Dynamo LED Driver Circuit - PCB available

MitchK

Newly Enlightened
Hi Martin,
I'd be using a 3 (or 4) Cree XR-E headlight (I want lots of output for commuting). I've seen your earlier designs...but this latest one actually seems "simpler" in that you've gone to the trouble of preparing a PCB. :)

Thanks for your email, by the way (I sent a reply). If there's room in the run, please put me down for 3 boards (for a 3-4 LED system, generator hub). I'm in the US.

Thanks,
Mitch

MitchK

Newly Enlightened
Hi Martin,
I'd be using a 3 (or 4) Cree XR-E headlight (I want lots of output for commuting). I've seen your earlier designs...but this latest one actually seems "simpler" in that you've gone to the trouble of preparing a PCB. :)

Thanks for your email, by the way (I sent a reply). If there's room in the run, please put me down for 3 boards (for a 3-4 LED system, generator hub). I'm in the US.

Thanks,
Mitch

Martin

Enlightened
Project documentation (link to design files above) updated.

Is it possible to add a remote switch to one part of the circuit to force voltage doubling - this would allow you to turn down the light (when cycling behind someone) or simply to save leg power (especially with 6 LEDs).

What is the approx. cost of the components ?

Others,
............ has anyone considered a group buy of the BOM or the switcher chips?

Regards,
Leo

To force voltage doubling, connect pins 5 and 8 of IC1. I will add this to an FAQ-sheet in the project documentation.

Approx cost of the components (without dynamo, headlight LEDs and mechanical parts) is below EUR 10, but depending a lot on where you shop. I order from Reichelt.de and while their resistors are rather expensive, they do sell single components.

Group buy ? This is making it too easy, too many folks are going to build this. It's gonna be a support nightmare for me..

Eamon

Newly Enlightened
Thanking you again, Martin.
Apparently I'm not the only electronics rookie on this thread. I suspect that your idea of "easy" and mine are....different. All part of acquired expertise and all good fun.
Question:
Is there an easily available knowledge base to help complete rookies like myself and Mitch? Something like "electronics for the complete morphodite?". Enough that novices can work out their own capacitor and resistor values, and things like switch placement. Enough that every small adaptation for 2/3/4/6 LED's doesn't get referred to you and others on this forum? It would be nice to be able to read a schematic.
It would also be good to minimize the support nightmare.
On a separate note, is it too late to put myself in for two more of the boards? I'm already in for three, and I would like to up it to 5.

All 5 for hub dynamos, all for 3 or 6 emitters, and all to the US.

Respectfully,
Eamon Stanley

MitchK

Newly Enlightened
Hi Eamon,
There's probably some good material online somewhere that others could recommend. Also if you like books, I'm finding that this one (link to amazon.com) is very good for getting up to speed on basic concepts, reading schematics, etc. After spending some time with that book, I'm already finding some of Martin's simpler schematics much less intimidating. My first project will probably be his manually switched high-power circuit on this page.
Regards,
Mitch

Martin

Enlightened
Eamon, I hope this is not a panic buy. OK, 5 for you.
I'm trying to put all relevant information into the xls that accompanies the design files (link above).
May I recommend another piece of reading: The datasheet of the LM2907 and its application notes.

If you are really determined to play with the component values of the circuit, you ought to have a basic oscilloscope, two multimeters, a setup where the dynamo is coupled to a motor. Without these things, it's really better to let someone else adapt the values as required. If for example you reduce the values of the tuning caps C1..C4, the voltage across Q1,2 increases. The highest voltage occurs at one specific speed and without thorough measurement, you might miss that you exceed the max rating.

Eddy

Newly Enlightened
Hi Eamon,
There's probably some good material online somewhere that others could recommend. Also if you like books, I'm finding that this one (link to amazon.com) is very good for getting up to speed on basic concepts, reading schematics, etc. After spending some time with that book, I'm already finding some of Martin's simpler schematics much less intimidating. My first project will probably be his manually switched high-power circuit on this page.
Regards,
Mitch

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=cpf0b6-20

This one would be next.

iggs

Newly Enlightened
Martin

I'd like to put myself down for a couple of these please

2 x 3 led hub

I'll email too

Ian

Martin

Enlightened
The v2.1 boards have arrived and tested good. I'm now ready to sent them out to you.
The cost is EUR 3.80 each plus shipping (approx EUR 2 within Europe and typically EUR 4 to US or Australia).

Those who haven't PMed me their shipping address, please do.

any chance a completed PCB would be available?
Not planning to offer this myself. Anyone ?

So everyone take note: What you are getting here are unpopulated PCBs, not modules with all components on ! Beyond the PCB, you need the electronic components. You have to put them on the PCB, attach a few off-PCB components, test the assembly, align the potentiometer.

