NiMH.

Mike

dr_lava

Enlightened
Well, I finally blew out one of mine in testing, so you're not alone. I was cranking up the current to 300mA and noted that the Voltage across the diode had risen to 3.3V. I then hooked it directly in series with 2 AA's that were showing a 3.25V resting potential. A flash of light! and it was gone. Post mortem autopsy concluded that it died of excessive inrush current. I'm going to be including a capacitor along with the resistor for our gropup buy kits to prevent just this. The cap should be installed parallel to the diode after the resistor.

On a different note, with focusing I was able to melt/burn a pinhole 800um wide and several millimeters deep into the black handle of a plastic screwdriver from about 2 feet. Right now I'm wondering if I leave it on long enough, will it cut an entire inch all the way through? hmmmmm

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Dr_Lava -

It looks like you were right on the edge. The new batteries may have dumped a surface charge to do that. When dealing with 0.01 +/- volts, you aren't fast enough to gather all the post mortem data !!!! I don't know if a RC time constant would have helped. I'm going to try using and old Leadlight APC on mine tonoght but the diode does not appear to have a feadback diode. I'll have to rely on balast resistor feedback.

Thanks for the good words -

Mike

dr_lava

Enlightened
it's not just about surface charge on the battery, it's dealing with the properties of the laser diode. It has different properties below and above lasing threshold, and if you spike it with enough voltage before it's lasing, it sucks in a lot more current than if it were in steady state. That diode I had driven all the way to 400mA steady state while it was lasing, so it wasn't on the edge at 300mA. The R/C circuit is intended to give the diode time to start lasing and increase its resistance before the full power is dumped into it. The alternative would be to simply increase the resistance and live with a lower steady state output power, but I don't want to do that to you guys.

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
It's funny how Ohm's law does not apply with semiconductor junctions. I've noticed the "knee" in the current curve as I adjust them up.

Thanks for the help and support. We all appreciate it.

Mike