Last edited:

ktronik

Enlightened
Let me get these min-T's out of the way... but I may be able to help...

I could offer built & boxed units... see how I go when I get mine...

K

Martin

Enlightened
Kerry, I need your current shipping address. The one I have is likely outdated.
My stock of PCBs is now depleted except for the ones I've reserved for you and Dom.

For the built units, do you intend manual fitting and soldering ?

Martin

Enlightened
A new set of design files is available:
The xls inside the zip now contains images that clearly show how to wire the off-board capacitors.
Some obvious mistakes (omissions) in the BOM have been corrected, too.
And the FAQ has been extended.
Get this, before you order parts and start the assembly. It should answer most of the questions that arise.

The images in the first post have changed, too. They now reflect board v2.1, the old ones showed v2.0 which is not going to ship ever. The link to the design files is updated, too.

Last edited:

Martin

Enlightened
Gentlemen,
today I received the second batch of v2.1, enough to satisfy ALL request.
To reward you for your patience, these circuit boards now have WHITE PRINT at no extra cost !
I will pack them over the weekend and ship them on Monday.

ktronik

Enlightened
I now have both units 3 & 6 LED up & running, the 3 LED system is great for that light weight setup...

But the 6 LED unit is super!!! Best light I have ever tried... I really get my cake & to eat it as well!

I get the same power response down low like the 3 led PCB, but with extra efficiency, as I am now driving current into 6 leds, so more Lm / Watt, so more light! But as I go faster the power really ramps up... bags of power for any type of riding

I have it running in to 3 crees with 10deg optics (for punch) & 3 seouls for flood. so I get the best of both worlds in every respect! I have my crees (punch) pointed up the road & the floody seouls pointed down the road (in front) + their is 2 different tints so colour retention is better as well. as I am running @ 500ma across the string, I get no 'colour shift' in the seouls.

I love the fact that I am riding the max power curve of the hub all the time, thanks to Martins NEW circuit & now running the efficiency band (below 500ma) on the LEDs

As a LED light builder, I could not ask for MORE from my LED use or a better use of my dynamos power. Again, well done Martin, this is the ultimate lighting setup for commuting or 24hr off-road racing.

:grin2::D:twothumbs

Best

K

Last edited:

Martin

Enlightened
Meanwhile I have sent out over 50 PCBs and received payment to cover more than my cost. I'm not tracking this systematically, but I noticed some of you have been very generous. I was to too lazy to respond to every "payment received" notice, so please accept my thanks this way. :thanks:

The support-nightmare that I expected did not happen. I've been contacted by only two members who got stuck with the project, but all mistakes were quickly identified.
I'm really impressed how the majority of flashoholics do it first time right ! :D

Ritar Hylon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the amazing work so far!

Second version will be with stand light using linear regulation and that would best fit a LiIon reservoir. I may put an optional strobe feature which shouldn't need more than 2 transistors.

:whistle:

Martin

Enlightened
@Ritar Hylon:
in order to have a stand light for the tail, do this:

Get a German-standard 6V dynamo LED tail light with stand light feature, like the B&M Toplight Flat plus. Connect this across the 2 lowest LEDs of the LED string. Polarity doesn't matter, as the tail light has a rectifier inside.

When you do this, be aware that short circuit of the tail light will shunt a part of the LED string, so that the smoothing capacitor of the circuit will drive a rather high current through the remaining LED(s) of the string. This will probably do damage to the LEDs.
You can eliminate this risk by splitting the smoothing capacitor into two, one connected across the LED(s) that has/have the tail light in parallel, one connected across the remaining LED(s) of the string. The capacitance of these parts has to be twice the capacitance of the previously-used smoothing capacitor while their voltage can be reduced (a minimum of 4V per LED).
The cable to the tail light must be electrically isolated from the frame of the bike, which may be connected to the dynamo.

If you'd like to have the stand light feature for both head- and tail light, be patient (and use a flashlight for the time being). I have a concept that I'm not perfectly happy with so I'm not motivated to start on a PCB for this right now...
The main issue is, that charging the reservoir eats some of the dynamo's energy and charging the reservoir QUICKLY costs a very noticeable amount of light. To reduce the impact from this, I need to have a switch that selects trickle-charge & light (rural riding with a lot of light output), fast-charge & light (city riding with frequent traffic lights), fastest charge without light (topping up the battery during short daytime hops), off (bike parked). So much complexity and less light output.. Need a better idea.

dom

Enlightened
The support-nightmare that I expected did not happen. I've been contacted by only two members who got stuck with the project, but all mistakes were quickly identified.
I'm really impressed how the majority of flashoholics do it first time right ! :D

Hehe -i haven't started mine yet.
Thanks for your time and boards Martin.
You mention a FAQ .Where might this be please?

Cheers
Dom

Latest posts